Cat started attacking me...truly stumped atp

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yes Iris LOVED the puzzles ! he’s such a food driven kinda guy !! they’re so funny how they make US do the work ! your gabby sounds like such a cutie !
Iris is a handsome little man for sure. I absolutely love the picture of him on the couch sitting there like he owns the place... lol I hope you find a puzzle or one of the toys that he would love to play with.

Here is a picture of her sitting like a hooman which she does quite often lol and then her little face (I swear she knows she's a cutie) lol she is the one in the video playing with the wand toy in the post with the Jackson galaxy videos.

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

harris415

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Iris is a handsome little man for sure. I absolutely love the picture of him on the couch sitting there like he owns the place... lol I hope you find a puzzle or one of the toys that he would love to play with.

Here is a picture of her sitting like a hooman which she does quite often lol and then her little face (I swear she knows she's a cutie) lol she is the one in the video playing with the wand toy in the post with the Jackson galaxy videos.
oh yes after we moved out of my boyfriend parents house to our apartment he made it clear that HES king and it’s HIS apartment LOL !

SHE IS GORGEOUS 😍 she definitely knows how cute she is with her little poses !!! too freaking sweet ! how old is she? sorry if you said earlier

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oh yes after we moved out of my boyfriend parents house to our apartment he made it clear that HES king and it’s HIS apartment LOL !

SHE IS GORGEOUS 😍 she definitely knows how cute she is with her little poses !!! too freaking sweet ! how old is she? sorry if you said earlier
We adopted her last year and they said she was around 1 so we decided to make her adoption day her birthday which is October 20th she will be 2 on her adoption day. A birthday is supposed to be a special day and since we didn't know what it was we decided the next best important date.
When we brought her home she didn't know her name (she was abused from previous owner so I'm guessing they never really talked to her using her name and loving her).. as soon as she came home she was right at home comfortable and everything. She has been talking from the time we got her home and has not stopped. We decided she definitely has the gift of gab so her name became Gabby lol
We had went to the shelter 3 times looking for the one to bring home I wanted an older cat.. the 3rd time we were there this cat came from a hidey hole up on the super cat highway (close to the ceiling) and came right up to me. Talking and got in my lap when we told the receptionist who we had chosen (well who had picked us lol) they were shocked.. she had been there for a long time and was always scared hiding. Once we heard her story and how she picked us We had to bring her hime.
My friend said she must have been studying us and decided we were someone she could trust..
I am so grateful that she settled in as soon as she got home and the things she was terrified of when we brought her home isn't nearly as bad. Like she is still cautious but doesn't run anymore but we have to talk to her and move at a slow pace when we have shoes on we can almost guarantee she was kicked from someone with shoes on. She used to run as soon as we got our shoes now she just watches. Like I said though I talk to her and move slowly she will even come rub on us that's how much progress she has made when it comes to feet with "weapons" on them
She is my life I love her to pieces and we can tell she loves us. We got lucky she chose us.

She is such a character such a sweetheart..

So Iris is almost a year and a half right? I find it funny that they both make us Fetch their toys. I really truly hope the playing and puzzle feeder or toy helps to occupy some of his time when you're busy so he isn't trying to play inappropriately. Which isn't necessarily bad it's him just playing he is a kitty playing like a normal kitty who wants someone's attention lol. So hopefully these things and other recommendations mentioned here will help.

Sorry for such a long post but her story is important to me and how much she has grown in just 10 months..

harris415

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We adopted her last year and they said she was around 1 so we decided to make her adoption day her birthday which is October 20th she will be 2 on her adoption day. A birthday is supposed to be a special day and since we didn't know what it was we decided the next best important date.
When we brought her home she didn't know her name (she was abused from previous owner so I'm guessing they never really talked to her using her name and loving her).. as soon as she came home she was right at home comfortable and everything. She has been talking from the time we got her home and has not stopped. We decided she definitely has the gift of gab so her name became Gabby lol
We had went to the shelter 3 times looking for the one to bring home I wanted an older cat.. the 3rd time we were there this cat came from a hidey hole up on the super cat highway (close to the ceiling) and came right up to me. Talking and got in my lap when we told the receptionist who we had chosen (well who had picked us lol) they were shocked.. she had been there for a long time and was always scared hiding. Once we heard her story and how she picked us We had to bring her hime.
My friend said she must have been studying us and decided we were someone she could trust..
I am so grateful that she settled in as soon as she got home and the things she was terrified of when we brought her home isn't nearly as bad. Like she is still cautious but doesn't run anymore but we have to talk to her and move at a slow pace when we have shoes on we can almost guarantee she was kicked from someone with shoes on. She used to run as soon as we got our shoes now she just watches. Like I said though I talk to her and move slowly she will even come rub on us that's how much progress she has made when it comes to feet with "weapons" on them
She is my life I love her to pieces and we can tell she loves us. We got lucky she chose us.

