Cat spay incision

AndreeaDM

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi

I spayed my cat 2 days ago and she hates the cone. She managed to take it off a few times and get some licks on the incision site. The problem is that I can’t tighten it too much (I’ve been fitting 2-3 fingers round her neck and used that as a guidance so I don’t strangle her) because she’s had her trachea irritated by the tube and she has a bit of a gurgling noise coming from her throat. Vet said it’ll clear in a few days.

I’ve been keeping a close eye on her and she seems fine, eating drinking using litter box as usual and is also playful and bright. I’m ignoring her playful tendencies and I’ve been trying to keep her still.

Does her incision site looks normal? My vet is quite far away and they’re not the greatest when it comes to reassuring paranoid owners. I realise I might be a bit crazy but I’d rather be cautious about this than brushing it off as normal .

Thank you!

Attachments

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
...Does her incision site looks normal? My vet is quite far away and they’re not the greatest when it comes to reassuring paranoid owners. I realise I might be a bit crazy but I’d rather be cautious about this than brushing it off as normal .

Thank you!
Hi AndreeaDM AndreeaDM ...I don't think you are crazy at all. :lol:
Just a very caring and observant cat guardian. :thumbsup:

Yes, her incision site looks very good. Very clean. :)

Most spay incisions have three layers of sutures:..the abdominal wall layer, the subcutaneous layer, and then the final skin layer...is either closed with sutures or surgical glue.
With your cat, it looks like they closed the skin layer with surgical glue.

Just keep taking photos, daily, to compare.:bluepaw:
Keep an eye out for any white or yellowish discharge, or seepage,...any larger openings,... or redness with swelling and heat.

How old is your cat?
What is her name?
And could we see a photo of her face, too?
We love photos of cats, here. :catrub:

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We’ve never needed cones on the many girls we’ve spayed over the years, it’s completely normal for them to lick the area a little.

Her wound hasn’t been closed very neatly but looks fine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AndreeaDM

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
cat nap cat nap many many thanks for taking the time to reply to my thread. I had a hunch she might be fine but sometimes I need a second paid of eyes before I go on to terrorise the vet with questions. Her name is Alma, 8 month British Shorthair and is a sweet and playful kitty. Here’s a pic of my baby with her collar on which I took today and a couple more together with my other cat Pachi. It was love at first sight for these two.

Attachments

AndreeaDM

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We’ve never needed cones on the many girls we’ve spayed over the years, it’s completely normal for them to lick the area a little.

Her wound hasn’t been closed very neatly but looks fine.
I was tempted to just give up on it as well but my vet recommended it and I know it’s fine for most of them but sometimes it can go wrong too and I don’t want to take the chance.

She hates it but she’s also starting to tolerate it. Your reply is much appreciated.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
cat nap cat nap many many thanks for taking the time to reply to my thread. I had a hunch she might be fine but sometimes I need a second paid of eyes before I go on to terrorise the vet with questions. Her name is Alma, 8 month British Shorthair and is a sweet and playful kitty. Here’s a pic of my baby with her collar on which I took today and a couple more together with my other cat Pachi. It was love at first sight for these two.
Oh, wow...Alma is gorgeous! :lovecat2:
So is your Pachi, too.
Those eyes on Alma are stunning. :loveeyes:
I take it there is a size difference now...but seeing that second photo...with the heart tail...is just wonderful ! :heartshape::cloud9:
Glad to hear that they both get along, and that it was love at first sight, too. :blush:

Actually, I thought you were using one of those plastic see-through cones...and not that soft fabric donut cone.
Strange that Alma hates it...since that type of cone is the usual recommended one...after the hard plastic ones.
Maybe it's because Alma does not like anything around her neck.
Or like you mentioned,...her throat is still a bit sore.
Hopefully, her throat heals up quick, too.

***I forgot to mention, that if you see the incision site scab over,...and then the scab fall off,...that the site will look more messy, and raw, a little blood, too,...so don't panic...since it's a normal part of scar healing.
As long as the incision site does not open up too much, and can scab over and heal...then it all should go well.

I agree with @Lotsofspots, too, that a little bit of licking is fine.
Especially when it's so closed,...as yours is.
I think that the healing of the site...must make the incision site...a bit itchy for our cats.

