Cat suddenly stops sleeping all night

amonicat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 9 year old cat Peter used to have free reign over my house but like most cats he shredded up the couches and it is not my house I live with my parents. In December they purchased new couches and told me they did not want Peter roaming the house alone at night while everyone slept so once we were ready for bed I started closing my bedroom door all the way since he always slept in my bed with me anyway. As soon as I wake up in the morning I let him out and he once again can go where ever he likes in the house since someone is always around watching him. He does a lot thought out the day he has many toys and I allow him to play outside with supervision so he always slept through the night.

Until a month or two ago, he began waking up early and meowing to be let out I was sleeping so I would ignore him and he would forget and go back to sleep with me. One day my dad was up early heard him so he opened my door to let him out while I slept unfortunately this changed the behavior and he began waking up every morning not just occasionally. My dad's schedule changed and stopped letting him out before I woke up and peter began trying to force me to wake by he licking and nibbling my hands/arms (not rough or hurting me at all) or hopping on my head until got up to open the door.

Sometimes (like right now) he wakes up at 4am and that is just so early I can't wake up and start the day with him. I get frustrated and just open my door to let him roam the house since I found he is not interested in touching these new couches but suddenly for the last week or so opening my room door is not enough he still wants to get me to wake up and start the day. He has even changed the regular meow to literally a sad desperate cry to be let out. Is there anyway to get him sleeping through the night again without him being bothered that my door is closed? He is not trapped forever and he is not alone he used to be ok with laying with me all night regardless of the door being closed. I'm desperate and very sleepy.

Last edited:

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Unfortunately Peter has learned that he can train you/your dad to get what he wants, which right now seems to be your attention. You can try to retrain him. I would start with a vigorous play session right before bed time to tire him out. Finish play with a meal/snack. Then bed. If he starts trying to wake you early, you must ignore him completely, no reaction at all. If you can do this consistently, he will stop because it's not working.

tulosai

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, I can only really second what vball91 says.  You must ignore him completely.  High quality earplugs will be a good investment during this time.

Since he has learned his behavior works, he will keep on with this for some time even if you start ignoring him.  The only answer is to keep ignoring him until he DOES get it- intermittent rewards are actually worse than rewards all the time in terms of encouraging behavior, so if you continue to react but only once in a rare while, you actually will not be making things better even though it seems you would be.

Good luck and keep us updated!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amonicat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well I pulled out all his favorite toys and even a little cat nip but he only played for about 10 minutes half of which was him just swatting at the toys no running. This is how he normally plays he is not super active but I did shut the door to my room while we played in the living room and did not let him go in there to go to take a nap early in the night. I only let him in once I was ready to get in bed so he could join me and fall asleep. I won't be investing in ear plugs since it is not only noise he makes he physically tries to wake me, it would be cute it it was not so early. I'm hoping he will at least sleep in until 7 am. Thanks for the advice any ideas how to get him to play longer or be more active in his play?