Cat sticking out tongue often - concerned?

berylayn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our cat Lilly has begun in the past few weeks to let her tongue stick out of her mouth when resting. At first we thought it was cute, but now I am wondering if it is tied to her health. When resting with us on the couch she come purr with her tongue just slightly sticking out of her mouth and begins to drool just a little. She also shivers just slightly as well. Not anything extremely noticeable, just a slight shiver. I can't tell if these are just habits and she's happy to be around us or if something might be wrong. She is eating and drinking normally, isn't vomiting, everything else seems normal. Any thoughts?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would get her checked by the vet

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

berylayn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am planning to do that - gonna make an appt. on Monday morning. Just trying to gather some ideas on here first.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is she panting after play time??? or just out of the blue??? Could your heat be too high for her???
how old is she??

berylayn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lilly is not one to play. She is VERY shy. Sleeps much of the day and is very lethargic always. Shes always been that way.

The tongue sticking out is always when she's around us just resting and purring. I have not noticed it when she's sleeping or spending along time.

Our heat is DEFINITELY not high. I am always freezing in our house.

kalikat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ditto the vet,
maybe she has something wrong with her teeth or maybe its her way of showing you affection.

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat Kitty will poke his tongue out slightly when he`s sleeping. It just seems to be a little quirke of his.
I`d be interested to hear what your vet has to say though.

berylayn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am wondering if maybe she needs a teeth cleaning. I don't know if that would affect it. But she is about 5 years old and I don't think she's ever gotten an 'official' cleaning so we're going to go have an oral exam done. The tongue thing is so cute, but we've noticed she's doing it a whole lot more than usual.I'll keep ya'll posted.