Cat suddenly started peeing in front of the fire place.

pangurban

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
On Monday night one of my cats vomited in front of the fire place. I cleaned it up, rinsed the area with water, than saturated it with biokleen BAC OUT and mopped it back up again. This is and has been our standard cleaning procedure with any 'nasty' mess.

On Wend I noticed a pee spot right on top of where the vomit was. It was quite a lot of pee and took some time to soak up. After I got all I could up I poured a mixture of hot water, OxyClean, and BAC OUT on top then mopped it up. This is the very first time since we brought the cats home(one in Feb last year and the other in April of last year) that anyone has peed outside the box. We have two litter boxed side by side in our bathroom on the other side of the apartment and clean them everyday. We also change the litter out once a month.

I had spent a good part of the morning vacuuming the side of the house that the litter boxes are on that morning and was dearly hoping that perhaps they were just too scared to go back there during that time.

Well today (Sunday) it happened again , in the same spot, TWICE! Once in the morning and once in the evening. They weren't the huge spots we had before but it was unmistakably cat pee. I went out and bought some Nature's Miracle cleaner for cats Stain and Odor remover to use the first time it happened this morning and followed the directions but then it happened again just a few hours later.

I'm really heart broken and at a loss. I have no idea where this is coming from. We sprayed the area down again and let it sit over an hour before cleaning it up, then I put a couple of clean towels over the area. I am not sure who is doing it so I can take them to the vet for a check up. I guess i'll start with the older one and rule a sickness our for him first.

We are thinking we will buy a bottle of the Nature's Miracle that deters marking and just saturating the entire area, letting it soak several hours, then mopping it up. Should I buy another litter box and put it there? It would be an eyesore right there in the middle of the living room in front of the fireplace but I can not/will not stand for peeing on the carpet.

I am a very finicky person about things being clean and it is part of the reason i'm so frustrated. I know their litter boxes are kept nice for them and they haven't had any issues up until now. I know it isn't because I used BAC OUT because i've been using it since before the cats ever came to live with us and haven't had this reaction until now.

Any suggestions of thoughts/insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so, so much.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Rather than spend a lot on "cleaning", I suggest you have your cats visit the vet for a check up. Sounds like a health issue. 
 Probably UTI. 

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Was it two different cats?

Anyway,  peeing in a unusual place  MAY be an uri.  If you want to play it safe, visit your vet.  Or at least, try to take a sample of the urine, and send in for analysis.

In unlucky cases, such  infection can develop into a kidney failure...  And a pts.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pangurban

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your suggestions yayi and StefanZ. I took the 8-year-old cat to the vet this morning and he says he felt JC's bladder was thicker than normal. No blood in the urine, no decreased appetite, no high temp, normal drinking habits, etc.. Hopefully we caught it early and it will be easy to heal from. He has two pills he has to take twice a day. I can't read the package well because it is handwritten but it looks like one says Ammonil and one says Baytril?

Now I just have to get over my anxiety of hurting a cat every time i have to pill them. There was pee on the towels I had put down in the 'marking are' this morning. Just the smallest bit but it was there. I hope this fixes it. Poor kitty.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Poor guy. I hope the meds do the trick quickly and that's the end of it! Be sure to use the enzyme cleaner and repeat if necessary. His nose is better than ours and if he can smell it; it may attract him to that site again. Some cleaners actually make it more difficult for the enzyme cleaner to work; so be sure to start with that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pangurban

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Poor guy. I hope the meds do the trick quickly and that's the end of it! Be sure to use the enzyme cleaner and repeat if necessary. His nose is better than ours and if he can smell it; it may attract him to that site again. Some cleaners actually make it more difficult for the enzyme cleaner to work; so be sure to start with that.
Thank you, there was a big spot of pee on the clean towels again this morning. A good amount made it to the carpet too. I've been saturating the area with Nature's Miracle, letting it sit an hour, soaking it up and spraying some shout with Oxyclean over it to scrub with then letting it dry. I want to put a litter pan there so bad but DH keeps resisting. I'm tired of all the cleaning and anxiety about lingering pet smells. I may lift the carpet, cut out part of the pad and wash it on high temp with lots of Nature's Miracle then stick it back down.

Last edited:

streganonna

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I found a lengthy but very good process for lifting the urine odor (and poop odor) from my carpets because my geriatric girl tends to forget where her litter box is.

http://www.animalplanet.com/pets/10-tips-for-cleaning-cat-urine/

I have had to use this method twice already. It takes some time and I still use Natures Miracle afterwards, but she has not returned to those two areas, nor have my other 3 kitties expressed any curiosity about those areas.

best of luck