Cat throwing up hairballs..

mommytobuck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
To the mods.. I started to do a new thread as the other one is getting long.

So my 16 year old Cat has been throwing up.. pretty constantly for about 3 months now. Last week I took him to the vet and they found nothing obviously wrong. There are still some tests out for thyroid but I suspect even if it is an issue the issue is very low. His T4 was slighly abnormal... He tends to throw up about every 5 to 8 days. And recently it seems to be getting more frequent.

The throw up seems to be sort of clear liquid with hair in it. As I have really watched the hair he might be ingesting the amount of hair in the throw up is less.

I have tried hairball remedies... such as Cat Lax and other remedies... so far hasn't worked.
I have tried Pepcid AC, that seems to do something, but, either it doesn't work, is too low a dose, or perhaps sometimes the dose wears off and he throws up.

It is a kind of throw up that seems.. best guess -- to happen when he is hungry or has an empty stomach. From about 4 AM to 7 AM. Even though I release some dry food from an automatic feeder (at 3 AM) he doesn't always eat it.

At this moment these are my guesses
1. hairballs (remedies haven't seemed to work)
2. Acid stomach (1/4th a pepcid pill hasn't seemed to work)
3. Some back up liquid in the stomach related to his asthma / COPD. (he fights be lately on the dose and I wonder if he is getting enough)
4. Anxiety... when he was out cold last week with Gabapentin (for the vet visit) I didn't see anything. He has gotten used to me feeing him being home during the pandemic and now maybe gets upset and scared when he doesn't get his wet food? He is a very anxious cat over all. And I am home all the time now, though I am expected to go back to work in a month.
5. After effects of taking (sparingly) Meloxicam. Maybe a stomach ulcer / inflammation.

Now some people seem to think it is ok for him to throw up every 5 or so days, but to me, I worry about the effect that will have on his estophogus / teeth. Even I could get it down to once per month I would be happy.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Strawberry Purrs

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay, I'm a little confused by that, but I guess short hairs can get hair balls too.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, short haired cats get hairballs. At least mine do. The same time every time--usually 3 or 4 in the morning, too.

They usually cough up a hairball maybe, once a month. They're quite calm cats, outgoing, and nothing much bothers them, if that helps. I think a lot of their hairballs come from allogrooming though. I have a long-haired orange girl, and all the hairballs have a goodly amount of orange hair in them.

I just accept it as a normal function on having a cat.

Strawberry Purrs

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have more 2 recommendations that might work (from my vet):

"1. See his vet for a senior profile bloodwork panel and thorough physical exam. The blood work will tell you how the kidney and liver are doing along with how his blood cells are doing. Kidney disease causes anemia.

2. You can try some Laxatone, made for hairballs and you find this at your vet or most pet stores. This helps move the hair to go out in the feces instead of being vomited up. I would not do this in lieu of seeing the vet but in addition to."

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mommytobuck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just accept it as a normal function on having a cat.
I would be fine if it was once per month but it is once every five days. That can't be good.

mommytobuck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have more 2 recommendations that might work (from my vet):

"1. See his vet for a senior profile bloodwork panel and thorough physical exam. The blood work will tell you how the kidney and liver are doing along with how his blood cells are doing. Kidney disease causes anemia.

2. You can try some Laxatone, made for hairballs and you find this at your vet or most pet stores. This helps move the hair to go out in the feces instead of being vomited up. I would not do this in lieu of seeing the vet but in addition to."
I have done both. Thanks for the suggestion though

Last edited by a moderator:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The original post indicated I had been to the vet also information about the Cat Lax but alas.. someone didn't read the post.
That is why I added a link to your previous thread - that is the only way anyone is going to know about it and read it if they so choose. There will be members who are not familiar with you nor where they might go to search for your other thread. I thought it would be helpful to include it here.

mommytobuck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That is why I added a link to your previous thread - that is the only way anyone is going to know about it and read it if they so choose. There will be members who are not familiar with you nor where they might go to search for your other thread. I thought it would be helpful to include it here.
I truely don't understand... in the opening post to this thread I laid all the information out. Why would they need another thread? If they can't read the first post of this thread why are they going to go through the other one?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I truely don't understand... in the opening post to this thread I laid all the information out. Why would they need another thread? If they can't read the first post of this thread why are they going to go through the other one?
I don't believe that Cat Lax and Laxatone are the exact same thing. I am guessing some others are under the same impression. And, since not all products work the same on all cats, you will likely be offered suggestions for items that are similar but not necessarily comprised of the exact same ingredients in the exact same strengths.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I just spent an inordinate amount of time reading through your other thread. I know your cat had 'tummy x-rays' some time ago, but I could not find anywhere that he has gone through an abdominal ultrasound. If I missed it, please accept my apologies.

If I am not mistaken about an ultrasound, since you have found a way to 'sedate' him adequately with Gabapentin, do you think it would be worth it to ask your vet about an ultrasound? It may or may not identify anything, but you have tried just about everything else to no avail. I know you are willing to do just about anything to help Buckwheat.

