Cat Suddenly Doesn't Want Brother Near Her

Yanaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi there!

I have two young siblings, a female and a male. They were fixed at a very young age at the shelter. I woke up this morning to a conflict between them that makes me a little worried. They were puffed and crab-walking from a distance, but it seemed to be a game for the brother; the sister, however, is still hissing, growling, hiding, puffed in angry/scared-mode, and won't let him near her. They've smelled each other, I wet his fur so he would lose whatever smell he has on him, but she's still not cooperative.

That happened overnight. He is trying to play as I type, and she swats him away ears down and hides.

Has that ever happened to your cats?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, quite a few times. She is growing up and doesn't want to play. Males tend to want to play and be rough a lot, females are the disciplinarians and it is ingrained in them to teach manners to those annoying boys. They become divas and matrons of the house.
Get a kickeroo on Amazon and throw it towards him when he is approaching her, he needs a distraction and away to get rid of all that excess energy. I keep one out and one 'steeping' in a bag of catnip to keep them refreshed, they work great. Make sure she has a place to hide and defend herself, preferably high up, my Chrissy had a bed on top the fridge. Make it known you will not tolerate his bothering her, say, NO loudly and remove him from the room if he persists. All this is perfectly normal and she will get very vocal and mad at his attentions. There will be screeching and fur flying but all taht is normal. As long as there is not deep bites and blood that is more than just a scratch. I have a mama cat that still boxes the ears of her three year old sons who just won't stop jumping on her. Although she HAS learned to run for me when she needs help. He will learn, she will stand up for herself eventually and make it known she will not stand for his attentions. He needs to fins a distraction and she needs a place to rule from. All the luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Yanaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your message! That makes sense, because he takes a lot of space that boy. I try to give them equal attention, but he's always all over the place. They already have toys and a tree, and have two stories in my apt to run the steam off, but I enjoy adding new stuff--so I'll look into the kickeroo. They don't really respond to catnip, though.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the kickeroo is more about the bunny kicking they get in. The cart nip is more about getting them interested again, you know how quick they get tired of a toy!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Yanaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think I have a toy that's as big as a kikeroo and it's fluffy, but they don't care for it. Maybe another one... I'll see

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Substitutes don't work for some reason. Just keep saying NO loudly and making sure he knows to leave her alone. As they get older, it will all settle down.