Cat spazzed out during naptime

anymoose

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have three cats, one older male (Sparky, just under two years, neutered) and two female kittens (Edison and Tesla, just under four months old). Long story short, they all get along, for the most part, by playing and sharing nap spots.

Until something weird happened today. The three cats were resting on the couch next to me, all in that asleep but not fully asleep stage, when Tesla stretched and barely brushed against Sparky. Sparky freaked out! I'm talking ears back, hissing, clawing and just ruining the peaceful moment. Thankfully, no one was hurt.

Sparky does have that over sensitivity thing where he will freak out when being petted and try to bite/claw, but usually he shows some warning signs before doing that. He has never done it when he was woken up.

Did he do this because he was so surprised? Is this going to be a problem when they all sleep together, like what was the chance this was a one time thing? Can I prevent it?

Last edited by a moderator:

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I'm sorry no one got back to you on your questions.  

It's hard to say if this will be ongoing.  I have two male cats and a female, all about the same age.  Usually they get along fine but sometimes one of the boys and girl just get into it.  They will all be fine and then the boy approaches the girl and she just acts like she's being attacked, even if he hasn't touched her.  I just keep an eye on them to make sure it doesn't escalate.  

Sparky was probably just surprised.  How are the kitties doing now?  Co-existing peacefully, I hope.