Cat Suddenly Wants To Cuddle 24/7

M00nshad0w

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've had my cat Ophelia for just over 5 years now. Until late last year, she was never affectionate. Actually, quite the opposite. She was very skittish, and would not hesitate to growl/hiss at anyone if she wasn't satisfied with them. A few months ago, she suddenly became very affectionate, and wants to cuddle every time I sit down somewhere. She has even started to cuddle with people that she's never shown interest in! Although she is still scared of strangers, her behaviour towards her family has taken a complete 180.​

It may be worthy to not that she gained a little brother about 9 months before this change who loves to attack her, and I have recently been in poor health.

She has had feline herpes since birth (contracted from her mother) so I haven't noticed any new symptoms because I'm used to her being a little under the weather.

She is currently made very comfortable on my stomach, for about the 5th or 6th time today.

Attachments

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a cat like that. Until she was a year old, she was a monster. I couldn't pet her or walk by her without blood being drawn. Then one day, she jumped on my lap and I haven't been able to sit down without her since.
Just be happy and take pleasure in the fact that she has decided she likes you.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She may have learned from the other cat that people are good for warmth and cuddles. Cats learn a lot from each other on how to train their humans..... or she could be using you for protection.

Maybe give her 4-12 hours a day away from the other cat (him in another room or her in a room) and see how she does? I would try it for 4 hours every day, same time every day for a couple of weeks and see if she wants to cuddle me during that time. Also it will help keep her stress down.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

M00nshad0w

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She may have learned from the other cat that people are good for warmth and cuddles. Cats learn a lot from each other on how to train their humans..... or she could be using you for protection.

Maybe give her 4-12 hours a day away from the other cat (him in another room or her in a room) and see how she does? I would try it for 4 hours every day, same time every day for a couple of weeks and see if she wants to cuddle me during that time. Also it will help keep her stress down.
Thanks for the advice! I'll try it out and see how it helps

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

M00nshad0w

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a cat like that. Until she was a year old, she was a monster. I couldn't pet her or walk by her without blood being drawn. Then one day, she jumped on my lap and I haven't been able to sit down without her since.
Just be happy and take pleasure in the fact that she has decided she likes you.
Haha, definitely enjoying it while it lasts!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2:Ophelia is beautiful. :lovecat3:

As long as you do not think she has any illness other than the feline herpes, or that she is being bullied by the other cat, I would enjoy all the snuggling she wants to give you. :hearthrob:

Perhaps she's even picked up on the fact that you've been ill, and wants to comfort you. :catlove:

Here's a couple interesting articles:
The Power Of The Purr
The Power Of Petting

And one on The Multi-cat Household in case there's anything helpful in it.