Cat started attacking me...truly stumped atp

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

harris415

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
harris415 harris415 has not said they used their hands for play, or mentioned rehoming. It sounds like you have had a bad experience and are basing your comments on that.
The reason we have a cat site is to help people to find ways around this kind of behaviour, and there ARE ways.
I'm sorry that you feel that there is no help that can be given. But I have seen the opposite and so cannot help but disagree, and judging by the other responses, so do our other members.
thank you 🤍

harris415

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Quick to judge, are we?

harris415 harris415 said nothing about playing using hands, and you have no idea how the cat was raised. The details given in the original post suggest this cat receives attentive, loving care.

You didn't even get the gender of the cat correct. He was described as a "very vocal boy and attention lover." If you are going to make claims that "there is nothing you can change" based on a single post, then you should at least demonstrate you paid attention to the details given by the OP.

Anyway, I read nothing that indicates there is behavior beyond the point of correcting. If anything, we don't know enough yet to make definitive conclusions. As @mani pointed out, the purpose of this forum is to post questions, interact with other members, and work together to help each other solve problems. This is a relatively new thread and I'm hoping harris415 harris415 returns to discuss it further with us.
thank you so much!! really appreciate the kindness on this forum. we’ve had a great week so far! i got the king kicker toy for him and he’s been going CRAZY for is. we’ve also started some cat TV followed by some wand play time (i feel he might get frustrated if i don’t give him something to physically grab after his TV lol)! only one night this night did he nibble on me a bit - but it was more just putting him teeth on me then actually biting and i just pushed him off gently and he laid down next to me instead of trying to continue :)

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
i got the king kicker toy for him and he’s been going CRAZY
I was going to suggest that! I have some very rambunctious cats and they love those kicker toys. It's the next best thing to getting them another young cat to play with.

Male cats do tend to need to burn off their energy, but they calm down as they mature.

Thank you for being so patient with him.

:heartshape:

harris415

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Of course, but he did not say that she did not use her hands to play with the cat either. I would add that is very important if he lives in an apartment or a house. Living in a house and not in an apartment could make a difference. Only time will tell if the cat will behave better or worse. I did not say there is any chance, I'm more skeptical because this cat is using many ways to play rough with him, the cat is not using one technique only, the cat uses her entire arsenal. to play aggressive. I didn't want to bother anyone.
I was going to suggest that! I have some very rambunctious cats and they love those kicker toys. It's the next best thing to getting them another young cat to play with.

Male cats do tend to need to burn off their energy, but they calm down as they mature.

Thank you for being so patient with him.

:heartshape:
thanks for the kind advice! he’s been having a BALL this week. we had a bear stuffy that he had since he was little that he would pounce on and bunny kick but he kicked the head right off and until now all replacements have been rejected !

harris415

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Of course, but he did not say that she did not use her hands to play with the cat either. I would add that is very important if he lives in an apartment or a house. Living in a house and not in an apartment could make a difference. Only time will tell if the cat will behave better or worse. I did not say there is any chance, I'm more skeptical because this cat is using many ways to play rough with him, the cat is not using one technique only, the cat uses her entire arsenal. to play aggressive. I didn't want to bother anyone.
i appreciate the reply however he’s not a vicious boy like you’ve made him out to seem. he was raised alongside my nephew who was 6 months when i started watching him. he’s not aggressive around his food , never hisses , my nephew will sit right next to him and lay on him whatever and he’s fine. it’s really just nips and jumps on ME. i am literally the only one he does it to and based off research and the feedback of most of the people in this forum is simply bc he wants to play.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
we’ve also started some cat TV followed by some wand play time
I used to do something similar with Willy. He LOVES cat TV (some of my go-to videos are by the creator linked below). When he'd get all wound up, and would start hunting around the back of the TV to try to find where the birds went, I'd toss his toy mice around the room.

I still play videos for him sometimes (he's 10 now) but he's more content just watching.

harris415

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hi! first post bc i’ve truly looked everywhere possible on the internet and can’t seem to find anything that really directly correlates. my boyfriend and i adopted a kitten from a friend at 8 weeks and we’ve loved and adored him ever since - he’s a year and four months now ! he’s always been a very vocal boy and an attention lover (at his command) but recently he has been following me to the bedroom and attacking ONLY me when laying in bed scrolling on my phone. pounce on my arms , bunny kicking etc.

I've tried redirect with multiple favorite toys and even some new ones. i play with him for 25 minutes before work and for hours between 7pm and 11 lol. also would like to note i am his primary caregiver (feed him ,do litter box , brush , etc) and his favorite (sorry ! ) out of us in the household. i love him to death i just want to figure out what we aren’t doing to properly meet his needs and give him the life he deserves :) ! thanks for any tips in advance!
attached two pics of the big goof. his name is Iris for all those involved now LOL and he’s appreciated all of your advice!