Also, things I wasn't sure I understood:
Some back up liquid in the stomach related to his asthma / COPD. (he fights be lately on the dose and I wonder if he is getting enough)
Can you explain further, please?
It is a kind of throw up that seems.. best guess -- to happen when he is hungry or has an empty stomach. From about 4 AM to 7 AM. Even though I release some dry food from an automatic feeder (at 3 AM) he doesn't always eat it.
Have you tried an automatic feeder that would offer him canned food instead?
Now some people seem to think it is ok for him to throw up every 5 or so days, but to me, I worry about the effect that will have on his esophagus / teeth. Even I could get it down to once per month I would be happy.
There isn't likely to be much effect, especially if he eats and/or drinks shortly thereafter.

Really trying to help...

mommytobuck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just spent an inordinate amount of time reading through your other thread. I know your cat had 'tummy x-rays' some time ago, but I could not find anywhere that he has gone through an abdominal ultrasound. If I missed it, please accept my apologies.
I might have to do that. But I want to see if I can work it out first. As you know I did a trip to the vet and came back empty handed - having to work it out myself anyway.

Some back up liquid in the stomach related to his asthma / COPD. (he fights be lately on the dose and I wonder if he is getting enough)
I suspect that his asthma causes excess fluid in his lungs to build up and somehow - swallowing it - that excess fluid gets into his stomach and makes him nausiated. This goes along with his eyes watering from time to time... excess fluid builds up and leaks out his eyes. The vet kept assuming it was a problem with the eye but this recent visit the vet thought the eyes were fine - it seems like it is a sign of excessive fluid in the respiratory tract.

One thing I know I haven't been doing well is keeping up with his asthma meds. Partly that is on him because he fights me.

There isn't likely to be much effect, especially if he eats and/or drinks shortly thereafter.
Really trying to help...
Yes thank you I do appreciate it... but why do you say that? If true that might make me happier.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I suspect that his asthma causes excess fluid in his lungs to build up and somehow - swallowing it - that excess fluid gets into his stomach and makes him nausiated...it seems like it is a sign of excessive fluid in the respiratory tract..One thing I know I haven't been doing well is keeping up with his asthma meds. Partly that is on him because he fights me.
In regular aspiration, fluids can go from the stomach/esophagus to the lungs through excessive coughing, vomiting, or perhaps even swallowing issues. The only way for fluid from his lungs to reach his stomach would theoretically be 'reverse-aspiration'. That said, I know people can cough up 'stuff' from their bronchial tubes/lungs and (sorry for the grossness level) then swallow it into their stomachs. So, that might be something to pursue! Maybe a full-scale ultrasound beyond just the abdomen?
Yes thank you I do appreciate it... but why do you say that? If true, that might make me happier.
I merely meant that if he doesn't go too long after throwing up before he drinks/eats it would most likely 'cleanse'/wash his mouth and esophagus from any caustic materials from the gastric juices. It would certainly help if you ensure he drinks/eats shortly afterward.

mommytobuck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That said, I know people can cough up 'stuff' from their bronchial tubes/lungs and (sorry for the grossness level) then swallow it into their stomachs. So, that might be something to pursue! Maybe a full-scale ultrasound beyond just the abdomen?
I merely meant that if he doesn't go too long after throwing up before he drinks/eats it would most likely 'cleanse'/wash his mouth and esophagus from any caustic materials from the gastric juices. It would certainly help if you ensure he drinks/eats shortly afterward.
Well no I can't really be sure of that. He typically throws up when I am not around and thus only find the remainders. I wonder also if he does more than I know because I have a black rug and if he throws up there I might never know about it (though in the summer with bare feet I usually feel it)

On the fluid in the stomach I got it from regular asthma sites talking about phlem causing stomach upset.. and or gastro upset being associated with asthma... and vomiting is a symptom of Asthma in cats ... but typically they have said that it was due to the coughing. My cat rarely coughs anymore unless I don't give him medication for like a week.

I also thought about it because my cat has been snoring when sleeping and that is something new... is that a hint that his asthma isn't well controlled?

I put a lot of these thoughts into an email for my vet that I will send tomorrow.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
On the fluid in the stomach I got it from regular asthma sites talking about phlem causing stomach upset.. and or gastro upset being associated with asthma... and vomiting is a symptom of Asthma in cats ... but typically they have said that it was due to the coughing. My cat rarely coughs anymore unless I don't give him medication for like a week.
That is what I am talking about - the phelm. It doesn't go into the stomach without it being coughed up from the lungs into the digestive tract (perhaps, through these 'hairball' incidents?). There is literally no way I know of for it to get from one location to the other, elsewise.
I also thought about it because my cat has been snoring when sleeping and that is something new... is that a hint that his asthma isn't well controlled?
Snoring is a good indication of either asthma and/or COPD.