Cat threw up blood - vet didn't find anything out of the ordinary.

rinnyfer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all, a week ago my cat threw up blood. I took him to the vet and they did blood work and xrays. We had to wait a few days to get the results, but in the mean time they gave him anti-nausea medication, stomach ulcer meds, and anti-acid meds. He did great until Friday where he threw up a bit more blood (tiny, tiny bit) and it looked like a blot clot. On Monday morning, my cat threw up again and there was no blood in it, instead it was a light brown. Again, it was a very small amount of vomit. I kept my vet updated on all of this. We got the blood work and xrays back and everything was normal. Meanwhile, my cat is acting completely normal. He's eating, peeing. I think he got a bit constipated from the meds so I'm giving him Miralax. He's drinking more water, too. But other than that he's full of energy and acts normal. My vet said because he's acting normal that she thinks we should just monitor him and see how he's doing and if he gets worse take him in. I am so lost because he vomited blood and yet they found nothing wrong with him. How can this happen? Has anyone had an experience like this?

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
It happened to my cat once. I assume that's why her water bowl was red. There are many causes. She has crystals. She could have simply eaten an unknown particle or her gi tract was inflamed. Even gingivitis or like you said, a blood clot. Your vet is right. Closely monitor including the litter box.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
It sounds as if your vet is treating your cat for an inflamed GI tract which could produce blood. Usually red blood is from the upper GI tract and darker blood is from the lower. If your cat had some issue that has now been resolved with the meds, he is probably improving. Watching is not a bad suggestion, but if you feel that anything is not right, go immediately back to the vet. Otherwise, get in touch with the vet and tell her that you are not comfortable with waiting for the next episode and would like to know if anything else can be done to see if another problem exists. Was the first vomiting a very large amount of blood?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rinnyfer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It sounds as if your vet is treating your cat for an inflamed GI tract which could produce blood. Usually red blood is from the upper GI tract and darker blood is from the lower. If your cat had some issue that has now been resolved with the meds, he is probably improving. Watching is not a bad suggestion, but if you feel that anything is not right, go immediately back to the vet. Otherwise, get in touch with the vet and tell her that you are not comfortable with waiting for the next episode and would like to know if anything else can be done to see if another problem exists. Was the first vomiting a very large amount of blood?
It was about a handful of blood. Not super bright, but not super dark.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Dark usually means like coffee grounds, so you would notice that if it had been the case. A handful seems like a good amount, so I would keep an eye on this.