Cat spayed post-op medication

mamamochi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! My cat got spayed this afternoon and as of writing this, she is crying and wants to be let out of her cage. And so, I let her out (she’s staying in my room by the way); she still crying and wants to go out of my room. I really don’t wanna let her out yet. She’s fully awake but still kinda groggy because of the anaesthesia—kinda tipsy if I may say lol. Now, the vet prescribed her medications for pain and antibiotics but I remembered she told me that I should give my cat the meds later this early morning (it’s 12:30am from where I live). She’s also wearing a DIY recovery suit so that her incision won’t open. I don’t know if she’s in pain because she’s crying or just want to be let out. Should I give her meds for pain and antibiotics or should I wait till like 7 or 8am to administer it? Thank you and keep safe!

Attachments

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Having experienced this with lots of cats after being spayed, I can appreciate your concerns.
Regarding the pain killers and antibiotics, she would normally have had suffient during the operation to keep her going for 24 hours. Don't give her anything earlier than the time told you by the vet (there is a danger of an overdose!).

Some cats are exceptionally lively after being spayed and want to get out of their carrier as soon as they get home. This is fine, so long as you are there to keep an eye on her. She will often fall asleep and must be protected from stairs etc. She may want to get up on a chair, so you will have to be there to make sure she doesn't fall.

She may be seeking the litter box. Most of my cats will only use the litter in its normal position. A litter box placed conveniently in the same room as a sick cat is simply ignored and the cat will try to get to its normal box. If you think this is the case, let her go as she will be stressed out if she can't get to it.

Finally, she will be looking for somewhere warm. My cats liked to climb on a radiator near the window - rather dangerous after an operation, but OK if you sit next to her to help her if she loses her balance or decides to climb down.

So, it's up to you. There are no set rules as it will depend on the layout of your home. Just keep her warm and try to stop her climbing. This may be impossible (particularly at night, when she will no doubt want to get up on your bed) so don't panic. Cats are very resilient!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mamamochi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for taking the time to reply! It’s currently 1am here and she just went to the litterbox and did her business. I quietly followed her around the house because I didn’t want to wake my parents and she did a little “inspection” lol. We are now in my room and I placed her in her cage with some warm compress (I live in a tropical country and radiators are not a thing here but it’s kinda cold atm). She’s still crying and I’m trying my best to be as patient as possible because I’m worried. 🥺💖

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She'll survive! It's probably harder for you than for her! I bet she hates being caged up - it's safest for her but she doesn't appreciate it. It will take a few days till she's back to normal but she'll be allowed to eat as soon as the effects of the anaesthetic have worn off. It sounds as though she's already recovering.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mamamochi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She is now recovering and I let her out of her cage now and I watch her movements to make sure that she doesn’t jump to high places but sometimes when I’m kinda pre-occupied she likes to jump to my parents’ bed to sleep but I make sure that I check her incision site if it kinda open and thankfully, it didn’t. Every night though she likes to sleep with me on my bed under the sheets and stay there till the morning. I’m kinda relieved that she doesn’t go down my bed because she liked it warm. It’s my first time that one of my cats got spayed so, it kind of worried me. Thank you again for replying! 🥰