Cat throwing up BEFORE eating

gunblade

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah this is a bit weird. I have a 8 month mommy that calls to me when she is hungry. Roughly for the last 2 weeks, she has thrown up 3 to 5 times.

Her and I go through the normal ritual of her calling me. I pet her and she tells me, "NO silly, i'm hungry." So i walk over to get some wet can food (whiskers, fish, purina, chicken). she rubs her face on the metal can several times approving it before I open it. Then as I am portioning it on her (and kittens) food bowl she sometimes walks away and I start hearing heaving.

She heaves 7-10 times before she throws up yellowish liquid. There is nothing solid. After a few seconds she comes back and sometimes eats and sometimes doesn't.

She otherwise looks great. She's a short hair cat and I don't believe it to be hairballs. Again over the past 2 weeks she has done this at least 3 times. So its not a daily occurrence and I'm not too worried yet.

P.S. I just realized that I started applying roach spray a few feet away from where I feed them. (I live in a 3 room apartment so there really is not much room) If anyone has any roach spray that is safe for cats, would be great. ATM after I head shot these pesky roaches and dispose of their bodies, I keep all cats away for 30 minutes. I dont know if there might be residual spray. That is my #1 suspect right now.

Last edited:

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd wash the floors. You can use Murphys oil soap which actually is an insecticide, I have used it on my floors. Don't let the cat walk on floors til dry. I bought a cat safe lemongrass spray at Lowes a few years back, but it has a strong scent and you can't apply where cats walk because it'll burn there footpads.

Sounds like your cat might also have a bit of a weak esophagus or acid. I don't know what can help with acid reflux in cats, but might be it. Also, as noted, your cat might be over hungry. If she's a kitten she needs to eat more than an adult. If she's a mama then even more.
You say she's a mommy. so yes, could be hairballs. Couldn't hurt to buy otc hairball med and give her some as directed on the tube.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

gunblade

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How often do you feed her?
Usually 1 5.5 ounce can when I wake up and get home followed by a 3 ounce can about an hour afterwards. I have 5 kittens that eat first and mommy cleans up what's left. The 3 ounce can is usually just for her.

Daily between mommy, uncle and 5 kittens they eat about 3-4 5.5 ounce cans with anytime dry food for kittens.

P.S. I noticed she three up overnight as well. Same as before, very little and just liquid. I'll get some cleaning supplies and scrub the entire kitchen down.

On a side note, the litter box is about 5 feet away with a 3ft devide between to keep the areas separate. It's been like that since before she had kittens so I don't think it's an issue.
Again I don't have the floor space to separate them practically.

Thanks for the responses.

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Usually 1 5.5 ounce can when I wake up and get home followed by a 3 ounce can about an hour afterwards. I have 5 kittens that eat first and mommy cleans up what's left. The 3 ounce can is usually just for her.

Daily between mommy, uncle and 5 kittens they eat about 3-4 5.5 ounce cans with anytime dry food for kittens.

P.S. I noticed she three up overnight as well. Same as before, very little and just liquid. I'll get some cleaning supplies and scrub the entire kitchen down.

On a side note, the litter box is about 5 feet away with a 3ft devide between to keep the areas separate. It's been like that since before she had kittens so I don't think it's an issue.
Again I don't have the floor space to separate them practically.

Thanks for the responses.
Its odd.  Sometimes cats throw up bile because they are hungry and expecting a meal and they secrete stomach acid in anticipation of the meal causing them to throw up.  Usually increasing the frequency of feeding solves this so they don't have to wait as long for a meal.  But your cat throws up as soon as she sees the meal is coming.  Are you feeding twice a day?  If yes, you could try increasing it to three times a day and see if that helps, but if it doesn't i would see a vet.  Another possible solution is 2.5mg of pepcid AC about a half hour before the meal, thats 1/4 of a standard 10mg pill, but talk to your vet first before starting any therapy even an OTC pill like pepcid.