Cat Throwing Up Every 2 Days, Is It Because Of Worms

Meomongmo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat has recently been throwing up for every 40-48 hours-ish. The first time I saw it was a hairball, then food, then she just throw up water or whatever is left in her stomach. After that she seems tired and not eat for about 8 hours but after that she eating healthy again for about 4 to 5 meals later then the vomit continues. She had this problem in the past and the vet said it was due to a digestive disorder that kittens usually have. It took a while for her to get better but now 7 months later it happens again. I’m asuming it could be due to hairball or worm because other than the vomiting she seems active. Should I deworm her?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Too many questions. How old is she now? Does she go outside - if not, why would you guess worms? What was the digestive disorder the vet thought she had as a kitten? With the vomiting, first a hairball, then food, then just water - were they all within a short period of time? Did you change foods recently? Is she eating/drinking OK? Litterbox usage OK? Can you give us more information?

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
When that happened to my cat, I took her to the vet and she end up having IBD. If a cat has a hairball it would not happen continuously like that.I dont think Worms would cause that. She could also be allergic to food or eating too fast. I would take her to a vet since it's been a past problem.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Meomongmo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She’s about a year old. She’s an indoor only cat but my guess is worms because she tends to eat random things and food like paper or plastic or going throw the trash can and she’s very active. And I do my best to hide them from her but it’s possible that she can still find other things to chew on, and the last time I deworm her the vomiting reduces so much. The vet said it was a symtoms of week stomach in kittens, he gave her medicine to make it better but only after the deworming that the problem stops and i havent dewormed her since then so that is my guess

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She’s about a year old. She’s an indoor only cat but my guess is worms because she tends to eat random things and food like paper or plastic or going throw the trash can and she’s very active. And I do my best to hide them from her but it’s possible that she can still find other things to chew on, and the last time I deworm her the vomiting reduces so much. The vet said it was a symtoms of week stomach in kittens, he gave her medicine to make it better but only after the deworming that the problem stops and i havent dewormed her since then so that is my guess
Eating paper, etc won't give a cat worms. A cat would have to eat a mouse or something that already has worms in order to become infected.

Is there another vet you can go to for a second opinion? "Weak stomachs" in kittens is unusual and may indicate something more serious. What do you normally feed your cat? Food sensitivities is pretty common and can cause vomiting.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She’s an indoor only cat but my guess is worms because she tends to eat random things and food like paper or plastic or going throw the trash can and she’s very active.
None of those things will give her worms. You can't just make assumptions and give unnecessary medications. Plus there are a huge variety of worms cats can get, how will you know what to treat for? Daily vomiting is serious and there is likely a cause for it. I would take her in for a check up and take along a fecal too to rule out any internal parasites. Have some blood work done on her and try a sensitive diet for awhile. They can also prescribe Cerenia which is an anti-nausea medication.

Meomongmo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When that happened to my cat, I took her to the vet and she end up having IBD. If a cat has a hairball it would not happen continuously like that.I dont think Worms would cause that. She could also be allergic to food or eating too fast. I would take her to a vet since it's been a past problem.
How was she treated, was her symtoms like mine? Did it occur again after treatments. I want to know in case I need to ask my vet if it is IBD since the last time this happened he just gave her anti-biotic and anti-nausea shot

Meomongmo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
None of those things will give her worms. You can't just make assumptions and give unnecessary medications. Plus there are a huge variety of worms cats can get, how will you know what to treat for? Daily vomiting is serious and there is likely a cause for it. I would take her in for a check up and take along a fecal too to rule out any internal parasites. Have some blood work done on her and try a sensitive diet for awhile. They can also prescribe Cerenia which is an anti-nausea medication.
It's not because she eats random things, I'm just adding that to the mention that I haven't dewormed her for the last 7 months. I aware that I should take her to the vet but I want to know just what to say because if I describe the symtoms he will just think it's like last time and gave her anti-biotic & anti-nausea shot.

Meomongmo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Eating paper, etc won't give a cat worms. A cat would have to eat a mouse or something that already has worms in order to become infected.

