Cat Tears out Her Fur

raina21

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
One of my cats often over-grooms herself and while she grooms, she rips out clumps of her fur. I find little clumps of black fur everywhere around the house. She has no bald spots that I can see. But her coat is uneven where you can see she's ripped her fur.

She has been to the vet and she has no allergies or fleas (since we treat monthly for them) and the vet can't seem to explain why she does it. This isn't a new behavior. She has done this ever since she was the only cat in the house. So I don't think the introduction of 2 more cats had anything to do with the behavior.

I am worried about he sheer amount of hairballs this behavior has caused. I find hairballs around the house a lot and have witnessed her coughing up at least 3 in the past few months.

She is medium haired and she hardly sheds at all so I don't think its stuck shed that she's pulling out.

fornana

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It sounds like a compulsive behavior.

Compulsive or repetitive behaviors arise as a consequence of a disease or when an animal is not able to adapt to the environment. Sometimes these behaviors serve as a coping mechanism in the event of a stressful situation.

The vet needs to do a physical and neurological examination, followed by a complete blood cell count, biochemistry profile, and urinalysis.

The most common compulsive disorders in cats are the condition known as feline hyperesthesia syndrome (FHS), psychogenic alopecia and pica (Amat, Camps, & Manteca, 2016). 

FHS is usually accompanied by other s/s --- intense grooming, scratching, running, salivation, vocalization, and uncontrolled urination. FHS is more common in mature cats

Alopecia and pica are more common in Siamese and Abyssinian cats. The alopecic areas are located in the caudal part of the body, mainly on the ventral abdomen. Sometimes this behavior is related to FIC, as the affected animals lick their abdomen in order to alleviate pain. 

What areas of her fur does she lick the most?

Do you notice any other s/s? 

It could also be some sort of allergy either to her environment, food, flea repellent, or inhalant. 

Do you see any lesions, or raised areas on her skin?

FYI, food allergies often develop from years of eating the same food. 

These articles may be helpful: 

http://www.petmd.com/cat/conditions/skin/c_ct_eosinophilic_granuloma_complex#

http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/pe...icle/animal-health/allergy-general-in-cats/49

Your vet should do a skin biopsy, or at least look at some scrapings under a microscope. 

I hope your darling feels better. I know how stressful and worrisome it is to not know what is wrong with your sweetie.

xoxoxo, God Bless

References:

Amat, M., Camps, T., & Manteca, X. (2016). Stress in owned cats: Behavioural changes and welfare implications.  Journal of Feline Medicine and Surgery, 18(8), 577-586. doi:10.1177/1098612X1559086

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

raina21

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
fornana fornana

Thanks for replying. I do not notice any other symptoms or compulsive behaviors other than ripping out her fur/over grooming. Ither than those 2 things she acts completely normal and comfortable. She loves being around our other 2 cats and often cuddles with one of them and they both groom each other.

And she doesn't have a specific area that she tears out more. Its pretty much anywhere she can reach with her mouth. But as I said. She has never pulled it out to the point where she had a bald spot or anything. There are no lesions or raised areas.

She had Feline Distemper as a young kitten (10 weeks) and was VERY near death (within hours) but she was treated just in time. She spent nearly 2 months at my vet's house getting around the clock care. But she was completely isolated from other cats and humans other than being fed or being given medication.

She has had this behavior ever since she was a kitten (after she finished treatment for the distemper). She has been checked for allergies and she's already had skin scrapings done. Everything has come back clear so the vet is stumped.

I don't know if this behavior could have been caused by the stress of having distemper so young and then being left in isolation for so long while getting treatment?

By the way, here is a picture of the kitty in question

Its very hard to see how uneven her coat is because her coat is practically jet black. But I assure you. Its not as sleek as it looks.

fornana

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Aw she is beautiful! I wonder why she's doing this....

Ideally, the treatment of psychogenic alopecia would involve the elimination of the stressors in the cat’s environment. But it sounds like she does get along with everyone, and she's in a familiar environment. The stressor is unknown. I guess it's possible these behaviors were a result of her near death experience as a youngster, but generally young cats are resilient. 

Sometimes though the stress is from a "barren" enviorment. Maybe she needs some new toys or some structured play time. 

Combing her might be a good idea. That may help her with her obsessive grooming, and you two can bond more. 

Unfortunately, and this is often impossible or impractical, an anti-anxiety or anti-depressant medications are often warranted to control the problem. They do come with side effects, and I don't have experience giving them to my cats. 

Does she scratch at all? It could be she just has an itchy coat, but I feel like you would see erythema (redness), or dried skin. 

I would try a benign (not something like steroids) anti-itch product first before going with psych medications. I don't have experience with anti-itch products, but this looks pretty good: 
Hopefully others reply whom have had direct experience with this problem. 

I hope whatever the problem is comes to light. I'll keep my eye out for any research information that may help you. Keep us updated, and I'll keep her in my prayers!  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

raina21

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Aw she is beautiful! I wonder why she's doing this....

Ideally, the treatment of psychogenic alopecia would involve the elimination of the stressors in the cat’s environment. But it sounds like she does get along with everyone, and she's in a familiar environment. The stressor is unknown. I guess it's possible these behaviors were a result of her near death experience as a youngster, but generally young cats are resilient. 
Sometimes though the stress is from a "barren" enviorment. Maybe she needs some new toys or some structured play time. 

Combing her might be a good idea. That may help her with her obsessive grooming, and you two can bond more. 

Unfortunately, and this is often impossible or impractical, an anti-anxiety or anti-depressant medications are often warranted to control the problem. They do come with side effects, and I don't have experience giving them to my cats. 

Does she scratch at all? It could be she just has an itchy coat, but I feel like you would see erythema (redness), or dried skin. 
I would try a benign (not something like steroids) anti-itch product first before going with psych medications. I don't have experience with anti-itch products, but this looks pretty good: https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Pet-Pharmaceuticals-King-Bio/dp/B00DUQV71M/ref=pd_sim_199_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=8AH23F86S953SH4W998E

Hopefully others reply whom have had direct experience with this problem. 
I hope whatever the problem is comes to light. I'll keep my eye out for any research information that may help you. Keep us updated, and I'll keep her in my prayers!  

She scratches but no more than a normal cat would.

I just don't know why she is doing it. But I don't see the behavior stopping anytime soon. I'm also wondering if there are any good products/food that help eliminate hairballs, because my biggest fear is that she'll develop a blockage because of a hairball that won't pass...

fornana

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Here's an article about hairballs: http://www.thecatsite.com/a/how-to-treat-and-prevent-hairballs-in-cats

Make sure she's taking enough fluids. Keep her water bowel filled, and give her more wet food as opposed to dry food. There is special food out there for cats @ risk for hairballs. 

As for remedies there are tons of products for hairballs.

Cat treats: 
Dry food: 
Gels: 
When you are cleaning out her litter box check her stools for excess hair. 

I hope and pray she feels better!