Cat suddenly sneezing a lot

Anne2021

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My three-year-old cat suddenly started sneezing a lot last night about this time. Prior to that, there was nothing like this at all. She sneezed so much overnight that she kept me up most of the night since she sleeps with me. She has no other symptoms of illness. I was concerned that she might have gotten something stuck up her nose so I got her into the vet early this afternoon. The vet looked up her nose and didn't see anything. She examined her and saw nothing that made her suspect some sort of infectious illness. She asked me about whether she gets stressed. She offered Cerenia nose drops. She said it was anti-nausea medication, but that it has the side effect of helping with sneezing so that's why she gave it. She also recommended Viralys supplement for immune system support. She is still sneezing this evening, but I haven't given either of the items yet. The vet is rather inexperienced and young - it's a larger office with five vets and I always seem to get offered her. I find myself wondering if something is still up there and the vet just didn't see it. Has anyone else given Cerenia nose drops for sneezing? Or has anyone else tried Viralys (it looks like an L-Lysine supplement for cats)?

NekoM

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It’s doubtful she has anything stuck. Cats can get allergies, however I personally take sneezing seriously because it could be a sign of an upper respiratory infection which always needs antibiotics. I’ve used Viralys a while back for about 6 months with zero results. Vets recommend it as a preventative which is great aftercare, and definitely worth trying. Theres bit of debate going on right now about how affective lysine is for respiratory issues, it doesn’t do any harm though and a lot of people claim it works. It’s cheaper on Amazon btw, the tube looks slightly different but it’s the same product from the same manufacturer.
If you go back to the vet tell them you need a second opinion.

Threecatsandme

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would ask for a respiratory PCR test.

I brought our kitten in for some mild coughing/sneezing and vet said it was likely feline herpes and recommended lysine. We use the Viralys powder mixed in with her food or churu. I’ve also wondered if the lysine is really doing anything for her and always suspected there was something else going on with her. Initially we were consistent in giving the lysine and ultimately stopped as she didn’t have any more symptoms (they did mention to give when she has a flare up).

She then started having more coughing/sneezing episodes so we brought her back to vet. They suspected it was still herpes and said to keep her on lysine and recommended a respiratory PCR test. Came back NEGATIVE for herpes and positive for calicivirus and mycoplasma. I wish I had just asked for the PCR the first time I brought her in. The test was $190 at our vets office and takes about 3-5 days to get results.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In large vet clinics the vets take different days off during the week. You might consider trying to find out when this vet's day off is, and it may change, so you can schedule appointments when she isn't there. Suggestion call as ask what her day off is and that of another vet there. Then a day or so later schedule the appointment. Alternatively, just ask to see a different vet. If they refuse, ask why? Keep asking why you can't see another vet. I think there is a tendency to give the newbies to people who don't request sprefic vets and to people who don't complain. There is no reason for your cat to be the one they practice on, without having a senior vet check their work.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Anne2021

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would ask for a respiratory PCR test.

I brought our kitten in for some mild coughing/sneezing and vet said it was likely feline herpes and recommended lysine. We use the Viralys powder mixed in with her food or churu. I’ve also wondered if the lysine is really doing anything for her and always suspected there was something else going on with her. Initially we were consistent in giving the lysine and ultimately stopped as she didn’t have any more symptoms (they did mention to give when she has a flare up).

She then started having more coughing/sneezing episodes so we brought her back to vet. They suspected it was still herpes and said to keep her on lysine and recommended a respiratory PCR test. Came back NEGATIVE for herpes and positive for calicivirus and mycoplasma. I wish I had just asked for the PCR the first time I brought her in. The test was $190 at our vets office and takes about 3-5 days to get results.
Thank you for your reply. I would be willing to pay for the test to get better answers about what is happening. What was done for her once you got the results of the PCR test? Was there a treatment for what she had? Is she well now?

