Cat steroid injection and lung issues

maria1000

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi All

Hope you’re all doing well.

I just wanted to post my recent experience with my baby fur Mitzi. He is a 12 yr old long hair tabby cat who has lead a generally healthy life both indoors and outdoors. I’m 2019 he developed an occasional cough and we discussed this with the vet. They assured us this is nothing to worry about but we kept it under review and discussed it virtually at every appointment quarterly. They continued to reassure us they were not concerned. No treatment was recommended.

In November 2022 we made the decision for Mitzi to have a dental treatment and I asked the vet to perform X- rays to check his lungs. The scans showed “fluffy lungs” the term referred to by the vet which they said is asthma bronchitis. Mitz was prescribed prednisone 5 mg daily for one week followed by 2.5mg daily for one week following which a steroid injection was going to be given to get him covered for time spent at cattery while we traveled to see family abroad for Christmas.

On prednisone Mitzi became a shadow of its old self. He became distant, appeared confused at times, scared of us, hiding, not playing or interested in us anymore. He improved slightly on 2.5 mg. On day of steroid injection he appeared well… the next morning after 45 minutes outdoors he came in and collapsed. He looked drunk and confused. He curled on the floor and wanted to go to sleep. We panicked and took him to hospital. They put him on fluids, did blood tests. They could not identify the cause. They discharged Mitz and recommended we take him to vet for further investigations. He looked better and no longer an emergency. The vet admitted him for the day and we called for updates in the afternoon. Then they gave us the heartbreaking news that Mitz is very poorly, he has lung cancer and displaced trachea and should be put to sleep.
We went to speak to them. We were in shock, our poorly fur baby wasn’t coming home anymore. They asked us what our decision was and if we still wanted to see him. We said yes and took him home to look after him. At home he improved. The next day we took him back to remove the catheter from his leg, they left it in in case he needed to be PTS…
Mitz continued to eat, drink and go to toilet while still being spaced out. Today he almost looked normal. We are happy to see a glimpse of its old self. We wonder if the steroid injection is wearing off. On Friday we are seeing an oncologist to see if there is anything that we can do to help Mitz.

I just wanted to post here in case someone wanted offer any advice or in case it helps anyone. For the last 2 weeks I have been obsessively tried to find posts on steroid side effects and whether they can cause collapse.

Thank you for taking time to read and apologies for the long story.
M
xx

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Sorry to hear that you and Mitz are going through this. But the best thing you can do is what you are doing - seeing an oncologist for additional advice. What tests did the vet run to determine lung cancer? That is likely to be a question from the oncologist as well - and I would presume all of Mitz' records and test results are being shared with the oncologist.

There are some cats that don't do well on steroids. And I think the effects can vary widely. Not by any means the same situation, but Feeby (18+ yo) has recently been diagnosed with SCL (also hyperthyroidic with CKD and arthritis), but she is not exhibiting what the oncologist considers to be typical SCL symptoms. So, the oncologist is saying NOT to give her steroids because they can cause as many issues as they are intended to help with, especially in a cat that does not need symptom treatment (which is what steroids are mostly for). When she is treated, it will be with chemo only.

Perhaps, that is the case with Mitz?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maria1000

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi
Hi. Sorry to hear that you and Mitz are going through this. But the best thing you can do is what you are doing - seeing an oncologist for additional advice. What tests did the vet run to determine lung cancer? That is likely to be a question from the oncologist as well - and I would presume all of Mitz' records and test results are being shared with the oncologist.

There are some cats that don't do well on steroids. And I think the effects can vary widely. Not by any means the same situation, but Feeby (18+ yo) has recently been diagnosed with SCL (also hyperthyroidic with CKD and arthritis), but she is not exhibiting what the oncologist considers to be typical SCL symptoms. So, the oncologist is saying NOT to give her steroids because they can cause as many issues as they are intended to help with, especially in a cat that does not need symptom treatment (which is what steroids are mostly for). When she is treated, it will be with chemo only.

Perhaps, that is the case with Mitz?
Hi FeebysOwner thank you for your response and for the kind words. I am sorry to hear what Feeby is going through, I understand how hard it is when pets suffer especially how much they mean to us. Hopefully Feeby will respond well to chemotherapy and she will improve. Best of luck to Feeby and yourself.
Re what tests were done to determine the cancer…. Just two lung scans…. The first scan showing inflammation/scarring which was deemed bronchitis. Then the second one showing an apparent aggravation of the signs. To me they both looked the same. Vet said he seen thins before and it’s cancer and Mitz have potentially 3-8 was max to live. Funny thing is Mitz has improved over the last couple of days… and particularly today he was running around the house, jumping down from furniture and doing things he used to do before the steroids. Hence I think the injection must be wearing out. Tomorrow we have the appointment which was now changed from oncology to medical team as I am assuming they looked at the records and plan to do some proper investigations to confirm.
Thanks
M

maria1000

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi
For anyone who follows this post. We have been to see a Consultant. Mitz is having CT scans, blood tests and other investigations and we should know more next week. The consultant is cautiously optimistic that it is not cancer but we will see. Right now waiting for a call to collect Mitz from the clinic hopefully he won’t need to stay overnight. I will provide updates.

thanks
M

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Lots of members read posts, but do not respond if they do not have anything to add. People are pulling for you and Mitz, hoping it is not cancer.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
:vibes:Best wishes to Mitz and you for good results of all the tests. :crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers: Also hoping he can come home with you and doesn't have to stay overnight.

maria1000

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi again
We just left the clinic we couldn’t take Mitz home as he is very slow to recover from the anesthetic. He’s not got cancer!!!!!! Omg!!!! I nearly cried my husband is overwhelmed. But he does have tree budding bronchitis sort of thing. I don’t know much about tree budding element I need to look it up online. But the Consultant seems to think we have a good few years left. I am so happy! Just driving home now
Xox

maria1000

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
:vibes:Best wishes to Mitz and you for good results of all the tests. :crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers: Also hoping he can come home with you and doesn't have to stay overnight.
Thank you FeebysOwner is not cancer it’s bronchitis with tree in bud in pattern and we can there are options to treat. Mitz is coming home tomorrow morning.