Cat That Has Not Been Spayed

bunnysass

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi.

I have a question about a cat I found that has not been spayed yet. I apologize if this is the wrong forum. This is my first cat and its all new to me.
We found Luna at a farm last Sunday. She was freezing in 20 degree weather and starving. The owners of the farm told me that I could take her, that people abandon animals at the farm all the time and they could not afford to feed them all. I live in an apartment that charges a $550 nonrefundable pet fee. I am building a house and will be moving into it within the next 6 weeks, so needless to say I do not want to pay the fee! I realize it sounds a little unethical, but I really want to keep her and can not afford the pet fee. I have an appointment next week to get her spayed and first round of shots. The problem right now, is that there is a stray cat that has been howling at our window ALL day long. I live on the second floor. Is it possible he can smell her from that far away? She sits in her bed by the window but I don't think it's possible he could see her.
If I am forced to the pay the fee, I will have to take her to a shelter which I really do not want to do. She is an incredibly sweet cat and we want to keep her. Is there anything I can do to 'make' the cat downstairs go away or conceal her smell? I am pretty sure one of the neighbors will complain about the cat below very soon.

Thank you for any advice!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t think that the outside cat can smell yours a couple floors up. And your neighbors don’t necessarily know that you have a cat, do they? If not they may get irritated by this cat but won’t blame it on you. I would try to be as discrete as you can for the next few weeks and hopefully you won’t be found out. If you are, you may be close enough to move date that you can board her if you have too or find a short term foster for her. You might want to plan in advance for that possibility by checking with shelters explain your dilemma and see if they have anyone who might foster her for a low fee.

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Many people sneak their pets into their apartments. I know a couple of cat and dog owners who have. The apartment fees are outrageous just to have a kitty. Not only do apartments require a non-refundable pet charge of $525 or more per kitty, they also increase your rent $30 dollars more along with the pet charge. Then people wonder why so many cats end up in kill shelters. These regulations should be lifted. Let the leasing office use the regular rent deposit money in case there are any damages caused by a cat, not an additional pet deposit.

Last edited:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I think you should just play innocent about the cat outside. As long as the cat you have indoors is quiet there is no reason anyone will blame you. Female cats are very noisy when they go into heat, but if you are having her spayed soon you won't have to worry about that.

Thank you for taking her in. It breaks my heart when people just dump their pets like that.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh yes, it's possible that the stray boy cat can smell her! When Maggie was in heat when she first came here, the boy cats from next door came running. I had her out in the garage, and the neighbor boy cats came to the garage door. Our garage is pretty far from their house. Any chance you could get the boy cat neutered too?

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Many people sneak their pets into their apartments. I know a couple of cat and dog owners who have. The apartment fees are outrageous just to have a kitty. Not only do apartments require a non-refundable pet charge of $525 or more per kitty, they also increase your rent $30 dollars more along with the pet charge. Then people wonder why so many cats end up in kill shelters. These regulations should be lifted. Let the leasing office use the regular rent deposit money in case there are any damages caused by a cat, not an additional pet deposit.
That's crazy! Mine just has a $100 one time pet fee. You are limited to one dog or up to two cats, but I thought it was entirely reasonable. What you're describing certainly isn't.