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Definitely at a multiple vet office, it's best to request a vet you'd like. Often at those offices, if you've been seen by one vet, they keep that cat with that vet.

The plus side is, even if it's a younger or newer doctor, they benefit from having more experienced vets around to consult with for free. (Also they are learning the newest research in school and not outdated things so there's that!)

One vet at the clinic may be the go-to person for certain things. One doctor is the one that does surgeries for cats with heart issues at ours for example.

Anne2021

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
In large vet clinics the vets take different days off during the week. You might consider trying to find out when this vet's day off is, and it may change, so you can schedule appointments when she isn't there. Suggestion call as ask what her day off is and that of another vet there. Then a day or so later schedule the appointment. Alternatively, just ask to see a different vet. If they refuse, ask why? Keep asking why you can't see another vet. I think there is a tendency to give the newbies to people who don't request sprefic vets and to people who don't complain. There is no reason for your cat to be the one they practice on, without having a senior vet check their work.
Thank you for your reply. There is a vet there - the first one we saw there - that I really liked and trust. I have asked for her, but it seems impossible to get her anymore. Either she's not there the day I call (and it's a same-day appointment) or she's in surgery that day - and yesterday they said she's on maternity leave. I guess there's no way around that one.

I may try your idea. There is an other vet we've seen there who just doesn't have a great attitude and doesn't seem that interested in cats, but there is another I haven't met yet that has been there a long time who I would like to try.

Anne2021

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It’s doubtful she has anything stuck. Cats can get allergies, however I personally take sneezing seriously because it could be a sign of an upper respiratory infection which always needs antibiotics. I’ve used Viralys a while back for about 6 months with zero results. Vets recommend it as a preventative which is great aftercare, and definitely worth trying. Theres bit of debate going on right now about how affective lysine is for respiratory issues, it doesn’t do any harm though and a lot of people claim it works. It’s cheaper on Amazon btw, the tube looks slightly different but it’s the same product from the same manufacturer.
If you go back to the vet tell them you need a second opinion.
Thank you for your reply. If we have to go back, I definitely want someone else. I switched to this office because at our old office, there was one vet in three who was very good and thorough. When my cat a bad ear infection (wasn't sure yet, but she had symptoms), the vet I got that day made jokes and didn't even swab her ears. That was when I met the vet at this office that impressed me so much. She took it seriously and we got a proper diagnosis. It's almost impossible to see her now.

I did start looking up Viralys after the appointment yesterday, and I guess there was a study that did suggest it might not be good for them - something about it blocking the production of arginine - which was supposedly good because the virus needs arginine to replicate. - BUT - cats need arginine to rid their bodies of ammonia so it's bad to block the arginine. That's a rough summary. I don't know. It sounded like some vets were re-thinking whether they recommend it. That's why I wondered if anyone had a good experience or success with it.

I called another office that I would like to switch to that does only cats (and ferrets for whatever reason). I like that they specialize and they were willing to try to help with last spring with a behavioral issue with another cat (who needs to be re-homed after all due to her inability to live with other cats). They are so busy, they couldn't see her until next Tuesday - and that was for a drop-off appointment where I couldn't be there. The person on the phone recommended that I take her to my usual vet and that if nothing was stuck up her nose, she should get on antibiotics right away. Ugh. I will watch today and see if she is sneezing more, less, or the same and try to figure out what to do. I don't know how to go back to the same office, though, if I don't give the nose drops or the Viralys like she recommended, but I don't think they are in my girl's best interest.

Threecatsandme

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your reply. I would be willing to pay for the test to get better answers about what is happening. What was done for her once you got the results of the PCR test? Was there a treatment for what she had? Is she well now?
In our situation, the vet said we have to treat the mycoplasma with an antibiotic. We started doxycycline but had challenges with that med and just switched to a different one. It’s a 21 day course of antibiotic and we just started (only 6 days in). Luckily, she barely has any symptoms and the coughing/sneezing episodes have subsided for the most part.

