Cat That Doesn't Make Vocal Sounds

destinyz12

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I brought home a 5 month old kitten 2 weeks ago, and I have noticed that he has never meowed or made any kind of vocal sounds so far. He does purr a lot, but that's it for sound. My resident cat is very vocal, the complete opposite. He's gone through quite a bit where most normal cats would have made some sounds at some point, such as being brought home from rescue in the car for a good 15 minute ride, getting nails clipped-which he hated, was bullied a bit by resident cat in the beginning, and now they play together, but fairly rough sometimes. In general he's pretty comfortable and has warmed up very well to all of us, but not once has he made a vocal noise. Is there anything to be concerned about? My main concern is when the 2 cats are playing rough, him not letting anyone know that it's too rough or if the other cat is hurting him.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Cats aren't very vocal naturally. As kittens they make sounds to find or get Moms attention. As adults they make mating or warning sounds. That is about it. In a human home is when they become more vocal and most sounds are to communicate with their human caretakers.

I would bet he just doesn't feel a need to communicate with you. Should the older cat push him too far he will make the necessary sounds to communicate that.

I have a little girl who was feral until 4 months old. She rarely makes any noises (she is now 2 years old). I think I here her squeak if I don't notice her quick enough maybe once a month and sometimes when being pet if I am not petting the right spot. But if her brothers get to rough she will let them know.

elliesvictim

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Cat don't meow. It's something they teach themselves to communicate with humans. Some research suggests every meow language is unique to each cat/human.
My cat didn't meow at all until about 9 months, now she's very "mouthy"

Geoffrey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sukie, our 2 year old Blue crossed with an Alley cat (see Avatar) has never meowed, but she can squeak in anticipation when she is being given food. However she can speak loudly enough when the local Tom comes around. Sukie has been spayed and regards the Tom as an interloper, worthy of a howling match and Sukie has a very loud howl when she wants to use it!

Don't worry if your cat never meows, I agree with Kieka Kieka that she has never seen the need so far. I am sure that she will make a sound when the time to make one comes.
Geoffrey

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dante is a petty quiet cat ... he is just starting to meow at me at 10 years old. I taught my cats to sit for food/puuurrrr for affection and lightly touched their noses if they started meowing real obnoxiously. Later I regret teaching him even not to meow annoyingly those first couple of years, so for the last years I have been praising every meow. How quickly you respond to your cats every squeak will probably do more to encourage her meowing, that and her learning from other cats. You should hear my silent cat scream his head off in every meow range possible on the way to the vet. :rolleyes:

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
7 months ago I took a 3 yrs old cat in. She has only just started to meow when it's time for food. Occasionally purrs but that's it. It would really help if she was more vocal. She does not defend herself at all when my cats hiss and growl at her. Her mom was very quiet except when training her kittens

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

destinyz12

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
update, 7 months later- He still pretty vocally mute 98% of the time, with the occasional faint sounding meow when he's really hungry. Sometimes though he will make motions with his mouth like hes trying to meow but no sound comes out, so I still wonder if hes having some kind of issue with his vocal chords, and his actual meows are pretty quiet sounding.

javannalynn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You could take him to a vet and have him checked. I have very vocal cats but one still often silently meows or just makes a squeak noise but when he really wants something he meows and lets us know. Do you talk to him? I find them more willing to talk back to me if I start talking to them.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maggie was feral for the first 6 months of her life, and she is very quiet, she doesn't meow much at all, more like a little squeak.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
update, 7 months later- ... Sometimes though he will make motions with his mouth like hes trying to meow but no sound comes out, so I still wonder if hes having some kind of issue with his vocal chords, and his actual meows are pretty quiet sounding.
I think if you are concerned or worried about it, it cannot hurt to bring him in to the vet for a check-up.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

destinyz12

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
javannalynn javannalynn Yes, me and my mom both talk to the 2 of them a lot, and one cat is super vocal, and the other is the complete opposite. I wonder if part of the reason is because the quiet one just prefers to lets the other 'speak' for the 2 of them. The thing that is slightly concerning is he looks like he is motioning to meow with his mouth and nothing will come out sometimes, and when he does, its very faint sounding

javannalynn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He may just not be very vocal some cats aren't its all in their personality. if you are really considered take him to a vet make sure its not a vocal cord or throat issue.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats vocal when it's time to eat and she's a ventriloquist. After eating a yummy meal she licks her lips real fast and meows at the same time with her mouth closed