Cat third eyelid question

sapphire34

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

I'm looking to adopt a new cat, after losing my beloved Sapphire to cancer. I'm a bit paranoid about adopting a cat with health problems. I know there's no way to predict the future, and I'm prepared for any unforeseen health issues down the road. What I don't want to do is knowingly adopt a cat that is unhealthy.

One thing that has me confused when meeting a potential cat is whether their third eyelids showing means they're sick. From what I've read, the third eyelid shouldn't be seen. However, I've met lots of seemingly healthy cats whose third eyelid appears to be showing. I've attached photos of three random cats that I've seen on some cat rescue websites in my area... they all have third eyelids showing. Does this mean they're unhealthy, or is it just that their eye's anatomy is a little different. Perhaps you'll tell me those aren't even third eyelids! I've been trying to find answers to this but have come up short.

Thank you in advance!!!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't see anything abnormal with the third eyelids in the pictures above.  If it was covering a third or more of the eye, then it would be something to be concerned about. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sapphire34

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Huh. Well, that's good to know! I wonder why all the stuff I've read has made such a big deal about third eyelids?

Thank you, Stephanietx.