Cat Suddenly Attacking Younger Cat

tinalakepia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have 2 cats - Luna who just turned 8 and Jack who will be 7 later this year. Jack and Luna have always had little tiffs now and then, but lately Luna has been growling and attacking Jack more often than before. In the past she has been the type to show a little signs of aggression prior to grooming and cuddling with him, but lately she will growl or make unhappy sounds when Jack is cuddling with me and she is near.

The only change in the semi recent past has been with their diet, I have switched them both over to a 100% homemade raw diet and Luna, who has always been very docile, has been a little more feisty and cuddly ever since. Could that have something to do with her recent aggression towards Jack? Jack has always been very active so his behavior has not changed as drastically as Luna.

moorspede

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has Luna been to the vet lately? I'm wondering if she may be a little touchy because she's been feeling uncomfortable. She may have a touch of arthritis or a tooth ache for example.

I rotate raw with cooked, I notice that my cats are a little more frisky on it but they don't become aggressive and I haven't heard anyone here saying that but just to be sure I really do suggest you to ask the experienced people in the nutrition forum. Maybe she may be getting an upset stomach from one of the sources of protein?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tinalakepia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks, I will post there. Although I must say in every other way she does not seem like she is uncomfortable or in pain. She has been more frisky and active and more cuddly with me - it's all very strange. She does need a teeth cleaning so maybe you're on to something there.

moorspede

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are most probably right but, particularly with older animals, there's always a chance that it could be a medical issue.

Have you thought that she may have become jealous of your attention to Jack? Jealousy in cats comes from basically the same place that it does with us. It's basically to do with lack of self esteem and confidence. My older cat went through a phase when I was introducing my cats where she would punish the younger one for spending time with her. I spent extra time playing, giving treats and petting the older cat alone and made sure that I petted her when I was petting the younger one. It took awhile but she got through it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tinalakepia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have thought that maybe that (jealousy) has something to do with it. Luna has always been more standoffish and Jack has always been the clingy type. They have lived together since I rescued Jack when he was 6 weeks old, so for almost 7 years. The change in diet has made her a lot more active and she has been a lot more cuddly than she has ever really been. Perhaps she just wants more attention and Jack is in the way? She is due for a vet visit so I will bring it up then. She has always gotten aggressive towards Jack under stress (she attacks him when she comes back from routine vet visits, and every time we have moved she has gone through periods of aggression towards him during the initial move-in) but she is not showing any other signs of stress. On the contrary, she seems more comfortable and active than ever before (which I attribute to the change in diet).

moorspede

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it is jealousy it will take time and patience to work through. I make sure to seek my more standoffish cat out for a pet or a quiet talk.

Feliway calms my cats down, I place the diffuser on before we go to see the vet. It doesn't work for all cats but there are alternatives such as calming chews.