For your cat, it would depend on what the results of the respiratory PCR (if she tests positive for anything and what the treatment would be). My understanding is that it’s usually treated with an antibiotic. Ours tested for 7 different infections within the one test (she tested positive for two).

It may not be an upper respiratory infection, but I would want the test to find out. They do a swab of the eye and mouth.

NekoM

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I did start looking up Viralys after the appointment yesterday, and I guess there was a study that did suggest it might not be good for them - something about it blocking the production of arginine - which was supposedly good because the virus needs arginine to replicate. - BUT - cats need arginine to rid their bodies of ammonia so it's bad to block the arginine. That's a rough summary. I don't know. It sounded like some vets were re-thinking whether they recommend it.
I’m happy you did some research, I try my best not to influence anyone’s decision or contradict a vets advice, but your right, lysine has been through 2 independent trials to test its effectiveness with respiratory issues and both time performed poorly, although there is no indication that it affects general health.(but it’s better to be safe than sorry) kidneys have no problem getting ammonia out it the system, the only time it becomes an issue is with feline kidney disease. Regular blood tests will catch that in advance though.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
L-lysine did absolutely nothing for my cats, but since I started them on DMG to build up their immune system, they haven't been sick since. You might want to research it, it is available on Amazon, Walmart, and any Pet site.

NekoM

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
DMG? Wow, I didn’t know there was a pet version, I’d definitely try that. I’ve been taking it myself for a few months, the problem is I bought DMG powder with nothing added to it, saying it tastes indescribably bad Is a massive understatement. I’m sure the cat version tastes better!

Anne2021

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’m happy you did some research, I try my best not to influence anyone’s decision or contradict a vets advice, but your right, lysine has been through 2 independent trials to test its effectiveness with respiratory issues and both time performed poorly, although there is no indication that it affects general health.(but it’s better to be safe than sorry) kidneys have no problem getting ammonia out it the system, the only time it becomes an issue is with feline kidney disease. Regular blood tests will catch that in advance though.
I think we may have read different research. From what I have been reading, even cats with healthy kidneys need arginine to remove the ammonia. I think at least for now, I will steer away from the Viralys (L-Lysine). I guess I'm not as concerned about at least questioning a vet's advice. They make mistakes just like medical doctors. I've gotten bad advice more than once from a vet and a medical doctor. It's something I appreciate about this site because people will sometimes speak up and suggest getting a second opinion if they think something doesn't sound quite right. Thank you for sharing your experience with Viralys. You're so right about the price, too. My vet's office wanted $64 for the same tube that was about $20 or $21 on Amazon!

Last edited:

Anne2021

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
In our situation, the vet said we have to treat the mycoplasma with an antibiotic. We started doxycycline but had challenges with that med and just switched to a different one. It’s a 21 day course of antibiotic and we just started (only 6 days in). Luckily, she barely has any symptoms and the coughing/sneezing episodes have subsided for the most part.

For your cat, it would depend on what the results of the respiratory PCR (if she tests positive for anything and what the treatment would be). My understanding is that it’s usually treated with an antibiotic. Ours tested for 7 different infections within the one test (she tested positive for two).

It may not be an upper respiratory infection, but I would want the test to find out. They do a swab of the eye and mouth.
Thank you for sharing more details. That's very helpful. I hope your cat continues to get better. My kitty sneezed a few small ones early this morning. I've been in the same room with her most of the day (work-from-home at my computer and she hangs out with me most of the time by choice). I haven't heard one since those first ones of the morning. I guess I'll just keep watching and listening. If she does start up again or shows other respiratory symptoms, I will definitely plant to ask for that test. Thanks again!

Anne2021

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
L-lysine did absolutely nothing for my cats, but since I started them on DMG to build up their immune system, they haven't been sick since. You might want to research it, it is available on Amazon, Walmart, and any Pet site.
Thank you for sharing your experience with L-Lysine and the recommendation for DMG. I will look into that.