Cat started panting tonight?

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I only ever saw Willy pant once in his life, and it was after trying to introduce him to another cat briefly who initially didn't get along with him. We did the introduction too fast and forced it, and I now know that's a bad idea. (First-time cat owner here but owned Willy for 8 years now and learned a lot in the process).

He panted for about an hour after, which I understand now was a sign of stress.

Tonight he randomly started panting and I haven't seen him do that in years. He is 9 years old.

I am going to call my vet in the morning but does anybody know why he might be doing this all of the sudden?

I am providing him with plenty of water but he is not drinking any more than normal. But is drinking.

He also seems normal in terms of temperament otherwise. Lying down in his usual places, seems mostly relaxed, but panting while he does so. Not continuous panting, just off-and-on for brief periods.

The panting has stopped, he hasn't done it for about an hour. No other behavioral changes.

Still going to call the vet in the morning though.

Last edited by a moderator:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yeah, I would still call the vet, given his age. He could be developing a heart condition or a form of asthma, or so many other things - most of which would be very treatable. The vet may just tell you to watch him for additional incidents - if so, chart them if/when they happen and then let the vet know.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I also agree that you should see the vet and insist they check his heart and his lungs, even get an x-ray of his chest to rule out things.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also agree that you should see the vet and insist they check his heart and his lungs, even get an x-ray of his chest to rule out things.
Thanks, we have an upcoming appointment. Vet said it doesn't sound like an emergency, but he should be checked out, because he's been panting this morning a few times as well, so it hasn't entirely gone away.

I will post updates.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just to update. My cat was checked out and nothing was found wrong. He hasn't panted since, so there are two prevailing theories about that one episode of panting:

(1) He just may have been stressed out by something on this one particular day. Like I said before, the only other time I saw him panting was when stressed out by another cat. So I know he pants when stressed. Maybe there was something that happened that day, out the window, or something, that he saw and I didn't? Don't know.

(2) He does have a chronic respiratory condition that requires antibiotics every year or so, but that has never made him pant. It mostly causes sneezing. But there's also a chance he was especially nasally congested on that day, and was just trying to breathe better.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you considered treating him with supplements for the respiratory condition in case it is a viral flare up that leads to a secondary infection that requires antibiotics? I am sure there are different ones that might help, but the one I keep seeing on this site is DMG.
VETRISCIENCE Vetri-DMG Liquid Immune Supplement for Dogs, Cats & Birds, 28-mL - Chewy.com
That's not a bad idea. The treatment has always been zeniquin, which completely eliminates symptoms. But they always come back some months later.

An immune-boosting supplement can't NOT be a good idea. Never thought of doing it before. Thanks!