Cat suffering from anemia

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have the knowledge or experience that LDG has but what jumped out at me reading this thread is that he goes outside. He could be eating anything out there. This time of year lilies and daffodils for instance are growing. Some cats just cant resist those long chewy leaves. Both are highly toxic to cats.

My only suggestion on top of everything else, is to keep him inside.

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't have the knowledge or experience that LDG has but what jumped out at me reading this thread is that he goes outside. He could be eating anything out there. This time of year lilies and daffodils for instance are growing. Some cats just cant resist those long chewy leaves. Both are highly toxic to cats.

My only suggestion on top of everything else, is to keep him inside.
:yeah: Good call, otto. I missed that he's kept inside only during winter.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

flagstick1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, it's been about 6 weeks and I thought that we had turned a corner, he was doing well, some days better than others but definitely active, he would be at the front door to go out every morning including this morning.  However, the last couple of days, he hasn't been himself other than wanting out, so off we went to the clinic this evening.  He was really weak.  They took another blood test and his HT count was down to 6.5%, dehydrated and the vet on duty thought there was something wrong with his kidneys (either lymphoma or granuals ?).  We brought him home and are going to do an ultrasound and a blood transfusion, but would like to have any other suggestions.  He has been eating and drinking like normal.  All your prayers will be appreciated also.  Thanks again for all your help.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So you are still letting him out? I still think he is eating something out there that is causing this. Keep him inside.

flagstick1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, sad news this morning, my little Flagstick succumbed to his illness and left us at approximately 5:15 a.m.  We're still not quite sure what happened because up until Monday he was still a playful little guy.  I never could believe that he was anemic with the energy he seemed to have

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh no, I'm so so sorry! :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

I've been having internet issues, so didn't post last night, but I saw the news about the drop in his hematocrit. There is another TCS member whose cat is anemic and has uveitis, and something is tickling the back of my brain - I think there may be a third kitty with similar symptoms. So I was doing some research from my phone, and I hate to say it, but everything kept pointing to the dry form of FIP. :( :heart2: There's no way to know other than via necropsy if that was the cause, but the symptoms and lack of response to treatment fit.

:rbheart: Fly free, little Flagstick. :rbheart:

:hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

flagstick1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for all your information and help during the last 3 months, it has been a rough period, but at least I know that he is not suffering any more and that I did all I could for him.  After reading all of his symptoms, I agree that I think it was FIP as well, and there would have been nothing more I could have done for him.  I'm seeing that you have a lot of experience with cats and kittens and I do have another question.  I have a 10 year old who has never been alone in the house before, we have always had at least 1 more cat with him, and our most recent addition, became his constant companion (part of me wonders if Bunker my 10 year old, knew that there was something wrong with Flagstick, the way he looked after him, groomed him, slept with him to the point that you didn't say there is Bunker and there is Flagstick, it was there are BunkerFlagstick).  I'm sure that Bunker will miss his companion (since Flagstick died at home, I tried to let Bunker come close so he might realize what had happened) but I'm a little worried about Bunker being lonely.  Is there any time frame for introducing Bunker to a new kitten (it will definitey need to be in the next couple of months because I don't want to leave him alone while we are away).  I've been told that cats feel more than we give them credit for, so I want to do the best for him.  

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:hugs: I would explain to Bunker what has happened, though Bunker probably does know. I'd ask Bunker - maybe even daily - to let you know when he's ready for a new kitty companion. I don't know how you'd normally go about adopting a cat, but I'd trust that Flagstick will send the right kitty to you at the right time. I don't know if it will be "something about" a kitty on Petfinder, or at a shelter, or a kitty that needs to be rescued on your way to or from work... but I'm pretty sure a kitty will cross your path, and you'll know you need to bring that cat home. :heart2:

But Bunker may need or want some time to grieve. :rub: :hugs: :heart2: There's no right or wrong here, there are no set timelines. Everyone, every cat, has their own pace - and for all we know, Flagstick will send you another kitty tomorrow. You pretty much just have to trust your instincts. You know Bunker better than anyone. :heart3:

I'm so sorry again, sweetie. Flagstick was a very lucky kitty to have you and Bunker. He was much loved - and died peacefully at home. Much too young, but you can take comfort in knowing you did all you could, and he was happy right up to the end. :rbheart:

:hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: