Cat talking to herself?

cattypolly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all. It's me again. Now I adopted an older cat, who is still getting used to being cooped up in an indoors situation with a dog and a boisterous kitten. She used to be a breeding queen for the past 6 years and won awards for the first 2 years of her life (she was deemed too flighty for subsequent shows).

I just want the old girl to have a good retirement home. After 4 weeks, she has pretty much settled - or at least, I think.

She meows a lot when she is walking around the house. It is a relaxed walk, not a 'where the heck am I, where's the exit route' walk. Then I look at her and move an inch - she runs.

Erm, what is she saying? At first I thought it was the litter box placement, or the bed needing moving next to a fan heater / sun spot, or the food bowl not filled enough... but um, tried changing stuff around and she still meows.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She could be calling for the other kitties that she grew up with. When my kitty walks around doing that, I talk to her in a calm, soft voice and reassure her. Of course, she's usually screaming, "Meowmy, where are you? Why haven't you fed me yet!!!"

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat is a talker, I don't discourage or encourage it, I just talk back to her. She will generally let me know if she has a specific need to be met (Hey mom, I can see the bottom of my dish even though there is food in there and you know that is NOT acceptable!) she just seems to like to announce her presence sometimes. Perhaps being a former show cat yours is just looking for the applause of the crowd at her greatness?

mn086

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One of my cats talks a lot! I can now tell what "I need to pee" sounds like, also "feed me", "i can see the dry food but where is the meat" and if she is passing by me while in the garden, I'll say "hi Maggie" and she'll do a very short mew which I think means "hi you too". If she is really hungry, she does a very long pathetic sounding miaow and we are just waiting for the day she does this while putting a paw on her forehead for effect (like Mrs Bennett in Pride and Prejudice!)

PS she also snores!!!!

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fiona and ReeRee do this. I think it is so funny. They have conversations with themselves.
Sometimes I can tell when they are meowing for a reason, but most of time it's just to hear themselves.

happilyretired

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My boy talks a lot--mostly a whine to get his way:-) But he also has a peculiar kind of yowling sound that he makes when he's about to dash through the house or otherwise absorbed in solitary play. This could be why you cat dashes away when you approach--she thinks you'll play chase?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cattypolly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's kind of funny. She will walk around the house engaged in a very animated monologue, "meow meow meow MEOW? Meow rraoooooooorrr MeoW? Mew meow meoW?" complete with head tilts and expressions and if I'm in the room I get up and walk to her and she turns all big eyed and shocked as if to say "Oh my heavens, I thought I was alone!" and dashes away.

This morning she woke me up with "Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeow, meeeeeeeeeeeeeow" so I thought the food bowl needed refilling, or the toilet was getting smelly or something but it was freakin 530am and it was my late day so I couldn't be bothered getting up yet... then I heard dashing - she was chasing a paper bag around the house....

Weird.

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cattypolly

It's kind of funny. She will walk around the house engaged in a very animated monologue, "meow meow meow MEOW? Meow rraoooooooorrr MeoW? Mew meow meoW?" complete with head tilts and expressions and if I'm in the room I get up and walk to her and she turns all big eyed and shocked as if to say "Oh my heavens, I thought I was alone!" and dashes away.

This morning she woke me up with "Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeow, meeeeeeeeeeeeeow" so I thought the food bowl needed refilling, or the toilet was getting smelly or something but it was freakin 530am and it was my late day so I couldn't be bothered getting up yet... then I heard dashing - she was chasing a paper bag around the house....

Weird.
3-5 AM is playtime at our home!

Nova chatters at me all the time. She has sounds for playing, using the box, wanting to eat, warning us that she's underfoot, greeting us, objecting to medicine, hurrying us when it's feeding time, being sick, and she even has a very special growl for her vet.

Our boy Zoom meows when he wants to play and nobody is paying attention to him, or when his brother is out of sight for too long.

Our other boy Loki very rarely meows. I've heard him when he's separated from his brother, or when he wants pets and I leave the room.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cattypolly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hmm, she has only been with me for a while so I have yet to be trained to understand her commands (hehehehe, what can I say, I'm a slow learner).

She does like watching the dog though. It's very cute. She greets her hello in the morning (that one I know, it's 'Meo!') and cuddles with her under the table.

She's the only cat I've seen that the dog happily shares her food with. The others she growls at.

zane's pal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just before sunset and just before sunrise, Zane will start yowling. It sounds like he's in agony, but there's nothing wrong with him.

bitsy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Tootsie has long conversations with himself all day long. I can tell when something is directed to me or one of the other animals, but mostly he talks just to hear himself, I think. It's really quite amazing and entertaining. Every sound you can imagine is in his vocabulary (and rarely a meow).