Attachments

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
the videos were super helpful ! thank you for taking the time to reply :)
You're welcome. I really hope the videos were helpful.
Also if you play with your little guy before a meal that might make him extra happy... I do this with Gabby where I play with her before one meal a day because a cats natural instincts are to hunt (play) kill (catch the toy maybe give it a shake lol) then eating their catch (meal time) clean and sleep
It doesn't even have to be the full boil and simmer technique.. if your kitty is wanting to play right around meal time and you have a a little time to play you can offer a small play session (or if you have time for a fill boil and simmer play session and he is all for it by all means go for it) then give him his meal. He will definitely be ready for a nap after he eats.

I think the best part about that technique for me and my girl is how I got a cat who didn't really play a lot with anything but little mice (I would throw it she would run after it and pounce on it. Then I'd have to go get it to throw it again lol I was fetching hahaha) now she plays with wand toys doing leaps and jumps she loves it so much. If I'm not paying attention to her she will grab her "wormey" and drag the whole pole to me lol
It warms my heart and I hope you get just as much if not more enjoyment out of play time.

Also you might have said but I'm not sure.. is he on wet or dry food?

BTW he is an absolutely handsome little boy

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi there...
Welcome to TCS.... having begun my career with BIG cats I instinctively will not tolerate any kind of wrestle play or such as you've described.... this sweet boy loves you,as I'm sure you know and having him since he's such a little baby he's bonded ( like imprinting)with you so in his mind it's perfectly okay to jump on your arms and kick- the reason he does this when you're lying down is because you are on his level for the playing field- sit up quickly and with a sharp NO he will understand the correction just as when a Mama cat stands and arches her back and gives a loud hiss ,followed by a swat( which you'll not do,lol)

Very often when we raise young ones and they are a solo cat these things happen,it's normal at this age and easily corrected(these are things that are usually taught by their Mamas,discouraged biting too hard,when it's okay to play etc... You have to teach him though ,he's a late bloomer,lol I'm surprised he's taken so long to fo this unless it was just not as rough and maybe you didn't mind?

Anyway,I haven't read everyone's replies yet but just wanted to be sure to tell you to sit up,making yourself TALL as a cat does'- use the language they understand when you are correcting them,you don't want to frighten,you want to communicate " No,I'm the boss and it's not allowed"
Also,just ignore negative feedback,you needn't even reply -take the best & leave the rest ❤😻
Btw,he's GORGEOUS

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Just to let you know,there's absolutely no difference if you live in an apartment or a house,completely irrelevant regarding the topic at hand and most any other topic regarding a cats behavior

Your certainly entitled to your opinion about anything but here we come to support,encourage and help fellow cat lovers to resolve issues ..... it does not seem you've had good experiences with cats and perhaps that's why you've given such negative feedback or could be you've been misinformed-I hope you can have a change of heart after reading accurate information here as many of us are professionals ( behaviorist,trainers,rescuers,shelter workers ,friends of ferals etc...) Put us all together and you have a wealth of knowledge and hundreds of years of experience.....

So please,read on and learn❤

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Also if you play with your little guy before a meal that might make him extra happy... I do this with Gabby where I play with her before one meal a day because a cats natural instincts are to hunt (play) kill (catch the toy maybe give it a shake lol) then eating their catch (meal time) clean and sleep
It doesn't even have to be the full boil and simmer technique.. if your kitty is wanting to play right around meal time and you have a a little time to play you can offer a small play session (or if you have time for a fill boil and simmer play session and he is all for it by all means go for it) then give him his meal. He will definitely be ready for a nap after he eats.

I think the best part about that technique for me and my girl is how I got a cat who didn't really play a lot with anything but little mice (I would throw it she would run after it and pounce on it. Then I'd have to go get it to throw it again lol I was fetching hahaha) now she plays with wand toys doing leaps and jumps she loves it so much. If I'm not paying attention to her she will grab her "wormey" and drag the whole pole to me lol
It warms my heart and I hope you get just as much if not more enjoyment out of play time.

Yes,Gabby has taught you to "fetch" quite well!." Good girl"❤❤❤..... love you 🥰

Lieutenant2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! my cat is NOT a vicious boy who runs around attacking people. he is a calm sweet boy who is very attached to me and just wants all of MY attention when i get home. sorry to hear that you do not have the patience to try and understand what’s going on and would take the easier route out of rehoming but that is NOT EVER an option in my situation. he is a single cat of course he gets lonely and wants to play. it’s my job to make sure he’s satisfied as i’ve chosen this life for him. this post was simply to get some advice as to how i can actually tire his ass out and make sure he’s playing well. i did educate my cat when he was young. i’ve had him since he was 9 weeks old and never played with my hands. please don’t assume. if you have questions ask.
Good. So you will not rehome the cat, which is great because many people prefer to put the responsibility of a cat like that on somebody else. Many try to rehome such cats and I think is wrong. Sorry if I supposed that you played with the hands with the cat. I didn't know. My experience is only as a cat owner.

harris415

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I used to do something similar with Willy. He LOVES cat TV (some of my go-to videos are by the creator linked below). When he'd get all wound up, and would start hunting around the back of the TV to try to find where the birds went, I'd toss his toy mice around the room.

