Cat Suddenly Pooping (Mix of Soft & Hard Stool) Outside of Box and Vomiting

wamwam

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all, I haven't had an issue with my cat in the past so I'm new here so please excuse any mistakes or if I unintentionally break any protocol as this is my first time posting here.

She's been the best cat ever. And still is. Never had any issues, but lately, even though she's still energetic, plays, purrs, all of the normal things, she's been pooping outside of her box and vomiting in the middle of the night on the floor.

She's on a diet that includes 3 oz of Nutro Grain-Free wet food each day, and a dry food dispenser that feeds her 1/2 cup of Nulo cat food each day. There's also an automatic fountain waterer with a fresh clean filter each month.

There have been otherwise no obvious changes to her behavior or demeanor.

It has been insanely hot here (Bend, OR) for the past few weeks and there's no AC in the apartment, so not sure if that has anything to do with it?

If you dare...here's a picture of the most recent (consider yourself warned LOL):
Any ideas or knowledge imparted would be super appreciated.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Welcome!
The heat might have something to do with it. Be sure you're cleaning the fountain daily since the humidity seems to be higher everywhere and is promoting mold growth. Also, try putting ice cubes in the water now and then for her.

Leave your bathroom door open, it may be cooler in there for her. I've been reading that there are cooling mats, no idea if these are good.
How To Cool Down A Cat In Summer | Fancy Feast Lounge

Have you been weighing her? That might not be enough calories but if she's not losing, or losing very slowly, then it's fine.

And, if she hasn't seen a vet recently you might consider getting an appointment set up.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Reminds me of the poop chart online. Use a food timer at night.until you get it wake yourself up,feed her,go to bed. Canned food from the fridge would last all night since it's already cooked

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Is the food newish to her? Either of them? And how many litter boxes do you have? Do you clean or at least scoop them out often? Particularly if it's hot, I'm guessing if the box(es) aren't scooped out often, at least twice per day, they will start to smell pretty quickly, so that could be part of the problem. The vomiting in the middle of the night...is that every night? If so, i'm thinking there is something about the food that is bothering her. The Nulo kibble has peas in it, and some cats cannot tolerate them. Could you try feeding only wet food for awhile and see what happens? Which Nutro wet are you feeding? The pates are better than the others, if she'll eat them. And if you could feed one meal right before you go to bed that would ensure she isn't vomiting because of too much stomach acid. Some times it's a matter of deduction on vomiting. But I would definitely have a vet take a look at her to make sure she gets a clean bill of health.