(My girl had her spay done when she was 5.5 months, and also no cones sent home, ..but she did have external absorbable sutures...which is different to your Alma's incision site.)
It was near impossible to keep her from running around and playing.

Thanks so much for the photos. :)
I love the final one, where both cats seem to ummm...be "helping you"...with any computer work you need to get done. :crackup::lol:
How do you actually get anything done,...with these two gorgeous cats? :dunno:
Sure, Pachi seems to be behind the scenes...but Alma...seems to be up front and in the middle...hahaha. :blush:

AndreeaDM

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
cat nap cat nap Thank you for your kind words. Haha they are both too spoiled and got us wrapped around their finger :dizzycat:

Unfortunately, I’ve had a cat who died of CHF and she never displayed any signs of being unwell. Literally the healthiest of them all and ever since, I’ve developed this unreasonable fear of anything that seems odd which 99.9% of the times normal cat behaviour. :eek:

I’m comforted by your words and @Lotsofspots. I think at least one of you would have picked up if something was wrong.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
cat nap cat nap Thank you for your kind words. Haha they are both too spoiled and got us wrapped around their finger :dizzycat:

Unfortunately, I’ve had a cat who died of CHF and she never displayed any signs of being unwell. Literally the healthiest of them all and ever since, I’ve developed this unreasonable fear of anything that seems odd which 99.9% of the times normal cat behaviour. :eek:
They look like two very happy cats.
And if they have their cat guardians wrapped around their fingers...err...paws, too,...well then that sounds about right. ;) :thumbsup:

Ahhh, I understand. I'm sorry for your sudden loss. Heart failure can be like that in animals and in humans.
Though with our animals, they cannot even tell us they feel unwell, so it's understandable that you'd be more cautious, observant, and a bit fearful, whenever our cats do something out of the ordinary. :agree:

But you are right,...with cat behaviours...most times they are acting like a normal cat.
I do think it's commendable, though, ...to be observant and ask questions...since with me,...I tend to miss things...unless they are blatantly obvious...such as my cat suddenly stops eating. (Usually I will only notice it the day after.)

You being aware of your fears, is a good thing, too,...since it can help you to contain them either on paper, or by asking questions.
No harm in that..and not too mention we are all,...always learning...especially about our cats, so that's a good thing.

Spay incisions are definitely not a normal everyday situation, ..and no two are ever alike.
So I'm glad when people ask. It helps us all here, too, in seeing what looks normal and what does not.
(I'm not a vet tech or a vet,..but do find cat health and behaviour fascinating.)
I’m comforted by your words and Lotsofspots . I think at least one of you would have picked up if something was wrong.
Yeah, I always find it easier, too, whenever some other member verifies what I am seeing, too.
I know we cannot predict the future...so you'll still have to be mindful, and keep an eye out on Alma's spay site...but at least two people voted 'yes, it looks okay'.
I'm glad it gave you a little bit of assurance. :)

***There is also nothing wrong with you Sending photos,...through email or text...to your Vet, too. :greenpaw:
I would not think they would mind...Since they are the Vet professionals who performed the spay surgery... that you paid for.
So if you wake up tomorrow, and see anything else that worries you...then just send them some photos, too.
That's what I would do.

You said they were not the greatest at reassuring pet owners,...but they should practice better...and should be used to this, by now.
What are they,...new at their Vet practice,...or just bad at bedside manners?
Either way, looking at a few photos, should not be difficult for them to do.

Post as many photos, here, as you like, too.
Some members have taken daily photos, and posted them.
Whatever makes you feel more confident is good. :catrub:

AndreeaDM

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
cat nap cat nap I can’t express how comforting your replies are is and this site is certainly helpful. thank you so much for the support. I will send some pics to my vet as well in a couple of days time and post some in here. For now, I think we’re looking good.

They did not tell me about the trauma caused by the tube and when I got her back home her throat was gurgling and when I asked them about it they admitted the staff monitoring her recovery heard it too but they did not mention it at all when I picked her up. I obviously went haywire and spent all night monitoring for blue gums or any increased breathing rate. A bit dissapointing on their part.

