Cat Stroke (need Help Asap)

cameelacat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat piglet is experiencing stroke right now. What should I do to atleast help him before we can take him to the vet next morning? I badly need your help. He's walking sideways and acting wierd. He stays in the bathroom all the time but he only drinks little water. It's hot here in the Philippines so I put ice on his neck and head, I think he likes it. He purred when I put ice. What should I do??

moorspede

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A stroke is bleeding or a blockage of oxygen to the brain, you need to get your cat to a vet ASAP.

If you are unable to get your cat emergency medical care please see this article and note the difference between the symptoms of stroke versus that of vestibular disease. You mention it is particularly hot, is it likely the air pressure is increasing? That is, is there a storm coming?

Last edited:

babiesmom5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cat piglet is experiencing stroke right now. What should I do to at least help him before we can take him to the vet next morning? I badly need your help. He's walking sideways and acting weird. He stays in the bathroom all the time but he only drinks little water. It's hot here in the Philippines so I put ice on his neck and head, I think he likes it. He purred when I put ice. What should I do??
I am very sorry about your cat. It could be a stroke...but it could be something else. You are best having your cat evaluated by your Vet tomorrow.
In the meantime, keep your cat quiet in a comfortable, confined area so he does not injure himself. No stairs. It sounds like he is not drinking or eating much. With the heat there, he could be dehydrated as well. Your Vet may need to give him IV fluids.

Your Vet will have to determine what the underlying cause of his walking sideways and acting weird. It could be a stroke as result of hypertension caused by kidney disease. It could be caused by Vestibular (inner ear) dysfunction. It could be a blood clot, or a brain tumor.

If it is a simple stroke, a cat, given time will recover and regain use of their limbs. Just keep your cat calm and comfortable until you can get him to the Vet.

Good luck to you and Piglet.

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How old is your cat, and how is he doing these 5.5 hours later from your original post?