Cat Tails (Positions)

juliekit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What do the different positions of a cats tail mean?

When Ceci wants to be petted she will walk up to me with her tail up halfway, and the other half curled by her behind (did that make sense?) Sort of like a backwards question mark.

Then sometimes she will have her tail curled over her back. These all seem like doggish things, probably because I dont know a ton about cats.

I do know when the tail is wagging back and forth it spells annoyance, but thats about it.

Any Help?

Thanks,
Julitza & Ceci

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also think it has a lot to do with your individual cat. When Phenom isn't in the mod to play she twitches the end of her tail a lot (although this to Phantom, who doesn't have a tail, sees this as a signal to play)

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a couple cats that wag their tail when they're happy, just like a dog

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by JulieKit

What do the different positions of a cats tail mean?

When Ceci wants to be petted she will walk up to me with her tail up halfway, and the other half curled by her behind (did that make sense?) Sort of like a backwards question mark.

Then sometimes she will have her tail curled over her back. These all seem like doggish things, probably because I dont know a ton about cats.

I do know when the tail is wagging back and forth it spells annoyance, but thats about it.

Any Help?

Thanks,
Julitza & Ceci
Here are the official definitions taken from Kittens for Dummies: High like a flagpole means confident and content, wiggles at base is a friendly greeting, curled under his body feels threatened, fluffs to doulbe normal size means terrified, flicking of tail means disappointment, wagging unlike a dog means he is being bothered, slowly twitching while crouched means curious or excited.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
And just the tip of the tail flicking while they're laying down means "I can hear you talking about me so don't say anything bad!"

Stephanie

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Abby will gently wag her tail when she's happy, and when she's laying next to me 1/2 asleep and purring with me scratching her head. However, when she starts to wag it a bit more intensely I know that is the signal to stop because a light non skin breaking bite will follow not long after, hehe

thecrazycatgirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat when I pet him while he is laying down. He starts to first slowly twich his tail. Then as I keep on petting it gets more thrashy. Why?? Am I doing something wrong? Does he not want me to pet him? Or does he like it? I don't know!!!!!

Help me!!
Tccg (The crazy cat girl)

magdalena

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat when I pet him while he is laying down. He starts to first slowly twich his tail. Then as I keep on petting it gets more thrashy. Why?? Am I doing something wrong? Does he not want me to pet him? Or does he like it? I don't know!!!!!

Help me!!
Cats get overstimulated, some more easily than others.  When he starts to slowly twitch his tail, he's telling you that, while he appreciates the affection, he's had about enough.  One of my boys never tires of being petted - anytime, anywhere, another likes a good head scratch when he's in the mood and my youngest gets overstimulated almost immediately - he prefers to be talked to and played with.

You might also think about what he likes in terms of petting.  Some cats like full body strokes or scratches right above the tail, but others can't stand it and will bite you if you try it.  Almost all kitties like to be rubbed on the neck, cheeks, under the chin and top of the head, but you need to "ask permission" to pet them further down the body.  Some weird cats even like belly rubs, but that is unusual.  Also try to learn how hard to pet your boy.  Mine are all different.  Pay attention to his body language!

thecrazycatgirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you he does not really like his back being rubbed but I did not know that they might not like it. He does like his head, neck, and chin rubbed. But that is only when he Is laying down. When he is walking around and standing I can touch his back all I want. What does it mean if his head is rubbing my knee while he is passing me? Is it good or bad that he does this? Sorry he is my newest member of the family I got him a few days ago and he has adjusted nicely for two days living with me. Maybe it is just him acting this way because it is new surroundings?
Ok thanks!!

magdalena

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you he does not really like his back being rubbed but I did not know that they might not like it. He does like his head, neck, and chin rubbed. But that is only when he Is laying down. When he is walking around and standing I can touch his back all I want. What does it mean if his head is rubbing my knee while he is passing me? Is it good or bad that he does this? Sorry he is my newest member of the family I got him a few days ago and he has adjusted nicely for two days living with me. Maybe it is just him acting this way because it is new surroundings?
Ok thanks!!
Oh, lucky you!  When a cat rubs you with his head or body as he passes, he is showing his ownership of you.  Basically, he's saying that you're his!  (By the way, you are his - it's not the other way around. ;) )

Cats have scent glands on their cheeks and under their chins.  They rub their cheeks, chins and bodies on their territory to show what belongs to them.  If a cat loves you, that territory very definitely includes you!  It's all about smell with cats.  They need their scent on everything that belongs to them in order to feel comfortable.  So when he passes by you and bumps you with his head or rubs his body against you, he's just saying, "Mine!".

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cats get overstimulated, some more easily than others.  When he starts to slowly twitch his tail, he's telling you that, while he appreciates the affection, he's had about enough.  One of my boys never tires of being petted - anytime, anywhere, another likes a good head scratch when he's in the mood and my youngest gets overstimulated almost immediately - he prefers to be talked to and played with.

You might also think about what he likes in terms of petting.  Some cats like full body strokes or scratches right above the tail, but others can't stand it and will bite you if you try it.  Almost all kitties like to be rubbed on the neck, cheeks, under the chin and top of the head, but you need to "ask permission" to pet them further down the body.  Some weird cats even like belly rubs, but that is unusual.  Also try to learn how hard to pet your boy.  Mine are all different.  Pay attention to his body language!
Very good advice. It covers most of the body language aspects. Take a look at this.  www.messybeast.com/cat_talk2.htm

All of my ladies like belly rubs. All I have to do is talk to Spice and she flops down and rolls onto her back for a good belly rub.

Another good thing to watch is the position of the ears. if they start to go back and flatten out, he is getting overstimulated.