Cat Suddenly Stopped Eating?

Mike0

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 2 year old cat who is indoor/outdoor cat suddenly stopped eating. She ate yesterday like a monster, and was playful and nothing wrong with her , last time she ate was at 3 A.M. Since then she refused to eat everything(even tuna). So it has been 19 hours since she ate anything the last time. She only drank small amount of water. She has been sleeping since yesterday. What could have happened to my cat? only vet at my town has a vacation and wont come until Tuesday. What should I do? I read that fat starts to accumulate on the liver after 24 hours of not eating .. how accurate is that? What would happen if she refuses to eat until Tuesday (about 55 hours since the last time she ate?) I am really worried about her and would like to know what happened to her and what should I do from your experience

mikameek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Cats can stop eating for many reasons but the fat accumulating is accurate but we typically say after 48 hours. Fatty liver is nothing to mess around with and can get dangerous. The only way to fix it is for the cat to eat and get calories. I would keep offering food to your kitty, not let her outside till you can get her to the vet. What is her name by the way?

If it gets to the point that she doesn’t eat at all by the 48 hour mark I would then start syringe feeding. If you can get kitten replacement milk, that has calories and can be drank like water. It can also be mixed with soft pate food to make a slurry that you can syringe feed.

Raevyn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
May have decided doesn't like it's food anymore aswell. Mine do that once in a while they'll turn their noses up and refuse to eat if they don't like it anymore

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is she going outside still in this time of not eating? Could a neighbor be feeding her or is she hunting?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! If I may suggest, keep her indoors until you are able to find out what's going on.
Here are some enticement type foods that might help, either on her food or by themselves. Also try heating her canned food, or add water to it and make it more soupy...
  • chicken, turkey or ham flavored baby food such as Gerber Stage 2 - make sure there is no garlic or onions in the ingredients
  • Tuna and/or the juice, --a low mercury brand is called SafeCatch
  • Salmon, or small sized mackerel
  • Sardines (make sure there are no bones)
  • Boiled unseasoned chicken or turkey
  • canned kitten food any brand - it's usually smelly. See if it's eaten on its own, then maybe mix it in or put on top
  • Try mixing in Kitten Milk Replacer - there are recipes on the internet
  • Fish, tuna or BBQ flavored canned wet food (I personally have never seen BBQ flavors, but...)
  • Lickable cat treats or pouch treat gravy poured over the food
  • kitten glop (recipes are on the internet, look for some with goat milk)
  • Bonito flakes
  • fortiflora
  • goat milk, or no lactose cow milk
  • whole cooked eggs (the white must always be cooked) or raw egg yolk now and then
  • broth with no salt and no garlic or onion or seasonings of any kind
  • There are also commercial toppers, Applaws is a brand that can work well as a topper
    you could crumble treats onto the wet food, Purebites, Orijen, Meowtinis, Meowables

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mike0

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cats can stop eating for many reasons but the fat accumulating is accurate but we typically say after 48 hours. Fatty liver is nothing to mess around with and can get dangerous. The only way to fix it is for the cat to eat and get calories. I would keep offering food to your kitty, not let her outside till you can get her to the vet. What is her name by the way?

If it gets to the point that she doesn’t eat at all by the 48 hour mark I would then start syringe feeding. If you can get kitten replacement milk, that has calories and can be drank like water. It can also be mixed with soft pate food to make a slurry that you can syringe feed.
thanks for the advice. I will try my best to feed her because that fatty liver looks like something scary.

Her name is Besty. Do you have any idea what is the most likely cause? I am really worried.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There is no way to know what happened. As mentioned, Betsy could have gotten into another animals food, or something else she shouldn't have.

Are you sure your vet didn't set up something for patients/clients for emergencies while he's gone? Most veterinarians would try and arrange something.

If I were you, I would call that clinic and see if they, or the automated phone greeting, provides an emergency number to call.

Mike0

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is she going outside still in this time of not eating? Could a neighbor be feeding her or is she hunting?
She always shows up at 8 A.M.. Today she did not.
I waited for her for 2 hours then started looking for her . I couldn't find her. At 4 p.m I found her sleeping at the neighbor's garden. I called her but she just kept staring at me and did not respond. I tried for half an hour but she did not react to me. Neighbor told me that she was sleeping there for a while and nobody fed her.I had to carry the cat by myself and bring her to my home. I offered her food and she refused. She is sleeping now on the couch and not moving at all. She woke up once and drank water, I offered her tuna which she lovesssss and she did not even care and went back to sleep.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe she just isn't feeling well. Too bad the vet is out of town. Try not to let her out until you can get her to the vet. Just in case something is really wrong. Is there another vet she can see in the meantime?

