Cat stopped eating food with Miralax added

axeptwjoy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good evening everyone,

It has been a long time since I have been on Cat Site and now that Otis is a little older ( a lot, he is 16!) I am in need of advice about his food.
For the last year, he has been struggling with Constipation. I know it is diet and stage 1 renal disease-related.
He was doing well for a while on the Miralax, but he doesn't like the taste. I have been wrangling around this for about a year with him.
Does anyone have any other suggestions to mask the taste of the miralax?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Most cats don't notice Miralax mixed into canned food or a yummy treat like canned tuna or those lickable cat treats. Are you dissolving the dose in water first and then mixing it into food?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

axeptwjoy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I have been dissolving it in water and adding it- however, I think it is too watery because he won't really eat it.
He isn't used to lickable treats- are there any that are recommended for those that are new to it?

countrygirl576

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Good evening everyone,

It has been a long time since I have been on Cat Site and now that Otis is a little older ( a lot, he is 16!) I am in need of advice about his food.
For the last year, he has been struggling with Constipation. I know it is diet and stage 1 renal disease-related.
He was doing well for a while on the Miralax, but he doesn't like the taste. I have been wrangling around this for about a year with him.
Does anyone have any other suggestions to mask the taste of the miralax?
I had the same problem with my older cat too. At first she would eat it and then she wouldn't. Not sure why since it is supposed to be tasteless but then cats...they sure are smart ones. What I had to do in the end was mix it with water in an oral syringe and get it down her that way. There is a liquid one the vet gave me later on and it's supposed to taste great to them. The liquid one from them she loved. There is also one that is like sticky mud that you put on their paws to lick off. They told me all cats will lick it off their paws because they don't like ick on them. Well, not all cats will lick it off. My one cat just walked around flicking it's leg which flicked it all over the place. :dancingblackcat:It's like we have to become mad scientists to figure out ways to get anything down them.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Maybe you could mix Miralax with canned tuna/chicken water instead of and/or in addition to water? .

For lickable treats, I have used Vitakraft, Wholehearted, Temptations, Catit, Squeeze Ups, Tiki Cat Stix, and Inaba Churu. The latter two Feeby got tired of but still eats all the rest. There are also Delectable Stews or Bisques that might work.

I forgot to add baby food meat (Gerber Stage 2 or Beechnut).

axeptwjoy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Most cats don't notice Miralax mixed into canned food or a yummy treat like canned tuna or those lickable cat treats. Are you dissolving the dose in water first and then mixing it into food?
So I am going to get to get some lickable treats to see how he does with those. He was never interested in the past, hoping he will give them a chance....

axeptwjoy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had the same problem with my older cat too. At first she would eat it and then she wouldn't. Not sure why since it is supposed to be tasteless but then cats...they sure are smart ones. What I had to do in the end was mix it with water in an oral syringe and get it down her that way. There is a liquid one the vet gave me later on and it's supposed to taste great to them. The liquid one from them she loved. There is also one that is like sticky mud that you put on their paws to lick off. They told me all cats will lick it off their paws because they don't like ick on them. Well, not all cats will lick it off. My one cat just walked around flicking it's leg which flicked it all over the place. :dancingblackcat:It's like we have to become mad scientists to figure out ways to get anything down them.
What was the liquid one that your vet gave you?

Thank you!

countrygirl576

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What was the liquid one that your vet gave you?

Thank you!
I don't remember the name and I threw out the bottle. Sorry, normally I keep everything. You could ask your vet. I'm sure they would have to know what it is called.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I never thought cats could taste Miralax when it was mixed with water and added to wet food...
But I have been proven wrong by 2 cats...

Artie could taste/smell it... I could not believe it at the time...

Now Geoffrey, can... It is amazing.. I only used about 1/8 tsp miralax mixed with around 3 tablespoons of water.. added it to his wet food.. He sniffed it.. and walked away.. Or he took a few licks and walked away...

Now, I take Miralax, on occasion.. I can kind of taste something... it is difficult to describe, but it does not taste like plain water.. You can telll something is added to it...

Weird, because it is supposed to be tasteless...

axeptwjoy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I Otis still hasnt produced much bowel movement, its been only a few times this week ( 3 total) - I am under quarantine from COVID right now so a friend took him to the doctor on Monday. Vet did an exam and said he didn't need an enema.

I did get the lickable treats, however is isn't interested in any of them :(

I also had just sent for some BM gold, hoping it would work since it got such great reviews. I haven't really seen a change. He seems to be doing ok though- I just worry about him.

I never thought cats could taste Miralax when it was mixed with water and added to wet food...
But I have been proven wrong by 2 cats...

Artie could taste/smell it... I could not believe it at the time...

Now Geoffrey, can... It is amazing.. I only used about 1/8 tsp miralax mixed with around 3 tablespoons of water.. added it to his wet food.. He sniffed it.. and walked away.. Or he took a few licks and walked away...

Now, I take Miralax, on occasion.. I can kind of taste something... it is difficult to describe, but it does not taste like plain water.. You can telll something is added to it...

Weird, because it is supposed to be tasteless...

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just use the dollar general or walmart store brand fiber for one of my Cats, she either doesn't notice or doesn't care.

Is the fiber you are using ground psyllium husk or dextrin?