Cat Stays Down Stairs

kitenleblanc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone,

I have a cat about 6 years that stays downstairs under our end table near where we feed him.  We recently moved into a townhouse and my four cats went through the ritual of hiding and getting to know their surroundings.  After a week everyone was okay happy, playing and exploring the house.  A few weeks ago he was acting a bit strange and was hanging out in the pantry in the kitchen.  He started mewoing loudly and then went under the table and pooped while we were eating.  I shooed him up stairs after that.  For a few days I noticed I hadn't seen him down stairs for feeding time.  I thought maybe he just came down later in the day to eat.  I kept a close eye on him and noticed he kept drinking water from our driping bathtub and that he was scavenging around the house.  When my husband fed the other cats one morning he stood at the top of the stairs and wailed really loudly and I had come to the conclusion that he had not been eating.  I put some food on a plate to coax him back down to the kitchen. because my other three cats don't like the food and water near the litterboxes.  He followed me down stairs to the kitchen and ate the food with no problems, but couldn't go back up stair by himself.  So I'd wait till he was done eating and get him to follow me back up stairs.  On the way back up stairs I noticed he was walking very slowly looking at the ground and pawing things in a scared manner.  After that he was going up and down stairs with no issues by himself to get food and eat.  Well a few days went by and I noticed that he had been hanging out downstairs under our end table and would come out when it was time to eat.  I kept a close eye on him and started to wonder.  I hadn't seen him upstairs...and if he's not upstairs he's not using the litterbox.  Turns out I was right and he had been using the are behind our couch as a place to poop and pee.  At this point I'm not sure what to do.  I have a litterbox for each cat plus an extra one.  I want to put one downstairs somewhere which I'm sure will eliminate the not using the litterbox problem.  But I will still have a not very happy cat that stays down stairs all the time not interacting or playing with the other cats.  Any advice will be most helpful I'm just not sure what to do at this point.  He gets along fine with two of my three cats.

daltongangmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sounds like alot of anxiety! I agree with LaraLove -- rule out medical issues. Once you do that, you can focus on the behavioral issues. Sometimes a calming agent may help, such as Feliway's Comfort Zone or NaturVet's Quiet Moments for cats. I've tried both and have had different success rates with different cats. Sometimes you have to work with their issues such as putting a puppy training pad where they insist on going to the bathroom. You didn't say how long you have been in your new environment. Be patient and try different things.