Cat Still Has Diarrhea 2 Days After Enema

Bones908

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So on the 25th I took Tiger to the vet because I noticed it had been about 2 1/2 days that he was barely eating or drinking and was constipated. The vet administered an enema, he had a movement almost right after (just one bigger then usual hard pellet) and a little diaherrea. The vet gave me lactulose with instructions on how to give it at home but ever since the enema the day before yesterday he has been at home with diarrhea. I have not administered the lactulose because to my understanding it's used to soften stool. Yesterday he finally ate SOME and drank a decent amount of water. The stool isn't completely watery anymore. Just wondering if this is normal; should I take him back to the vet, or admin. lactulose.? Very greatful and appreciate if anymone knows anything that could help out...

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I don't really think it's normal. It's possible he still has a partial blockage of more hard stool. I know it sounds strange, but a can can have diarrhea when they are actually constipated. It's explained nicely in this thread: When Vets Give Enemas

I'm not saying for sure this is the issue, but it's possible. Especially since you said the enema only produced one bigger than usual hard pellet, if I read accurately.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bones908

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you, I'm going to read that now. It seemed he was still straining up until sometime last night. Today after waking up when I cleaned his litter box there were 2 more big pieces. Today he's gone 2 times but without any straining. Its no longer just all water its like it was the day of and after the enema when he was still straining to have a bm. It is half runny and a soft solid now. His entire mood seems to have gotten better now. I'll give it until after the holiday and if he isn't doing better by then, I'll call the vet and ask to take him in.

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hopefully he is even better today after passing more larger pieces :crossfingers:.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bones908

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey thanks for checking in that day. I know im late but i spent the last week taking care of Tiger. Long story short i used up a week of vacation to nurse him back to health. Vet told me to give hom the lactulose and shortly after he passed a couple more pieces, the problem was they were hard and dry. He went bout 3 days eating small bits and drinking tons of water and yesterday he started using the literbox normally. So I've changed his diet and hes slowly becoming the annoying 6yo he was before. Again thnx.!

cmolly91

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm having the exact same thing happen with my 2 year old male long hair.
The only difference is that he had an anal gland abscess drainage (his first, and required an incision on one side).
He is now swollen and diarrhea is getting into his open incision, he isn't allowing me to get him clean with warm compresses.
That is why I'm hesitant to administer the stool softener. I'd appreciate your thoughts.

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm having the exact same thing happen with my 2 year old male long hair.
The only difference is that he had an anal gland abscess drainage (his first, and required an incision on one side).
He is now swollen and diarrhea is getting into his open incision, he isn't allowing me to get him clean with warm compresses.
That is why I'm hesitant to administer the stool softener. I'd appreciate your thoughts.
I think you should give your Vet a call to discuss since your guy has an open wound that may be getting stool in it. E-coli comes to mind here, and that is not good. Is he on antibiotics for the Abscess? Hopefully he is, and that is good.

As far as the diarrhea goes, did you read the entire thread above, including the link referenced? It explains how constipation can apppear as diarrhea, which may be the case here. That's another reason to discuss with your Vet. Keep us posted