Cat struggling to walk ... help please

Stephen0395

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
my 4yr old orange tabby cat has never had health problems, but noticed when he woke up today he was walking "drunk" his hind legs were struggling and one of his front ones was dragging. just a couple hours ago before bed he was totally fine. he is eating and using the litter just fine. he is currently sleeping. thoughts?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He may have had a small stroke or got into something and is poisoned. Either way, I would get him into the vet ASAP if at all possible, he may have to take meds to prevent further clots. He may recover from this if he isn't totally paralyzed, it is slow but does happen.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Stephen0395

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He may have had a small stroke or got into something and is poisoned. Either way, I would get him into the vet ASAP if at all possible, he may have to take meds to prevent further clots. He may recover from this if he isn't totally paralyzed, it is slow but does happen.
Will do that when i can. i was watching him that whole day and he just woke up struggling to walk. its day 2 now and he is still trying to walk. still eating and using the litter

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He needs to see the vet like di and bob di and bob has said it may be a stroke or poison, it could even be a middle ear infection. That could make him walk drunk, but he definitely needs a vet.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Another "take him to the vet" comment here.
If any person in your life woke up and suddenly could not walk I'm sure you would take them to the ER immediately.
Animals are no different. This is a neurological event that requires assessment. And cats are notorious for hiding pain.
You obviously cared enough to post about this so please, have the vet see him asap.

Stephen0395

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Another "take him to the vet" comment here.
If any person in your life woke up and suddenly could not walk I'm sure you would take them to the ER immediately.
Animals are no different. This is a neurological event that requires assessment. And cats are notorious for hiding pain.
You obviously cared enough to post about this so please, have the vet see him asap.
can anyone recommend a low cost vet in the los angeles area? I'm currently a student and don't know what I will be charged. Thank you

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not in the USA so don't know of any but a quick Google search should bring up low cost vets near you. If that doesn't work try calling the local shelter's they should be able to give you low cost vets numbers. The RSPCA runs low cost clinics here, or local cat's protection should have numbers.

Stephen0395

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm not in the USA so don't know of any but a quick Google search should bring up low cost vets near you. If that doesn't work try calling the local shelter's they should be able to give you low cost vets numbers. The RSPCA runs low cost clinics here, or local cat's protection should have numbers.
I've been looking all day and have made multiple calls most of them are booked til april the one that i chose had a check up scheduled for today but then got an email saying the earliest is the 28th of march.... what should I do

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been looking all day and have made multiple calls most of them are booked til april the one that i chose had a check up scheduled for today but then got an email saying the earliest is the 28th of march.... what should I do
Is there anyone in your family or friends that could help with vet fees for the emergency vet, or could you apply for care credit. Take the 28th appointment because it might come in handy for any follow up treatment he may need.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has there been any improvement is he still eating and drinking going to the litter.

CindyH66

Peanuts Mom
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh, poor dear ! what a pickle ! please call your local shelter and ask if a vet can look at your kitty. If he has thrown a blood clot , it is life threatening. Here in NY , the shelter vets will provide emergency care for those in financial hardship so the animal wont suffer ! Our local shelter even has a food pantry for pets so families can get food ..and will house pets when families are displaces due to domestic violence / homelessness so they can reclaim them when they get resettled. some shelters are all about helping animals, not just money. if you explain your dire situation.. .. they may have you come in. or at least steer you in the right direction !! please keep us posted on your baby !!