Mike0

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There is no way to know what happened. As mentioned, Betsy could have gotten into another animals food, or something else she shouldn't have.

Are you sure your vet didn't set up something for patients/clients for emergencies while he's gone? Most veterinarians would try and arrange something.

If I were you, I would call that clinic and see if they, or the automated phone greeting, provides an emergency number to call.
They dont care that much in my country. Vet clinics are not advanced. When I took her to be spayed the vet performed the operation on his desk (I am serious).

Mike0

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Maybe she just isn't feeling well. Too bad the vet is out of town. Try not to let her out until you can get her to the vet. Just in case something is really wrong. Is there another vet she can see in the meantime?
I won't let her out. Unfortunately no thats the only vet.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
oh dear.
Well, try some of the things I mentioned in my list of different foods.
Hang in there, I'm sending you good thoughts, and try the clinic, just in case. Maybe the vet did get a temporary replacement...Good luck!!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They dont care that much in my country. Vet clinics are not advanced. When I took her to be spayed the vet performed the operation on his desk (I am serious).
Oh wow! I am sorry to hear that :( What country are you in?

Mike0

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh wow! I am sorry to hear that :( What country are you in?
Jordan, in a rural town far away from the capital city.

Mike0

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Today I was able to feed her 1 tablespoon of boiled chicken liver. Do you think that would be enough to delay the fatty liver thing a little bit?

She is now avoiding me whenever I come to her because she is tired of me trying to force feed her. I am unable to feed with her with a syringe either( she was a feral cat). The only vet in my town will comeback to clinic after 18 hours from now. That's 56 hours of not eating apart from the table spoon chicken liver. Yesterday I was told by a forum member that after 48 hours of not eating the cat will have fatty liver. I am really nervous and frightened from this. Is the 48 hour window really accurate ? will the table spoon of liver delay the onset of the fatty liver and any other organ damage?

Last edited by a moderator:

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think just keep trying to give her bits of food, and then if you are able, for sure go to the vet with her on Tuesday. Fatty liver disease, once a cat has gotten it, can take several weeks or more of making sure they can keep up with the eating and hydration, until they turn the corner and feel a lot better.

I think what is a bit worrisome is that when you found her finally in your neighbor's garden, the neighbor said she'd been there a while and maybe hadn't even been eating or no one fed her at that time either. She could really need a lot of nutrition and fluids help at the vet's office this week, in any case. I hope the vet will be able to help her out soon!
Why Has My Cat Stopped Eating And Is It Dangerous?
How To Get Your Cat To Start Eating Again
35 Signs That Your Cat May Be In Pain

Keep trying with Besty!

Last edited by a moderator:

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, actually it’s not certain the cat will get fatty litter if it doesn’t eat for 48 hours, but the chances are increased. I hope you get her to the vet by now. Please let us know what happens with Besty.

Mike0

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Gingivitis Vs Stomatitis?

Vet told me that she has gingivitis. Had one tooth extracted.
I asked if it is stomatitis, vet told me that it is gingivitis.
I am reading that they are basically the same and I need to extract all her teeth?
Can someone tell me if there is a difference and is extracting one teeth that was inflamed and dead enough? I don't trust the vet but he is the only one available.

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Gingivitis is inflammation of only the gums. Stomatitis is inflammation of the tissue inside the mouth.

Most of the time gingivitis is caused by poor dental hygiene, that's why cleaning or brushing the teeth helps. There is a type of gingivitis/stomatitis that's an immune reaction to dental plaque, but it's not common.

The bad tooth and the gingivitis are separate, not the same thing. I hope that your cat will start eating now that her sore tooth is gone.

Mike0

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Gingivitis is inflammation of only the gums. Stomatitis is inflammation of the tissue inside the mouth.

Most of the time gingivitis is caused by poor dental hygiene, that's why cleaning or brushing the teeth helps. There is a type of gingivitis/stomatitis that's an immune reaction to dental plaque, but it's not common.

The bad tooth and the gingivitis are separate, not the same thing. I hope that your cat will start eating now that her sore tooth is gone.
Can one sore tooth cause her to completely stop eating? I mean she can eat on the other side. And sleeping all day long with fever from one tooth? I am not convinced by what the vet says but I hope the cat gets better
Thank you for your reply.