Cat started nipping

calispo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all, I'm new to the site but while I've found post on cats biting none of them seem to match my cat's behaviour.

We have two 3 year old male cats, both neutered, and both have recently been checked over by our local vet and been pronounced healthy.

Our first one, Snow we got at 6 weeks old, and our second Tico, we got when he was a year old, his owner had to move and was unable to take him with her. Both have gotten on great with each other from the time they were introduced and seem to get along with the other local cats, to the point that we often see a group of them in a kitty pile asleep in the garden.

Unfortunately Tico over the last few months has started nipping, I can't really say biting as he comes up gives one sharp nip then sits and looks at you or just walks away. He used to nip at toes that were outside of bed-covers when we first got him, if a meow was ignored, but soon stopped after hubby accidentally kicked him across the room (he was asleep and woke up with a jump when his toes got a nibble). Tico has never done this while we were out of bed before though, and hasn't done it while we are in bed for over a year. The first time we shrugged it off and ignored it as it was one nip and he walked away after and carried on as normal. After he'd done it a few times we took him to the vets in case it was a medical issue, perhaps he was in pain or something. There were no medical issues and the vet basically shrugged over his behaviour and said it might be a way to get attention.

We have since tried Feliway, time outs, sharp hand clapping or a sharp NO!, but they don't seem to be working. He has recently started nipping Snow now, it usually happens when Snow is hiding under a cover. Tico stalks up to the cover, gives one sharp nip then either walks away or waits for Snow to come out and they start playing as normal. The last few days Snow has started avoiding Tico for a few hours after he's nipped him and now seems reluctant to play with him indoors or share sleeping areas. Both cats seem to be fine outside and happily play and sleep together in the garden, and there doesn't seem to be fights or upsets with other local cats. Talking to the other cat owners in the area they say they haven't noticed a difference in either him or snow when he wanders over to their homes. 

Does anyone have any idea what we can do to stop it or why it happens?

Thanks for any insights, Calispo

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Hi @Calispo and sorry it's taken so long to answer.

I'm really unsure about what could be going on here.  I'm wondering whether you could keep him inside for a while and see what happens?

But honestly, that's a real stab in the dark.  Perhaps others may be able to help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

calispo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi @Mani. Sorry it took so long to reply, things have been a bit busy and although I read your reply I didn't have time to answer. I'm trying to keep him in as you suggested, we decided to go for 2 weeks and see if it makes a difference. Cico cries to go out a lot, but if you give him a fuss he soon settles down. Snow has started to refuse to go out, which doesn't bother us. We had intended our cats to be indoor cats anyway but Cico was used to going outside when we adopted him and could never really settle into not being allowed out. 

So far the nipping hasn't stopped, although snow has gone back to cuddling up to Cico, he now swats Cico when Cico nips him, which seems to surprise Cico so I'm starting to wonder if he even realises he's hurting when he does it. Looking over the website we've decided to try the advise other people have given about when kittens bite, and make a hurt sound. Our young daughter has mentioned that he has never done it to her, even though he sleeps on her bed at night.

one odd thing I've noticed is that even though we have 4 litter trays out for them, 2 upstairs and 2 downstairs, they both only use the one in the downstairs bathroom, I always thought cats would use separate litter trays. It's not a problem, it gets emptied of poop as soon as it's used and since there's 2 cats using it it gets cleaned ever 2-3 days. But could there be a reason they are not using the others? The upstairs ones are in the upstairs bathroom and on the landing (the bedroom doors aren't shut so they can come and go as they please. The downstairs ones are in the downstairs bathroom and in the back hallway which isn't usually a busy area

Will let you know how it goes and thanks for the advice.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
It's early days, so things could settle.  Do let us know.

You just never know with litterboxes
   Before I knew much about cats I just had one box...   my cat used to happily just use one, then as she got a little older she started weeing in the sink!  I put out another box and all was well.... one for wee, one for poo.  

The two I have now have four boxes and won't use each other's. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

calispo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A quick update on Tico, he seems to have stopped the nipping but I don't know if it's because we've ended up with our daughters cat staying with us or because he was reacting to something outside. 

Due to her housing situation we are looking after our daughters' cat Marv. He comes over a lot, but this is the first time he's stayed over by himself and not had our daughter stay with him. Thankfully the cats get on well together so that's not an issue.

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Snow may be teaching Chico boundaries with this nipping issue. When I adopted my now 9 year old Starbuck as 6 week old kitten my older cat Tegato had to teach her that chomping on his head was not an acceptable way to tell him she wanted to play.