Cat spayed 2 weeks ago with limited activity, but now leaking clear fluid

Em88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi y’all!! My 7 month old kitty Lola got spayed exactly two weeks ago and I’ve kept her in a bathroom for a week and then my small room for the other week. Everything was fine until today was the day she resumed normal activity, and now her incision appears to be leaking some clear fluid. Any explanation of this? The area is light red, not hot, but a little discolored ( the tiniest bit purple). Please respond if you have any input!!! The picture attached is from Tuesday while she was in my room. She is currently sleeping so I can’t get a picture right now

Attachments

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, what might have happened is that the scar formed a scab...and now she may have scratched it off, even while wearing a shirt or onsie.
The above photo looks pretty good, except for the bottom part, ...where I think the scab may have been.

Some clear liquid would be okay, ...but if it gets angry looking, oozes a lot more, especially yellow discharge, then definitely take her in to see the Vet again.
Also, send an Email to the Vet with the photos,...so that they can assure you of their opinion and what to do.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Clear liquid is serum. Plasma contains the clotting, scab-forming parts of the blood. When you take the clotting parts out of the plasma, serum is what is left. If she knocked a scab off, you would see the liquid around the area, after forming a new scab. So long as it is clear or a very pale, clear yellow, all is well. The incision actually looks good.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Incision does look good. Leaking clear fluid in small amounts like that is normal, a normal part of the healing process. There may be a small lump underneath, also normal. Watch for incision discharge turning white/yellow /green, swelling with redness, and for her to stop eating. All that is NOT normal and means infection.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Em88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all!! It looks much better this morning, just a little dried from the bit of clear fluid. I did take off her onesie for a bit yesterday but put it back on once I saw the clear fluid. I will leave that on for a few more days before taking it off! Appreciate y’all’s feedback!!