She is such a character such a sweetheart..

So Iris is almost a year and a half right? I find it funny that they both make us Fetch their toys. I really truly hope the playing and puzzle feeder or toy helps to occupy some of his time when you're busy so he isn't trying to play inappropriately. Which isn't necessarily bad it's him just playing he is a kitty playing like a normal kitty who wants someone's attention lol. So hopefully these things and other recommendations mentioned here will help.

Sorry for such a long post but her story is important to me and how much she has grown in just 10 months..
don’t apologize!! it just shows how much you love and care for her and honestly it’s extremely touching and it is very important to hear! so many cats that have temperament issues get disregarded bc they’ll be too hard when a lot of times it’s situations like your Gabby’s that have happened to lead them to not trust humans / be cautious. i find it so funny that cats really do CHOOSE their people! they’re such smart interesting animals. i’m glad she went home with you guys - people that had the patience to give her the love and build that trust with her! it’s clear you’d do anything to make her feel that way. i love the way you came up with her name and it sounds as though it suites her well LOL! hurts my heart that anyone could’ve mistreated that beautiful baby.

Iris is just about a year and a half! His birthday is April 11th - four days before mine! he’s my little aries man lol! and honestly it doesn’t bother me the way he plays i completely understand he doesn’t even realize he’s could be hurting me ! and a lot of the time he bunny kicks with soft paws. i think these past few weeks he’s been mad at me too and letting me know - i run a clothing store and have almost no staff right now which has lead to me working a lot these past two weeks! he wants his mama back home lol!

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
don’t apologize!! it just shows how much you love and care for her and honestly it’s extremely touching and it is very important to hear! so many cats that have temperament issues get disregarded bc they’ll be too hard when a lot of times it’s situations like your Gabby’s that have happened to lead them to not trust humans / be cautious. i find it so funny that cats really do CHOOSE their people! they’re such smart interesting animals. i’m glad she went home with you guys - people that had the patience to give her the love and build that trust with her! it’s clear you’d do anything to make her feel that way. i love the way you came up with her name and it sounds as though it suites her well LOL! hurts my heart that anyone could’ve mistreated that beautiful baby.

Iris is just about a year and a half! His birthday is April 11th - four days before mine! he’s my little aries man lol! and honestly it doesn’t bother me the way he plays i completely understand he doesn’t even realize he’s could be hurting me ! and a lot of the time he bunny kicks with soft paws. i think these past few weeks he’s been mad at me too and letting me know - i run a clothing store and have almost no staff right now which has lead to me working a lot these past two weeks! he wants his mama back home lol!
Exactly you understand that him doing that is his way of getting your attention to play if you were a cat it would be the same thing pounce and wrestle lol.. he seems like a sweetheart really and I can see where you being stretched so thin would make him a little more amped up wanting your attention because he is used to having you and now you're a little busier than usual.. it really does sound exactly like he just wants you and your attention.

You are absolutely correct too. Not a lot of people would want to take on a kitty that has that kind of background... I didn't even want a young cat at all I wanted an older cat because they have harder times getting adopted.. but her case was different.. she wasn't just a normal young kitty she was a young kitty yes.. but a kitty who was scared of everything so that had an impact on my decision.. that and the fact she picked us.. if you take a cat like that been through a lot and scared, one that is going to take work to make them comfortable and feel loved and be able to trust again and an older cat. People would go for the older cat more so than one like her. Which there Is nothing wrong with her. She is a special little girl with a sad story that makes her who she is. I think that's part of the reason she is so loving because she appreciates being loved she didn't have that before...
Omgoodness I'm crying thinking about her past. Ugh she is in a great place now in a house full of love that is what matters. That and she is happy and healthy. She is perfect for my husband and me. We are so lucky she chose us.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL he trained me to fetch his little spring toys and his favorite sushi as well
My cat Willy has long had me trained to fetch his little toy mice, springs, and balls out from under the couch where he inevitably (and sometimes, I suspect, deliberately) knocks them.

