Cat Spraying due to other neighbourhood cats

mikes14uk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all, your advice please! :)

I posted on here a year ago as I was at ends with my cat weeing all over my house - this slowly dwindled down to just spraying in the one place (near my front door). 

I reluctantly took her back to the rescue centre this morning, as I just couldn't put up with the smell any more, and I am having new carpets fitted tomorrow throughout the house. But the way she turned and looked at me when I left her there before going and hiding in the corner of her new pen, I'm sure she was crying.. :( I miss her so dearly, I'm going to go back tomorrow to (hopefully) get her back. 

I am 100% sure her reasons for spraying are due to other cats in the area. 

I am willing to do whatever (within reasonable financial reasons) it takes to help her stay with me. I have read that an opaque covering over the window (to stop her seeing out) is a good idea, and cat scarers outside to keep away the other cats (there are at least 2/3 that come near the garden. It has also been mentioned that I should place food bowls all around the areas she sprays, is this okay to do long term? 

I have had her checked by the vet (3 different ones over the last year) and they are all sure she has no physical problems. 

She really is an outdoor cat though, any thoughts on if I could just "keep her" as an indoor cat, or just to let her out through the day?

Any thoughts much appreciated...!

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Have you tried any calming aids, like Feliway diffusers?  I've never used them but a lot of people swear by them.  Also the suggestion in the other thread about valium or something like that is an excellent one.  I'd ask the vet about it.

I bet you can't wait until you have her back again.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you're able to keep her indoor only, that will make things so much easier. You'd then be able to use tools such as a sonic cat deterrent or a motion activated sprinkler to keep the other cats away. Possibly leash training might be a good compromise. That way she can have supervised outside time with the deterrent deactivated (you can turn it back on when she's back in).

I hope you're able to find a way to manage her stress. The first step has to be keeping the other cats away. Feliway might help calm her. Spirit Essences are well worth a look too, as are Composure or Zylkene. Try those before going to stronger meds. Good luck.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

mikes14uk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Everyone,

Thank you all so much for your kind and very helpful messages - I can't reply to each point you have all made, but please be assured that I have read them all, and there is some fantastic advice that I hadn't even thought about. 

I got Kitty back this morning from the shelter - the poor girl in the animal shelter was a little upset that she was going - but very happy that she is going back to where she knows. 

I have put a post in the "Fur pictures and Videos" forum (as promised!)

Thank you all SO much once again - I'm certainly going to give some of those ideas a go, and try some of your suggestions too. 

She's a lovely cat, so is well worth all of this effort. :)