Is there another vet you can go to for a second opinion? "Weak stomachs" in kittens is unusual and may indicate something more serious. What do you normally feed your cat? Food sensitivities is pretty common and can cause vomiting.
She chews on a lot of things, paper is just a common thing i caught her eating, she could probably ate some random insects when I'm not around. And other than throwing up every 2 days she still eats and drink normally. The signs can be fimiliar to when she eat something wrong but since it happens after every 4 to 5 meals for the last 3 days I'm not sure

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
How was she treated, was her symtoms like mine? Did it occur again after treatments. I want to know in case I need to ask my vet if it is IBD since the last time this happened he just gave her anti-biotic and anti-nausea shot
Similar. It wasn't after eating or hairball. She continuously threw up water throughout the night. Vet gave her an xray which showed nothing then suggested an internal medacine doctor who gave her an ultrasound. No biopsy because it can be unsafe for a cat. She was on prednisolone and limited ingredient diet. She was on pred for 3 years. Vomiting stopped

Burts

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat had a major throw up fit in febuary 2019, ibd was mentioned but I took him off royal canin urinary so and he never had that happen again....Hes now on some royal canin gastrointestinal but I mix it with iams and he gets canned now and it never happened since...Occasional throw ups but nothin serious

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It could just be a food sensitivity. What are you feeding her? Has her diet changed at all in the time you have had her?
I don't know why they would give an antibiotic for vomiting but the anti-nausea shot or pill is definitely going to help her, although won't get to the root of the problem.

Meomongmo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Similar. It wasn't after eating or hairball. She continuously threw up water throughout the night. Vet gave her an xray which showed nothing then suggested an internal medacine doctor who gave her an ultrasound. No biopsy because it can be unsafe for a cat. She was on prednisolone and limited ingredient diet. She was on pred for 3 years. Vomiting stopped
Mine had this problem when she was little and then it stops for about 2 months later, then now it happens again. Was yours throw up very often or once a couple of days? did she throw up anything other bile or color besides water?

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine had this problem when she was little and then it stops for about 2 months later, then now it happens again. Was yours throw up very often or once a couple of days? did she throw up anything other bile or color besides water?
Just water. Started when she was 13

Meomongmo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It could just be a food sensitivity. What are you feeding her? Has her diet changed at all in the time you have had her?
I don't know why they would give an antibiotic for vomiting but the anti-nausea shot or pill is definitely going to help her, although won't get to the root of the problem.
Because the last time vet thought i could have lead to an inflamation as well so they gave her that to prevent it. I usually feed her adult wet cat food but since to vomiting I feed her kitten wet food with some enzyme and she stops vomiting after 2 meals so I stop giving that to her, then last night after meals I caught her munching on a piece of chicken from my dad's bowl so I threw it away, but then about an hour or 2 later she starts vomiting again, she loves chicken and I still give it as a treat sometimes but not since the vomiting starts

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Was the chicken seasoned with anything? Plain boiled chicken should be fine for her to have, in fact that is often recommended when pets are vomiting and diarrhea since it isn't so harsh on their systems. But unsalted and unseasoned of course. On the other hand, she may also have an intolerance for chicken if it was in fact just plain chicken. It can be very hard to figure out sometimes. Maybe try a main food with a different protein and avoid whatever protein is in her current diet. See if that changes anything.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When my cat did this it was because her tummy couldn't tolerate her wet food variety. By a process of elimination, we figured out that she couldn't tolerate anything with fish in it. Many kitties can't tolerate fish or chicken in their wet food.

Meomongmo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The chicken was from my dad's bowl so yes it was seasoned and sauced, she eats plain kitchen on a daily basis and is fine with it.

Meomongmo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When my cat did this it was because her tummy couldn't tolerate her wet food variety. By a process of elimination, we figured out that she couldn't tolerate anything with fish in it. Many kitties can't tolerate fish or chicken in their wet food.
Mine still eats fish & chicken fine a couple of days ago, it's only for the past 5 days that she starts to vomit every 40 hours or 4 to 5 meals-ish.