Cat Stressing - How to Help?

asrial

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm hoping someone here can help me, since I'm not quite used to this.

A few months ago I adopted a cat, Silva, who is now about 7 or 8 months old. It took a while but he warmed up to us (as much as he can), and got himself comfortable.  Yet every time this stray that lives in the neighborhood came round,  he'd yow like he was lonely.

So, last weekend, we went ahead and adopted him a buddy, Athena.  She's about 4 months younger than he is, so the age isn't too far apart.  At first, Silva was quite unhappy having a new kitty in the house, but after I sat with him and loved on him for a few hours, he was curious instead.  And wanting nothing more than to play, to the point he would flop on his side and mew at Athena while trying to coax her with a no-claw paw into play.

Finally, the two are playing together a little.  They chase each other about.  No hissing or scratching goes on and they are content to sleep on the same bed.  But we have a small problem; Silva seems to be getting sick, and the only reason I can guess is stress of having the little one in the house, since it's only been a week.

I was hoping someone could tell me what a good way to help relax Silva would be, as I know it can take a while longer before he gets used to Athena.  Or if this is actually something else to worry about.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

asrial

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He's been vomiting a little bit on the floors

sunnycat11

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would try worming your cat. This can often be the cause of vomiting.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
It could be stress; it could be worms as sunnycat11 said; but it could be lots of things.  If it were me, I'd take Silva to the vet to rule out any medical problems.  

It's good to hear that they get along; it's always good to have cats who are buddies.  

asrial

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't think it's worms since we got Silva dewormed right away, and we haven't seen anything to indicate it is, but I'll keep an eye on him and if he keeps it up over a day or two will call the vet (it's the weekend anyway).  If it's stress, well, best I can do is just try to love on him and assure him he's #1 kitty still.

Thanks for the opinions :)

asrial

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update:  After separating the two at night, Athena goes into Dad's room and Silva stays in the rest of the house (he's more my cat, so he's QUITE happy to have me to himself), he's not only stopped vomiting but is eating as normal and being his usual playful self.  He's even started to set his boundaries with Athena, so it seems much of this must have been stress.

Will still keep an eye on him however.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
That's great news.  Sometimes it's tough to know if it's behavioral/stress type problems, or medical.  I'm glad to hear Silva is better.  Good idea to keep an eye on him to make sure it's not ongoing.