Cat struggling to breath sometimes HELP

unpro

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi my cat started doing this a few days ago :

July 3, 2023

It looks like he's gasping for air, usually last 30 seconds to 1 minute and happens once per day
I changed his litter box to an enclosed one a few weeks ago, maybe a part of the problem or worsening it
I'm gonna take him to the vet really soon
If somebody knows what is happening to my cat please tell me

Last edited by a moderator:

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm glad you are taking him to the vet. Perhaps a chest xray is in order. There's a lot of things it could be - infection, obstruction, asthma... Just take it a step at a time and make sure he isn't in distress.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

unpro

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, welcome!
A couple questions, are you grooming him regularly?

Is the litter you're using dusty?
Yes I groom him regularly, but the litter is kinda dusty, I don't think it is hairball tho, because he's gasping for air

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. It looks like an asthma attack. This is serious and he needs to see a veterinarian. Ask about inhaled medications to treat. You should also ask if you can have a fescue medication if you can’t stop the attack. This is all provided that it is asthma. I am not a vet. It just look and sounds to me like asthma.

Please get him seen because there won’t be a resolution of this until treated. Once you have the meds you can get it under control. Ive only had to use the inhaler 2 times over the last 12 months on my cat.