Cat swollen lower lip

Lakshan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I noticed my cat had a swollen lower lip yesterday. I took her to the vet today and he just said it was allergies and gave her a shot and told a lot of stuffs could do this. I would love to hear your experiences. Her wet food bowl is stainless steel and dry food bowl is a slow feeder from EveryYay brand, It feels like BPA free plastic but she has been eating from it for the last couple of months. Her diet has been Hills I/d care and Indoor health mix. I am not sure if it's the food. She has always had water eyes since she got Upper Respiratory Infection when she was a kitten.
tempImageGJ0Ov1.png
tempImageGJ0Ov1.png tempImageDPyVnn.png tempImagertiHTX.png

Dordee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Harleys was not related to food or bowls, but a wasp stung him. He chases them if they get in the house. Vet gave him 1/4 Benedryl tablet, he weighs 12 lbs. zhope this helps. I personally would stop feeding dry foods. My 3 are on canned,non GMO and home made food.

Ruggles

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a cat that had a lip granuloma 3 different times. When I googled it, it said it's caused almost always by a food allergy. I changed her food and it would go away. With the 3rd one appearing, I took her to the vet and she's now on a hypoallergenic diet. Check what the injection was your vet gave your cat. It was probably a cortisone shot. That only worked the first time on my cat; after that it did nothing to alleviate the granuloma. It would go away when I changed food. Try that maybe and if it does work, then consider putting her on a hypoallergenic diet so she doesn't develop an allergy to the new food down the road.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lakshan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Harleys was not related to food or bowls, but a wasp stung him. He chases them if they get in the house. Vet gave him 1/4 Benedryl tablet, he weighs 12 lbs. zhope this helps. I personally would stop feeding dry foods. My 3 are on canned,non GMO and home made food.
Well my cats had a clostridium perfringens infection. the past few months and they were on the prescription food. I changed my younger cats diet into a normal hills science diet dry and wet food, but my older cat from the pictures has some softer stools when I try to transition her to another dry food. My cats are a fan of dry food and miss kibbles if I don't include them, so they get it only for lunch and as a snack before bed. I am looking to transition them to Koha or RAWZ wet food, but it comes down to trials and errors on what they might like given they have a pickiness for flavors. What brand of canned food do you give your cats?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lakshan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a cat that had a lip granuloma 3 different times. When I googled it, it said it's caused almost always by a food allergy. I changed her food and it would go away. With the 3rd one appearing, I took her to the vet and she's now on a hypoallergenic diet. Check what the injection was your vet gave your cat. It was probably a cortisone shot. That only worked the first time on my cat; after that it did nothing to alleviate the granuloma. It would go away when I changed food. Try that maybe and if it does work, then consider putting her on a hypoallergenic diet so she doesn't develop an allergy to the new food down the road.
My cats tolerate grains, but I do not understand why is their dry food filled with so much gluten if fiber is their intention. I give them psyllium husk as a fiber supplement. The doctor gave her a depomedrol glucocorticoid shot. I know it stays in their system for very long. This is her first flare up, I thought she had a bug bite. But looks like it was the plastic bowl that I forgot to swap/clean as I was not feeling well myself. I hope your cats doing fine now. I will now know where to look at in case she gets it back or her diet needs to be looked at.