Cat suddenly biting immediately after a nap?

ahkward

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!
I was laying on the couch watching TV with my male cat now reaching his first year. He was sleeping soundly on my lap, even purring a few minutes prior. I wasn't petting him or anything, when he suddenly lifts his head and decides to bite down on my arm. He then got up and attempted to carry my arm away with him, but I pulled away and made a 'Tsk' sound; to which he replied with consecutive meows. He then bit my arm again really hard, and started to knead it (?). After I pulled away again, he started to circle it whilst meowing, even reaching up to it from my lap when I tried to pull away further. He meowed a lot, until I eventually shooed him off the couch. Is this normal, and what could be the cause for that behaviour?

derekthecat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My female cat does this. It's usually when she's feeling really relaxed and affectionate. If she's being particularly purry sometimes it turns to biting and nibbling; sometimes quite hard!  It's a bit weird and I don't know the answer but I don't think it's a harmful behaviour - If you have two cats you'll notice they do it to each other. It's just part of playfighting and affection. The fact he's kneading as well means it's not an aggressive behaviour. It just means he sees you as a sibling and is probably a bit confused that you don't do it back! Cats show their affection to each other in weird ways that sometimes look like aggressive behaviour but I think it's completely normal for cats to bite other cats they like :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ahkward

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I see, that's a relief. I'd just never seen him behave like that, I know him to be calm most of the time so it sorta caught me by surprise. Cats really have the weirdest language for 'I love you', hahah.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ahkward

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No, not yet at least. I'd guess him reaching mature age would affect his behaviour.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This does sound hormonal. I would have him spayed asap. Is he indoor only?

derekthecat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't know if this is worth pointing out but you can't spay a male cat - spaying is removing the womb and ovaries. For male cats it's called neutering. If he's not neutered then you should definitely do that, it doesn't affect the cat's quality of life and it will reduce harmful and territorial behaviour.

But I've seen both spayed and neutered cats doing this so I don't think it's necessarily sexual. Just play along with it and tickle him back, unless it's annoying or painful - in which case just discourage the behaviour by pushing him away exactly as his mother would do and it will pass!

bonepicker

Animal Lover Extraordinare
Top Cat
Purraise
He was clamping down on you like the boys do to females, get him neutered as soon as you can. They start spraying around the house, then you have a real stinky problem you can't get under control. Don't let him out before he is neutered or he will get in nasty fights and make unwanted babies![emoji]128062[/emoji][emoji]10084[/emoji]️[emoji]128576[/emoji]