I still play videos for him sometimes (he's 10 now) but he's more content just watching.

thanks for the suggestions! we’ll try them out! so far he’s been a big fan of those videos with the mice running across the screen - i’ve put them on my ipad bc i KNOW he’d try to climb the TV from his posts on the walls LOL

harris415

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

LOL he trained me to fetch his little spring toys and his favorite sushi as well ! they’re such funny creatures. i look forward to playing with him everyday honestly his personality never fails to make me smile. as he’s gotten older and after also showing him how he’s learned how to play with this wands and other toys. my boyfriend and i literally would pretend to chase the wand ourselves so he could see and honestly it did work! he’s a very smart boy.

he has been on a combo of the both since he was little. he loves the crunchies of the dry food but i give him mostly wet :)

thank you for the compliment ! he’s quite distinguished !

harris415

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there...
Welcome to TCS.... having begun my career with BIG cats I instinctively will not tolerate any kind of wrestle play or such as you've described.... this sweet boy loves you,as I'm sure you know and having him since he's such a little baby he's bonded ( like imprinting)with you so in his mind it's perfectly okay to jump on your arms and kick- the reason he does this when you're lying down is because you are on his level for the playing field- sit up quickly and with a sharp NO he will understand the correction just as when a Mama cat stands and arches her back and gives a loud hiss ,followed by a swat( which you'll not do,lol)

Very often when we raise young ones and they are a solo cat these things happen,it's normal at this age and easily corrected(these are things that are usually taught by their Mamas,discouraged biting too hard,when it's okay to play etc... You have to teach him though ,he's a late bloomer,lol I'm surprised he's taken so long to fo this unless it was just not as rough and maybe you didn't mind?

Anyway,I haven't read everyone's replies yet but just wanted to be sure to tell you to sit up,making yourself TALL as a cat does'- use the language they understand when you are correcting them,you don't want to frighten,you want to communicate " No,I'm the boss and it's not allowed"
Also,just ignore negative feedback,you needn't even reply -take the best & leave the rest ❤😻
Btw,he's GORGEOUS
thank you so so much! he appreciates the compliment!! i will be sure to try that as well honestly the thought didn’t occur to me as silly as it seems

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL he trained me to fetch his little spring toys and his favorite sushi as well ! they’re such funny creatures. i look forward to playing with him everyday honestly his personality never fails to make me smile. as he’s gotten older and after also showing him how he’s learned how to play with this wands and other toys. my boyfriend and i literally would pretend to chase the wand ourselves so he could see and honestly it did work! he’s a very smart boy.

he has been on a combo of the both since he was little. he loves the crunchies of the dry food but i give him mostly wet :)

thank you for the compliment ! he’s quite distinguished !

If you would want they have these cool food puzzle toys that are great for mental stimulation.. since he gets mostly wet you could put his kibble in the puzzles so he could be playing working his mind and getting treats (his dry food)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08RZDM3PN/?tag=thecatsite

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HFKDJF8/?tag=thecatsite

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07W9KDJ5B/?tag=thecatsite

The 3 pack of mice is because they sell a single one but it is almost 8 bucks where 3 are 12

I figured I'd let you know about these because they are good for working kitties minds

harris415

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you would want they have these cool food puzzle toys that are great for mental stimulation.. since he gets mostly wet you could put his kibble in the puzzles so he could be playing working his mind and getting treats (his dry food)
Amazon.com

Amazon.com

Amazon.com

The 3 pack of mice is because they sell a single one but it is almost 8 bucks where 3 are 12

I figured I'd let you know about these because they are good for working kitties minds
thanks so much!! i’ll defiantly check them out ! i made him a little puzzle out of a box but quickly took it bc it was being ripped to shreds lol ! he def needs something more sturdy !!

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
thanks so much!! i’ll defiantly check them out ! i made him a little puzzle out of a box but quickly took it bc it was being ripped to shreds lol ! he def needs something more sturdy !!
You're more than welcome. There is one that Is kind of like a puzzle and then 2 more that are different types of toys that he can bat around and play. If he has used the puzzle one you made maybe he would like the puzzle ones over the toy types? Anyway you know Iris and what he might like.

It's funny how Iris is like my Gabby in the fact they trained us to fetch hahaha. What we so for our babies lol

Last edited:

harris415

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You're more than welcome. There is one that Is kind of like a puzzle and then 2 more that are different types of toys that he can bat around and play. If he has used the puzzle one you made maybe he would like the puzzle ones over the toy types? Anyway you know Bowie and what he might like.

It's funny how Bowie is like my Gabby in the fact they trained us to fetch hahaha. What we so for our babies lol
yes Iris LOVED the puzzles ! he’s such a food driven kinda guy !! they’re so funny how they make US do the work ! your gabby sounds like such a cutie !