cat sticking tounge out?

fuzzles

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So I keep forgetting to ask this, but one morning my cat wanted attention so bad that she woke me up and of course I just had to pet her and give in. So she was kneading the sheets and then I noticed something she's never done before, and that was sticking her tounge out, purring, and kneeding at the same time. We had a male un-neutered cat (not my choice, my parents) that did this when I was a child and I've always wondered why they stick their tounge out like that. Is it over excitement?

amarna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
it's a nice thing - it means kitty is so relaxed she can't even be bothered to hold her tongue in her mouth!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hannah does this and I think it's so cute! It's a sign of relaxation and comfort with you.

Stephanie

amoore

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat, Malia did this a couple of days ago and I hurried up and grabbed my cell phone:

meowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kitty sometimes forgets to put her tongue away after grooming herself and something grabs her attention. When she turns and looks at you like that it always makes me giggle.

Some cat meds (antidepressants, anxiety, etc) make them do that too cause they are so relaxed. Sometimes I think 'hey, its a cat, they have short attention spans. maybe they just forgot'

kkh

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ku Ku often does that but I didn't know that was a sign of relaxation. I thought her tongue was too long...
I once saw her licking a food-bowl, her tongue got extended almost the entire width of the bowl! I almost call her Gene Simmons...

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chloe's tounge sometimes sticks out. Usually she just forgets to put it back in her mouth

seaturtle

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A couple of mine do that. I think it's relaxation, too, and it is very endearing.

katalina

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kitten was doing that too a few days ago and it was the cutest thing!
I think it was because of the heat. It was pretty humid here for a few days. I haven't seen her do it since then.

brokenheart

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I always thought my oldest cat did that when he was pissed. The first time he did it was when he was getting a microchip. Fast forward many years to last fall, when he was sick in the hospital; the vet told me one day that when she told him he wasn't well enough to go home yet, he stuck his tongue out her.

Of course, there were many many tongue-sticking-out's in between those two events.

mer636

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
it's sooo cute
pepe sometimes does it when he's sleeping lol it's cuuutteeee