Cat Still Peeing On Dog Beds

sydney

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i posted a while ago about my cat who is peeing on dog beds, he got a little better but now is bad again, his urinalysis came back fine, I still have him on the urinary food Incase. I think it’s a behavior thing at this point. Would feliway help? Is there anything else I could give him or try? Any ideas would be great, my 13 year old arthritic dog really needs a bed to lay on. Thanks!

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Urinary issues can sometimes set up litter box aversion like this, even after the physical issue goes away. In these instances, it usually happens because the link between litterbox and pain is so cemented in kitty's mind that they don't feel ok with using the box.

The good news is that there are things you can do to deal with thus. The biggest key is changing up everything about the litterbox experience, to break that erroneous pain connection. I'd go with a different type of box (different shape, different entry etc etc) in a different location with different litter. Adding in some Cat Attract for good measure never hurts, either ;) Basically, you're litter-training all over again, until kitty learns that the box doesn't cause pain.

As for the dog beds - either clean them really thoroughly with enzymatic cleaner, removing all traces of the cat urine. If this isn't possible, replace the beds. I know its a pain, but so long as kitty can smell his pee on the beds, he'll think it's the right place to pee. Covering the beds with puppy pee pads in the short term can help a ton too. It means that any accidents are easy to clean up, and that they won't taint the freshly cleaned or new beds.

Placing a litterbox near the most favoured dog bed can help too, as it makes it easier for kitty to make the right choice.

It'll take time and patience, but he Will het past this in time. Feliway is a great idea too. The less stressed your boy is, the easier the retraining will be :)