Cat Terrified Of Dogs

SDerailed

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So, two weeks ago I rescued this 3-4 month old feral kitten from a dog attack. Originally I was planning on just keeping him until I found a private shelter for him. However, everyone here is denying rescues and begging for fosters, (Its been a bad year for cat rescuers here).
So, it looks like he is going to be a foster fail. He is still in quarantine as he had all the worms. After a bath and disinfection of the room, I cracked the door for him to see our very old senior dog, and allow the dog to put his face in. My dog didnt do anything but look in the room, and the kitten was overcome with fear and collapsed. (My dog greatly respects cats, and really has no urge to go say hi to them)
I know he hasn't had the best experience with dogs, but I'd really like to see him get to a point where he can be in the same room as Tucker without freaking out. Sometimes I'll crack the door if Tucker is by it (a very small amount) and let the kitten walk up to the door to explore, and he seems ok with that. Is there any good tips or tricks to help? I'm hoping that is I can get the kitten ok with being in the same room the kitten will see the other cats snuggling with Tucker. And he may calm down

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
First, thank you for rescuing and keeping this kitten. Because if his experience with dogs, it may require a but kittens are fortunately very adaptable and odds are especially overcome his fears. The other cats are a whole other set of introductions to be done. You might want to try to rig a cat barrier between the kitten’s room and the rest of your place so the kitten can start seeing the dog and the other cats while having the safety of its own room. I know some have used stacked baby gates for this purpose. I would wait until the kitten isn’t terrified and all the cats have been around to sniff the area and you have exchanged some items with each other’s scents before doing any closer meetings. Then you can close up the dog and other cats and give the kitten a chance to get out to explore. There are tons of threads about intros here that you will want to read about steps after that.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would accept it as a possibility that he may need to find a dog free home.

Accepting that, I would not let him see your dog again for at least a month! During that time I would petting him with a sock (washed in unscented detergent) then petting the dog. Every where ever you go, that sock goes with you petting the kitten or dog. You are trying to merge their smells. We identify first by sight, cats identify first fbbby smell. So by all means let your kitten explore when the dog (Tucker) is locked up in a room or outside. The kitten should only be in his room for half of each day max. You can try putting a towel over each of their bef’s And switching it once a week (after he is no longer quarantined.)

Feliway and other calming products couldn’t hurt. If it is severe enough a mild sedative to use for a week or two might be needed.

Is it possible to foster a kitten(s) or adult fixed cat that was raised around dogs? Nothing calms a cat down more then their best friend looking at them like they are crazy (& looking like they are saying “bro what are you freaking out about?!? Everything is fine! This dog here? I’m training him to serve me. He makes a cushy bed, want to try it?”)

Playing with your dog/tiring him out before being around the kitten. Training your dog to never enter the cat’s room ;so your cat can eat/pee in peace) & to stay/place in their bed should help your poor baby cat! For dog/cat issues I recommend that people watch the 3-4 episodes animal planet made of the series ‘cat versus dog.’

:goodluck:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SDerailed

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
First, thank you for rescuing and keeping this kitten. Because if his experience with dogs, it may require a but kittens are fortunately very adaptable and odds are especially overcome his fears. The other cats are a whole other set of introductions to be done. You might want to try to rig a cat barrier between the kitten’s room and the rest of your place so the kitten can start seeing the dog and the other cats while having the safety of its own room. I know some have used stacked baby gates for this purpose. I would wait until the kitten isn’t terrified and all the cats have been around to sniff the area and you have exchanged some items with each other’s scents before doing any closer meetings. Then you can close up the dog and other cats and give the kitten a chance to get out to explore. There are tons of threads about intros here that you will want to read about steps after that.
Well, right now he is still very quarantined for 3 more weeks. And anything he has touched needs disinfected. So I dont think we are at that point yet. I have 3 baby grates for just this purpose, for when the time is right.

But have never dealt with a cat having this reaction to a dog. My littlest guy was scared at first, but not at this level. I think there may have to be some step between no dog, and baby grate divider.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SDerailed

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok, so here's how it went. Tormund kept trying to escape from his room because he wants to find the other cats and meet them :/ So after much apprehension about it, I held him in my arms and did a general walk through of the house. Once he saw the other cats snuggled up with the dog, (he is an old dog, that's pretty much all he does) he suddenly lost all fear. At one point Tucker looked at him and maintained eye contact, and absolutely no response from the kitten. Idk, I suspect one of the cats must have told them that Tucker was a good safe dog through the door or something.