Cat suddenly afraid of her favorite person?

olivekitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So a couple of months we moved into our house which unexpectedly (but luckily) came with a cat :). She's about 6 months old. She took to both of us very quickly but was especially attached to my boyfriend. Followed him everywhere and slept in the bed with him, always wanted his attention, etc. A few weeks ago I went out of town and this just so happened to be when she experienced her first heat (She has been spayed since then). Ever since I got back she has been acting very strange towards him. She cowers away from him and doesn't like when he picks her up. She will occasionally come up to him to rub against him, but usually flinches when he goes to pet her. I know he probably yelled at her to be quiet a few times during the week that I was out of town just because of the constant meowing from her being heat, but he has never been physically abusive to her. I can't think of anything that would be causing her to act this way. She's totally fine with me and still wants my constant attention, and she's not afraid of strangers. He's the only person she acts somewhat afraid of. Anyone have any ideas?

LotsOfFur

What greater gift than the love of a cat.
Top Cat
Purraise
You said that she has been spayed prior to her changing behavior towards your boyfriend? Was there maybe a male that worked at the vet clinic or was the vet male? She may associate men with the vet stay if nothing has really changed with the way your boyfriend acts towards her. Just a thought

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

olivekitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No, she has acted this way ever since I came back from my vacation. She had not been spayed yet when I got back.

LotsOfFur

What greater gift than the love of a cat.
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a cat that suddenly started acting skittish around my husband for unknown reasons also. They too were buddies but something freaked him out. I had good luck with using a calming collar and my cat is acting more normal with hubby now.