I have a grabber thing and a flashlight for this daily occurrence, and he watches intently as I fish the toys out. It makes him excited to watch, although I can't figure out if it's over anticipation for getting his toys back, or amusement from watching me on my hands and knees like a trained monkey.

my boyfriend and i literally would pretend to chase the wand ourselves so he could see and honestly it did work!
Cats learn how to play from watching each other, so this makes sense. I've also heard that mimicking scratching with your fingernails on a newly introduced scratching post can work to demonstrate its purpose to a cat.

Here are some pics... Willy always preferred little loose toys like these to wand toys. So I've been tossing them around for him for years, and they inevitably disappear under the couch within seconds.

The beaver toy is one of his favorites, but I swear he puts it under the couch on purpose. I think I've fished it out 10,000 times.

20220704_174136.jpg

20180510_223443.jpg

harris415

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Exactly you understand that him doing that is his way of getting your attention to play if you were a cat it would be the same thing pounce and wrestle lol.. he seems like a sweetheart really and I can see where you being stretched so thin would make him a little more amped up wanting your attention because he is used to having you and now you're a little busier than usual.. it really does sound exactly like he just wants you and your attention.

You are absolutely correct too. Not a lot of people would want to take on a kitty that has that kind of background... I didn't even want a young cat at all I wanted an older cat because they have harder times getting adopted.. but her case was different.. she wasn't just a normal young kitty she was a young kitty yes.. but a kitty who was scared of everything so that had an impact on my decision.. that and the fact she picked us.. if you take a cat like that been through a lot and scared, one that is going to take work to make them comfortable and feel loved and be able to trust again and an older cat. People would go for the older cat more so than one like her. Which there Is nothing wrong with her. She is a special little girl with a sad story that makes her who she is. I think that's part of the reason she is so loving because she appreciates being loved she didn't have that before...
Omgoodness I'm crying thinking about her past. Ugh she is in a great place now in a house full of love that is what matters. That and she is happy and healthy. She is perfect for my husband and me. We are so lucky she chose us.
100000% i applaud you for your patience with her. she sounds like such a love bug! i’m so glad she went to a great home!!! it’s sad how many people expect animals to just be a cute accessory or in her cases , something to take advantage of :(

harris415

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat Willy has long had me trained to fetch his little toy mice, springs, and balls out from under the couch where he inevitably (and sometimes, I suspect, deliberately) knocks them.

I have a grabber thing and a flashlight for this daily occurrence, and he watches intently as I fish the toys out. It makes him excited to watch, although I can't figure out if it's over anticipation for getting his toys back, or amusement from watching me on my hands and knees like a trained monkey.

Cats learn how to play from watching each other, so this makes sense. I've also heard that mimicking scratching with your fingernails on a newly introduced scratching post can work to demonstrate its purpose to a cat.

Here are some pics... Willy always preferred little loose toys like these to wand toys. So I've been tossing them around for him for years, and they inevitably disappear under the couch within seconds.

The beaver toy is one of his favorites, but I swear he puts it under the couch on purpose. I think I've fished it out 10,000 times.

View attachment 458465

View attachment 458468
WILLY IS SO HANDSOME!!!! they’re so funny! Iris does the same thing! he gets SO excited that i’m digging under the couch for them - they definitely love to see the proof that their in charge and run the house LOL !

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

View attachment 458465

View attachment 458468
Willy is too stinkin cute!!! I absolutely love him! Gabby never was into wand toys until I watched videos and got her the right kind of wand toys.. she doesn't play with the string ones much (she just lays there and if it comes close to her she might swat at it) feather wand toys aren't much different but wormeys that is her jam.. lol she is in love with the worm types... so I have plenty of back up wormeys because she tears them up lol

I cut 36 seconds of one of her videos I love her little jumps especially sideways jumps while going after wormey..

So a cat who never played with wand toys to this is a huge difference mainly because of the type of toy and watching some videos of how to get her playing. Enjoy this little clip

harris415 harris415 don't applaud me I just wanted to give this little girl who had been through so much the home and love she deserves. She chose me lol truly I'm the lucky one honestly..
I can't stand people who base getting a cat on looks and age... every kitty deserves a chance which is why I was going to adopt an older kitty.. I guess you could say God knew I wanted to rescue a kitty that would be hard to adopt out so he led Gabby to trust us knowing I'd take her and give her a great home full of love. These days cats can't have any deformities they need to be kittens and they can't have any anxiety or anything like that. It apparently makes for a "bad cat" or "it's too much work"
Well you know what... it may be a lot of work but the pay off is amazing to watch them blossom and their true personality shine through when they had been suppressing it for so long due to their past owners who BTW should have never had a kitty to begin with... I got the best part I'm so lucky to have the chance for her to trust me and to see her become herself. It was a gift from her to me that I never could have imagined

Last edited:

harris415

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Willy is too stinkin cute!!! I absolutely love him! Gabby never was into wand toys until I watched videos and got her the right kind of wand toys.. she doesn't play with the string ones much (she just lays there and if it comes close to her she might swat at it) feather wand toys aren't much different but wormeys that is her jam.. lol she is in love with the worm types... so I have plenty of back up wormeys because she tears them up lol

I cut 36 seconds of one of her videos I love her little jumps especially sideways jumps while going after wormey..

