Cat stuck down an air duct ... help!

tomanykats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i wouldn't be asking should i get help i would do it right away.  I had a stray feral kitten in my home, went to feed him he got out of the cage.  I coulnd't find that cat any where he went up in the ceiling. The cat fell behind the wall, I had to cut out the sheet rock to get him out.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise

After 36 hours in our ducting our kitty finally poked her head into the vent in the girl's bedroom. She was hungry ... I put some tuna on the end of my fingers and good thing I thought to put on a pair of gloves because she was trying to claw it off my fingers with her foot. I lured her out enough that I could grab the scruff of her neck and pulled her out. I almost fainted from the adrenaline! But she's out thank goodness, and eating a nice meal and I'm happy to say that all our vents are now permanently covered! Thanks for all the well-wishes and advice.
Soon Happy to hear this!!  Happy Dance!!!  pLus 3 or 4!!!!  so relieved to hear she is out!

Thank you!! 

This is the first thread I come to on this site. I was constantly looking for updates.

I will apologize now if I sounded so harsh. I was so worried about your kitty.  I was actually scared for her. I put myself in her position and in your position. sorry if I did say some harsh, bossy things....so relieved. 

I guess there were not enough "mice" in the duct work for he!! HA HA---joke from what you had said earlier.

After all of this, what is your kitty's name?

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

After 36 hours in our ducting our kitty finally poked her head into the vent in the girl's bedroom. She was hungry ... I put some tuna on the end of my fingers and good thing I thought to put on a pair of gloves because she was trying to claw it off my fingers with her foot. I lured her out enough that I could grab the scruff of her neck and pulled her out. I almost fainted from the adrenaline! But she's out thank goodness, and eating a nice meal and I'm happy to say that all our vents are now permanently covered! Thanks for all the well-wishes and advice.
YAY!!! Good job. I'm glad to hear that she's safe. 

aprilc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am so glad she is out!

do you think that you do have mice in your vents?  Because if you do I would suggest getting her dewormed.  Eating mice often causes tapeworm (which isn't harmful to you and you won't get it from the cat, it works on a double host system, but watching the bits wiggle out of their bottoms is disgusting)

junglecat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Good news and a happy ending! [emoji]128058[/emoji] [emoji]9786[/emoji] [emoji]9786[/emoji]

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

giddyupgo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She was pretty happy to be back, she sat in my lap all night purring and making biscuits. :) But I do want to say something that will (possibly) exonerate my poor son, who has been claiming all this time that it wasn't him. He's been telling us from the beginning that the cat "lifted" the register with her claws. 

We didn't believe him, because it seemed so impossible. And it is true that at some point he took the screws out and didn't put them back in, probably to retrieve a piece of Lego or something small he dropped down there. But after we got the cat out of the ducting last night and put all the registers back on (and screwed them down), we actually saw her in his room clawing at the register, as if she was trying to lift it. She even tore up the carpet a little bit while she was doing it.  

Now I still can't say for sure that my son is telling the truth because he has been known to be a bit of a fibber, but I've since read about other cats who were clever enough to pull off vent covers and go into ducting. And it's true that she's had an interest in those things since the day she got here (she was always licking them).

Anyway there's no way she'll get in there again--we've checked them all to make sure they're secure and we don't plan to ever open them again unless we've locked the cat up in the laundry room. 

Thanks again for all the advice and concern. I love this community already. :)

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

giddyupgo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Soon Happy to hear this!!  Happy Dance!!!  pLus 3 or 4!!!!  so relieved to hear she is out!

Thank you!! 

This is the first thread I come to on this site. I was constantly looking for updates.

I will apologize now if I sounded so harsh. I was so worried about your kitty.  I was actually scared for her. I put myself in her position and in your position. sorry if I did say some harsh, bossy things....so relieved. 

I guess there were not enough "mice" in the duct work for he!! HA HA---joke from what you had said earlier.

After all of this, what is your kitty's name?
I never thought you sounded harsh. :) We were worried too, and that's why I came here looking for advice.

Our kitty's name is Frankie--my kids used to call her Frank back when she was a skinny stray (she moved into the warehouse where we have our business a couple of months ago) because they didn't know if she was a boy or a girl. When we finally figured out she was a girl we just changed the name to Frankie. I like it because it's sort of a cheeky name, which is definitely one real aspect of her personality. 

aprilc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Now I still can't say for sure that my son is telling the truth because he has been known to be a bit of a fibber, but I've since read about other cats who were clever enough to pull off vent covers and go into ducting. And it's true that she's had an interest in those things since the day she got here (she was always licking them).
Mine opens windows!  They are far smarter and much more capable than they want us to believe.

Loving Mickey

Mickey , my heart and soul Angel kitty
Top Cat
Purraise
I read through your whole thread and was so happy with the ending. Poor kitty. She must have been so frightened and I know you were as well. You have to be so careful with kitties. They are so curious about everything and that can sometimes lead them into danger. Just so glad she is out now and is safe. That is the important thing. She is safe!

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, kitties can get into some strange situations!

Wow! a mechanically minded,  Frankie!! One who can lift and open things!! beware of your cabinets!!! There may be more things she will get into.

I have seen Artie try to open a closet door. It is a good thing I have the round knobs instead of the handles..

I think you may have a Houdini on your hands! 

Thank you for taking such good care of her.   Any chance of us seeing a picture of this 'crawler'? 

fyllis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat, Keeker, is a pro at opening cabinets!  He usually gets into the cabinet under the bathroom sink and takes his naps there. But on this day, he decided he would help me put the dishes away.

View media item 304064

mollyblue

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cats love cabinets and drawers too... I use it to my advantage.  They have 3 drawers in various places in the apartment that are theirs, and one cabinet.  I don't give them access to it all the time, but when I want some me time, or if the weather is bad and we get cooped up and they are getting bored and cranky, then I open the drawer or the cabinet and I get a few hours peace.