Cat Speaking?

GhostieCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! I have two almost-two year old cats. One of them is very vocal and playful. My question is, why does he go into a room and just start meowing at the wall? He'll turn around to face a corner, plop his butt down and start yowling and talking. Most of the time it even sounds like he's saying "Hello" or something like that. He isn't talking to us, because he will leave whatever room we're in to go do this in their "room". It's empty aside from their litter boxes and a few toys. Most of the time he'll either do this early in the morning or just after food time at night.

Heres a video of one of our late kittens. (We recently lost her to FIP. Rest in Peace.) You can faintly hear him talking in the background.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2: Condolence on the loss of your baby Ghost. :alright: RIP sweet girl. :angel:

I see you posted a tribute to Ghost in our Crossing the Bridge forum. Perhaps you'd also like to introduce yourself and your cats in our New Cats on the Block forum.

About your vocal boy. Is he neutered?

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe the cat is seeing something, even a speck of dust and would like to catch it or maybe the cat is just acting goofy as they sometimes do. Mine will hiss at the wall or her toys all the time.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My Lilith (persian) often sounds like she is talking. She is VERY vocal. Sometimes she sounds like a toddler girl. It sounds just like she is saying, "Hello?" and "Mama?" Always as a question. This usually happens after she wakes up from one of her many naps. She will run around the house and do this. Since DD has moved out, she will go into her room and do it. It happens so randomly that I don't know if I'd ever be able to record it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GhostieCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2: Condolence on the loss of your baby Ghost. :alright: RIP sweet girl. :angel:

I see you posted a tribute to Ghost in our Crossing the Bridge forum. Perhaps you'd also like to introduce yourself and your cats in our New Cats on the Block forum.

About your vocal boy. Is he neutered?
I will do that!

Also yes he was neutered at about 4 months by the shelter we adopted him and his sister from

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Also yes he was neutered at about 4 months by the shelter we adopted him and his sister from
Since he's neutered, then you know he's not calling for a "girlfriend". Funny though, it's just that room, and just that wall.

I doubt this will help solve the mystery of his meowing, but here's an article on Cat Sounds - Feline Vocal Communication that might be interesting.