So a cat who never played with wand toys to this is a huge difference mainly because of the type of toy and watching some videos of bow to get her playing. Enjoy this little clip

harris415 harris415 don't applaud me I just wanted to give this little girl who had been through so much the home and love she deserves. She chose me lol truly I'm the lucky one honestly..
I can't stand people who base getting a cat on looks and age... every kitty deserves a chance which is why I was going to adopt an older kitty.. I guess you could say God knew I wanted to rescue a kitty that would be hard to adopt out so he led Gabby to trust us knowing I'd take her and give her a great home full of love. These days cats can't have any deformities they need to be kittens and they can't have any anxiety or anything like that. It apparently makes for a "bad cat" or "it's too much work"
Well you know what... it may be a lot of work but the pay off is amazing to watch them blossom and their true personality shine through when they had been suppressing it for so long due to their past owners who BTW should have never had a kitty to begin with... I got the best part I'm so lucky to have the chance for her to trust me and to see her become herself. It was a gift from her to me that I never could have imagined
love the video! her personality certainly has come out with you! i’m so happy for you both. the effort you both put in (bravery on her part and the TRUST) certainly paid off. they truly are a gift.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
love the video! her personality certainly has come out with you! i’m so happy for you both. the effort you both put in (bravery on her part and the TRUST) certainly paid off. they truly are a gift.
She is our luvbug and it was truly a blessing to have her pick us of all people.. she was there for a few months at the shelter..

She is a true daddy's girl too which I love. He wasn't all for getting a cat (long story but not because he is against animals or anything like that.. he had to take care of all his moms animals growing up and when they got older he was the one to take them to the vet to be pts which always made him sad he didn't want to get a kitty then be the only person doing everything because that's how it has been his whole life) but since day one when we brought her home he was inlove which melted my heart.. it made me feel really good knowing that she had love from the both of us. Their relationship is different from her and me. She loves us both that is evident but loves us a little differently which I find absolutely adorable.

I am so greatdul for her being in our lives. She completes our family for sure. I thank God she I guess studied us each time we were there then decided to trust us at least enough to come out and pick us. It did take work with certain things but as soon as we got her home it's like she was relieved and knew she was safe. I don't know how to explain it. There were some things that took work and the shoe thing still makes her cautious but she has come such a long way we are so proud of her bravery, trust, and we absolutely love her and the love she gives. She really is such a special little girl with a huge personality..

I'm so glad I took the scared little kitty because she truly has blessed us with her trust and pure love.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is our luvbug and it was truly a blessing to have her pick us of all people.
That's how I feel about Willy. He was lost outside, in the woods behind my mom's house out in a rural suburb of the Milwaukee area... The odds he would find people at all out there were low, but then he just happened to find us, of all people. And he found us within what could have been his final few days, since he was very starved and sick.

What were the chances? Such a happy accident. And I couldn't have asked for a better cat to have found me. He's my awesome little buddy. And his name kind of chose itself, too... like how you said Gabby became Gabby.

I mentioned in another thread that I lost my younger brother years ago. My brother was an artist, and was a creative kid when we were growing up. He was always drawing funny characters and making up stories. One of which was "Silly Willy."

My brother also had red hair, which was unusual in our family because nobody else does. When Willy, the cat, showed up, my mom and I noted that the red spots on Willy's coat resembled the same shade of my late brother's hair.

We brought him inside before naming him, and I think my mom was the one who thought of Willy. It fit him perfectly. He stayed at my mom's house briefly before becoming my cat and moving in with me.

harris415

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's how I feel about Willy. He was lost outside, in the woods behind my mom's house out in a rural suburb of the Milwaukee area... The odds he would find people at all out there were low, but then he just happened to find us, of all people. And he found us within what could have been his final few days, since he was very starved and sick.

What were the chances? Such a happy accident. And I couldn't have asked for a better cat to have found me. He's my awesome little buddy. And his name kind of chose itself, too... like how you said Gabby became Gabby.

