Cat sprayed me

physicsgal981

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Fingal (Fin) is a neutered, approximately 8 year old male cat. He was rescued from a hoarding situation in the summer of 2009 with about 60 other cats. About six weeks after I adopted him in September 2009 the issues began. He is status seeking and a bully. Fin would come on my lap and if I moved him because I was working on something else or there was another cat in my lap he would bite me. His biting almost always drew blood. He would redirect on other cats or my dogs if they were close by ad he didn't get his way. In 2010, at my wits end after he beat up my 22 year old cat (who has since passed) and a long talk with my vet we began behavior modification including clicker training, reinforcement and Prozac. It took a while but the treatment made Fin bearable and we finally took him off the Prozac about 18 months ago.

Fin has been okay until today. I was sitting in the couch getting ready to take the dogs out when he turned his butt towards me and started shaking his tail. I tapped his rump to get his attention, told him no and he ran off. As I was putting on my shoes I suddenly felt something warm and wet on my hand and leg. Not only was he spraying, but he was spraying me.

He will be going to the vet this week but I suspect this is more behavioral than medical. There is a new hospice foster in the house (came in New Years Eve). That cat is in renal failure, is 15 and currently kept separate from the house at large (he's scared of the dogs and Fin has not met him). But everything else is the same.

Any suggestions?

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
It certainly does sound beharioural.. Sounds like Fin is smelling the other cat on you.  I know it's a pain in the neck, but is there a way to make sure you don't have the other cat 'on' you when you're with Fin?  Or there is the Felliway option.

There could easily be other ways.. I'm hoping someone will come along with them very soon

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

physicsgal981

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
In this instance, I hadn't been around the newbie cat (I'd just gotten up). I've tried Feliway as well as the collars with Fin before with no changes in his behavior which is why we went with the Prozac.