Cat spits on bed sheets

Kell1997

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. My cat is 7 months old and I've had her since she was 9 weeks.

I know she likes blankets and kneads on them or even licks them. But I've noticed now is she spits on the bed sheets and makes them very wet. I was wondering if this behaviour is normal?

I will attach a picture

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Some cats, more than others, are 'sucklers'. They can eventually grow out of it, but a few don't. She is still young, so this behavior might dissipate over more time.

Are you sure she is actually spitting on the sheets, or just licking them like she does blankets? I don't know about spitting being normal, but given her interest in blankets, it isn't terribly surprising that she also has an interest in the sheets. It could be that she is getting the sheet wet when she grooms her paws?

Maybe it is because of the smell - be that your scent or related to laundry detergent/softeners? You could use one of the blankets she likes to cover the sheets, so they are less likely to get wet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kell1997

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. Some cats, more than others, are 'sucklers'. They can eventually grow out of it, but a few don't. She is still young, so this behavior might dissipate over more time.

Are you sure she is actually spitting on the sheets, or just licking them like she does blankets? I don't know about spitting being normal, but given her interest in blankets, it isn't terribly surprising that she also has an interest in the sheets. It could be that she is getting the sheet wet when she grooms her paws?

Maybe it is because of the smell - be that your scent or related to laundry detergent/softeners? You could use one of the blankets she likes to cover the sheets, so they are less likely to get wet.
Thank you so much for the reply. I think she directly licks them. But the amount of wetness on the sheets is so visible and also smells like saliva. I sadly keep missing it. She usually doesn't even go on the bed but i will try my best to see what exactly happens

Kell1997

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is she vomiting?
No she is generally well. Yesterday I gave her a dentallife treats and she ate it too fast and I saw her struggle for a sec. Then she went and drank lots of water. This is the only thing not normal I can't think of.

Kell1997

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No she is generally well. Yesterday I gave her a dentallife treats and she ate it too fast and I saw her struggle for a sec. Then she went and drank lots of water. This is the only thing not normal I can't think of.
She stopped licking me long ago about when she was 5, 6 months (it basically fully stopped after spaying) now she licks a blanket I've left only for her but she also goes for other blankets. It's just weird that recently she also does it to sheets and that past few times I've seen this. This time it was a lot more but I am basically 99% sure it's not pee.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah! Smurgle!
It means she's happy. :)

Cats often drool when they smurgle and, sometimes, they drool when you just pet them.
Our cat, Casper, sometimes does it enough to leave a little puddle of cat drool. ;)

If your cat is doing it enough to soak the blanket she must REALLY love you! :heartshape: