Cat spontaneously expressing anal glands

littlecatt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all! I was hoping you could give me some perspective on an issue my 1.5 y/o male cat is having. He went to the vet about a month ago for a routine checkup but I completely forgot to mention this because it's so infrequent. Once in a blue moon, we'll just be snuggling and hanging out, and when he repositions himself he'll release a stinky clear fluid from his anus. Whenever it happens, he seems startled too, and will immediately groom his anus. I'm assuming it's from his anal glands. It's not brown or yellow so it seems like it looks healthy, and I've more so heard about the concern of them getting clogged, not spontaneously expressing. Is this something that can happen sometimes with male cats or is it a sign of something wrong?

Thanks!!

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had many male cats, and that's never happened to one of them. You might call your vet and ask about it. My guess is that it may be unusual, but not serious.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

littlecatt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow thank you so much for linking me, I'm going through these threads and had no idea other people's cats did this! I'll bring it up to the vet, it is always when we're cuddling so I'm guessing it's because he's happy, but I want to make sure it's not an issue and his glands don't need to be expressed.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Anal glands can become impacted; if they do, it is a much bigger bill and bigger procedure for the cat as they have to be opened and cleared out, not just expressed. The cat will feel poorly if they become impacted also. I would check with the vet to see if everything is okay back there.