I mentioned in another thread that I lost my younger brother years ago. My brother was an artist, and was a creative kid when we were growing up. He was always drawing funny characters and making up stories. One of which was "Silly Willy."

My brother also had red hair, which was unusual in our family because nobody else does. When Willy, the cat, showed up, my mom and I noted that the red spots on Willy's coat resembled the same shade of my late brother's hair.

We brought him inside before naming him, and I think my mom was the one who thought of Willy. It fit him perfectly. He stayed at my mom's house briefly before becoming my cat and moving in with me.
willy’s story is just as sweet as him it seems!! i love when the cat distribution system works it’s magic like that. it’s crazy that he has the same shade of hair as your brother ! don’t know what you believe in but maybe your brother sent him to you :)

my childhood cats Mufasa and Oreo were both found outside under the porch. Mufasa we had for the longest time - until i was about 15 and my parents found him the year before i was born. He was a sweet sweet boy he was an outside cat though (we lived in an area where it was appropriate my mom was also raised on a farm - need i say more) my other cat Oreo was an inside boy and he was the sweetest - if he heard me cry he would come RUNNING to my side - it’s funny bc Iris looks exactly like him and the other night i was upset and crying a little and Iris came up onto the bed and licked at my tears just like Oreo used to. Unfortunately my neighbor (i believe) took him. Then when i was about 16 and we had since moved my moms friend found our baby Mona under the her front steps! my mom insisted that we couldn’t take her (even tho we had no animals i think she was still hurt from Mufasa) i wore her down into taking Mona in. she got her name bc she’s a little monkey and mona is monkey in spanish lol. i lived with my dad at the time and didn’t get to see her much but she was a sweet skittish girl. when my mom moved back to her dads house there’s so many dogs there that we didn’t want to stress her out so i offered to take her i had wanted a cat forever but i was just 18 at the time and my mom knows how’d i would be it didn’t want me to have that responsibility in my first year on my own :( so she went with her favorite human my grandmother! flash forward 4 years and my brother sent me a photo of the kitten he was taking from one of his friends cat who was pregnant when he rescued her. I immediately knew that it was time and that the fact that they were little tuxies was a sign! Iris was not the one i was told I was getting (truthfully I did not care i just wanted to make sure i could help give a good home!) but i couldn’t have asked for a more perfect boy for me. he’s angsty at times just like his mommy but the biggest sweetheart for those he really loves and trusts :)

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I absolutely love how Willy got his name. It really seems like it was the most perfect name for him. Also you are able to keep your brothers stories of silly willy close to your heart. He was a very lucky boy to find you and you were lucky enough for him to come into your life. I love people's stories of how they got their kitties and named them especially when it is heartfelt like yours. Thank you so much for sharing. Willy is such a special little man and lucky to have you in his life.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i love when the cat distribution system works it’s magic like that. it’s crazy that he has the same shade of hair as your brother ! don’t know what you believe in but maybe your brother sent him to you :)
I like that term, the "cat distribution system." I agree that it's always wonderful to hear when it works its magic, but I wish it worked out for more cats who need homes.

I don't believe in spiritual stuff like my brother sending Willy to me, but I don't discount other people who do. Because even if I don't believe in it directly, I recognize that Willy brings some piece of my brother back in the form of memories, and strengthens my connection to him in that way.

As an atheist and skeptic, I often observe that ideas like this are often similar to ideas I have, myself, but they are just different ways of explaining intangible things. I don't have to agree with the explanation to agree with the underlying sentiment behind it.

my other cat Oreo was an inside boy and he was the sweetest - if he heard me cry he would come RUNNING to my side - it’s funny bc Iris looks exactly like him and the other night i was upset and crying a little and Iris came up onto the bed and licked at my tears just like Oreo used to.
They can definitely sense our emotions.

I've been through some tough times with Willy at my side, including addiction recovery and some mental health issues. Whenever I've been sitting at home depressed or going through something, Willy definitely reacts to it.

He will frequently approach me, slowly, and make inquisitive-sounding trills. Like trills with a question mark at the end... "Mmmrrr?" If I don't respond he will go to another side and keep doing it. And he will climb higher on me while doing so, so he can be at eye level while making these sounds.

Then he will bunt my face and sometimes groom my beard (he never does that in any other context). And he will generally get very clingy for the whole night.

After having him for 9 years, I can tell there's definitely a correlation between this behavior and my feeling depressed. He knows. And he ALWAYS makes me feel a little better. When he comes up to my face, asking me "Mmmrrr?" and bunting me, I cannot avoid starting to pett him and to reciprocate some love.