Cat Suddenly Sick.....

carrie640

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Mandy LOVES to eat. She knows when it's time for treats in the morning...like clockwork. She will wake us up on weekends to get them. Needless to say, she is just short of 15 pounds! Last night she seemed to be herself. We had family over from out of town with three boys ranging from 10-13 in age. They were completely into our cats. Mandy is a tad skittish with people she doesn't know, but it's not extreme. She let them pet her but I don't think she was thrilled by it. She did eat her treats when the kids were here. Our trap and release adoptee wouldn't come out....she wanted nothing to do with any of it. Lucy...the queenie at 19yo wasn't bothered at all by any of it.

Enter this morning. No Mandy asking for treats. No Mandy when the treats were distributed. And THAT is NOT normal. We couldn't find her. I found a pile of soft-serve-type feces on the floor in my craft room. She had defecated in the past on the floor, but only maybe twice and it was never this soft. The feces smell like cow manure. We tore the house apart and could not find her. We thought maybe she slipped outside last night or maybe the door didn't completely latch. My son hopped on his bike and scouted the neighborhood. I also went out into the neighborhood on foot. No luck. This went on for two hours. I was in our bedroom when I heard my daughter yell, "MANDY!!". Mandy came out of nowhere...have NO idea where she was..somewhere in the house.

Mandy's eyes were goopy. She had a film over part of her eyes. When she blinked, it strung from her top eyelid to her bottom eyelid. She wanted nothing to do with food...nothing to do with treats. I cleaned her eyes and got her into the vet. The vet said she has pink eye, but could not say if she had upper respiratory...there weren't a ton of symptoms. She gave us eyedrops, cleaned her bottom (Mandy could not clean herself...she's a bit overweight and she would not let us do it, either...the vet was way more experienced with it. Got her home...let her out. She proceeded to go under the couch. She was completely exhausted and couldn't keep her eyes open. She had urinated all over the blanket in her carrier at some point while on the way to (or from) the vet.

A few hours later, we were going to try and get eyedrops in her eyes.....but, she then went to the water dish and drank for a few minutes (after we made her come out). She then forcefully vomited up all the water. After that, she proceeded to the sunroom and sat on the second to last step wanting to go outside. We went out with her (She is NEVER alone out side). She just wanted to lay in the sign, then the shade...then in the grass....she was out there for an hour and a half. She drank a small amount of water and she did not vomit.

It is now 10pm. My husband brought home some cat-type of broth and she engulfed it, but then went back under the couch. My husband got on the floor and raised the flap/skirting of the couch to see her. He talked to her (she loves to talk back) and then got her brush out (she loves that thing) and she rubbed her head on the bristles. Then....PURR. LOUD PURRING! She is still under the couch, though.

I am baffled and looking for any insight. My kids have had pink eye and I know it can stand alone, but they had it alongside a cold/virus type of thing....not anything gastro. But this happened so very suddenly. The vet said it could a stress reaction from the kids last night, but I would've thought if it were that stressful, she never would've stayed out in reach. Thank you so much in advance for any thoughts!

yelloweyes

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No advice, but I’m worried for your little Mandy. It’s awesome you’ve been to the vet already, but I wonder if this thing is still manifesing. I suggest you keep a journal of events for her - it will help you see patterns more quickly, ask better questions, and the vet can make good use of it too.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Did the vet do any bloodwork or imaging? Hiding under the couch and hiding in general means she doesn’t feel well at all. With an overweight cat it is very important that they eat. I know you did say she ate some cat broth.
What you have described sounds much more serious than “pink eye”.
Did anyone bring over flowers? Do you have plants or flowers in the house? Outside, does she have access to plants or flowers?
Could the kids have fed her anything?
Has anyone in your house started any medication ( topical)
Do you have any essential oils in the house? Air fresheners?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carrie640

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Did the vet do any bloodwork or imaging? Hiding under the couch and hiding in general means she doesn’t feel well at all. With an overweight cat it is very important that they eat. I know you did say she ate some cat broth.
What you have described sounds much more serious than “pink eye”.
Did anyone bring over flowers? Do you have plants or flowers in the house? Outside, does she have access to plants or flowers?
Could the kids have fed her anything?
Has anyone in your house started any medication ( topical)
Do you have any essential oils in the house? Air fresheners?
We did not do bloodwork or anything at the time because we hadn't seen the entire picture. All we had was her eyes and not eating. She hadn't thrown up or anything. I thought we could see how she does and go from there. Bloodwork is expensive and I didn't want to do it prematurely. She had been in my daughter's room and who KNOWS what's in there. Mandy, though, has never been one to touch anything out of the ordinary.

This morning, she got up for treats!! And she found treats from yesterday and ate those. She isn't hiding, but she still isn't as terribly active. She went outside (supervised) and saw a chipmunk. She crouched down and took off after it. She is loving being brushed, as usual. She also jumped up on my husband's lap to be pet. He had her brush and she loves that thing. My daughter got out her feather toy (on a string) and while she physically didn't jump for it, she got up and watched it like a hawk as my daughter flipped it around. So, she's acting much better but still not 100%... we haven't found and stools around the house, though....she does have some foul gas! And, shes

No air fresheners, oils, plants, or anything like that. I'm wondering if some food didn't agree with her. She loves this junk dry food (rarely wants canned food) and I think she needs better nutrition. Any food recommendations?

And here she is just a few minutes ago.

Attachments

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Sometimes cats can catch a 24 hours bug just like humans. This may be what happened here, or it could be delayed stress from the visitors. I'm just happy to hear she's feeling better, even if not 100%. It takes time to recover :alright:.

As far as food recommendations, you might want to post over in our Nutrition Forum and tell us what she currently eats, any boundaries you might have (no fish, doesn't like beef, cost, etc) and see what happens.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She is beautiful. I am glad she is doing better. Her expression looks like maybe she still isn’t 100%.
Canned food is best. Dry food is high in carbohydrates and many cats cannot process carbohydrates. Even the expensive dry foods claiming to be grain free are still high in carbohydrates. So, it’s best to get her on a canned diet.

This can be tricky with a cat that doesn’t want to eat canned. You never want a cat to go without eating because it risks them getting hepatic lipidosis(aka fatty liver disease) and that is a very serious illness. So, always make sure she eats. Heavier cats are more at risk for this.

The following website has allot of good information on cat diets. It’s an older site but still holds true. I don’t agree with all of it. I don’t think raw diets should be fed and I don’t cook for myself, I am not cooking for my cat. But there is good info on transitioning from dry to canned and the nutritional content of most canned foods.

I don’t count calories for my cats. I feed them canned and let them eat as much as they want of it. I try not to overthink things and make goals that are not attainable for myself and my cats.

Just switching to a canned diet, even fancy feast or another supermarket variety e we I’ll still improve your cats health and she will lose weight after switching to the canned without you having to withhold food.

I will link the website below.
Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition – Common Sense. Healthy Cats.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Stress can do a number on our kitties and cause all kinds of problems, and I'm thinking that's probably the cause of her problems.