Cat stopped eating wet food but will eat dry

catcora

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My tabby cat (male, almost 2 years old, neutered) suddenly stopped eating his wet food- he will still eat his kibble and treats! He avoids the wet food and won’t eat the kibble that’s touching it. I’ve given him kibble separately without the wet food and he ate it all. I’ve checked the expiry date and seen if they wet food (Whiskas) went bad and it seemed fine. We tried giving him a fresh can of it and he still avoids eating it- we just bought a huge pack too 😭 anyone know what’s wrong or have a similar experience to share??

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yes. Our cats will do that if they are bored of the food. Suppliment in something else.

Whiskas and Friskies also have very high salt content though. It might be making your cat feel a bit unwell. After switching for a little while, if she won't eat the Whiskas that might be the case.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. You might also do a test - mix some water with the dry food and see if he will eat it that way. If he does, at least that way you can get more moisture into him while you test various other wet foods.

Crumbling up treats or kibble to mix with the wet food might be another option - mixing the two is a bit different than just offering some kibble alongside of the wet food. Forti Flora, which is considered a probiotic, but really is pretty much just a food enticer can be sprinkled on top of the wet food too to see if he will eat it that way. There are all kinds of toppers to try - lickable treats, gravies/sauces/bisques/soups, that he might enjoy having mixed with his food. All of these could be tested to see if they work while you continue to find a food that he will eat without enhancers being added.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catcora

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes. Our cats will do that if they are bored of the food. Suppliment in something else.

Whiskas and Friskies also have very high salt content though. It might be making your cat feel a bit unwell. After switching for a little while, if she won't eat the Whiskas that might be the case.
high salt content?? i didn’t know :( i’ll keep that in mind

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catcora

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. You might also do a test - mix some water with the dry food and see if he will eat it that way. If he does, at least that way you can get more moisture into him while you test various other wet foods.

Crumbling up treats or kibble to mix with the wet food might be another option - mixing the two is a bit different than just offering some kibble alongside of the wet food. Forti Flora, which is considered a probiotic, but really is pretty much just a food enticer can be sprinkled on top of the wet food too to see if he will eat it that way. There are all kinds of toppers to try - lickable treats, gravies/sauces/bisques/soups, that he might enjoy having mixed with his food. All of these could be tested to see if they work while you continue to find a food that he will eat without enhancers being added.
Hi! Thanks for the comment, how he usually has his food is mixed with a bit of warm water and mashed up, along with a scoop of his dry food. He won’t eat the wet food on it’s own or mixed with a bit of water (although I tried again earlier with just wet food and he licked and eventually ate it) I’m just worried that this could be a health issue or some underlying issue :(

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
he usually has his food is mixed with a bit of warm water and mashed up, along with a scoop of his dry food.
I was proposing that you mix water with his dry food, so that it is soft but has the flavor that he apparently likes - unrelated to whatever wet food you are trying to get him to eat.