Thankfully it’s a one off intervention so it’s not like we’re going to do this every month. Wish I could close my eyes and wake up once she’s fully recovered.😁

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
cat nap cat nap I can’t express how comforting your replies are is and this site is certainly helpful. thank you so much for the support. I will send some pics to my vet as well in a couple of days time and post some in here. For now, I think we’re looking good.

They did not tell me about the trauma caused by the tube and when I got her back home her throat was gurgling and when I asked them about it they admitted the staff monitoring her recovery heard it too but they did not mention it at all when I picked her up. I obviously went haywire and spent all night monitoring for blue gums or any increased breathing rate. A bit dissapointing on their part.
You are very welcome. Support is easy to do. :)

Gosh, yeah, I would have went haywire too. :confused2::mad2::dunno::disappointed:
I guess for them, they don't think it's big deal, but I would have been freaking out, too.

(One of my previous dogs had a similar thing happen, not the gurgling, but his bark changed for about four days. It sounded very hoarse. Also another friend's dog, during a surgery, had the tube irritation, but the clinic actually told him about it...so he didn't worry about it as much,...well he still worried,...just slightly less.)

That is just very sloppy communication on their part. :hmmm:
I don't know why some clinics are like that. It's either that they are too busy, or not enough well trained staff,...or else they just leave it all up to the Vet to do the communicating. They seem to miss reading any notes. Or else they don't think it's important enough to tell the clients.

I always have a different experience whenever I go to the Vets, depending upon who is working there, at the time.
But like you mentioned, it seems like the pet guardians have to be the ones asking all the questions.
And it's not like we know what to ask, and when. We're not the professionals. Uggghh. (Human medicine is a bit like this too). Sometimes very annoying. :gaah:
Thankfully it’s a one off intervention so it’s not like we’re going to do this every month. Wish I could close my eyes and wake up once she’s fully recovered.😁
Closing our eyes and waking up when it's all over...sounds like Bliss. :cloud9:
I wish I could do that too, for a lot of things and procedures.
Though I figure we'd be more asleep...then awake, then. Not so good.:idea: :lol:
Ah well, hoping that in our dreams...there are only good ones, with no vet procedures, surgeries or waiting for recoveries,...just "a quick 'star trek' type of scan/treatment/recovery...very science fiction like".

You're right, the one off interventions, are the best kind. :agree:
Sending you loads of Health vibes for your Alma...though she honestly looks very good...and sounds like she is in excellent hands, too. (make sure she does not accidentally walk all over your keyboard, while you're working, and accidentally press 'send'.):wink::hellocomputer::geekcat::cutecat:

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Hows your cat Alma, doing today, AndreeaDM AndreeaDM ?
Has that 'throat gurgling sound'...gone away?
Still sending you health vibes for a fast and smooth recovery. :vibes::vibes::tabbycat:

AndreeaDM

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hey cat nap cat nap sorry I’ve gone inactive, it was a bit busy for me lately. She is doing great, incision looks like it’s healing by the book and the gurgling sound in her throat has subsided.

Thankfully she has also accepted the donut cone and does not mind it at all!

We’ve halfway through with the recovery! :yess:

Thank you so much for the support!

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
hey cat nap cat nap sorry I’ve gone inactive, it was a bit busy for me lately. She is doing great, incision looks like it’s healing by the book and the gurgling sound in her throat has subsided.

Thankfully she has also accepted the donut cone and does not mind it at all!

We’ve halfway through with the recovery! :yess:

Thank you so much for the support!
Hi AndreeaDM AndreeaDM ...no worries about going inactive. :blush:
You have to spend as much time as you can with both cats, and because your kitten Alma is growing up fast, you'll also have to make time for taking tons of photos, videos, and just generally watching them for entertainment purposes, too. Even when our cats are sleeping, it's relaxing to just watch them. :cloud9:

Glad to hear that the healing is going well,...and that the gurgling sound has subsided. :thumbsup:

(It was actually the gurgling sounds...that had me a bit worried, since I never really had that happen with my cats.
So naturally I had to search this Site, and google,...to find some explanations. They were similar to what you had explained, about it being caused by irritation by the endotracheal tube, but I wanted to find out what they suggested for a remedy, or faster healing, and couldn't really find anything. :ohwell: I was hoping they would say something like warming up the wet food, or room temperature water, or such,...but most sites just said that it would go away, on its own. Hmmm. I was not impressed.)

Anyhow, the thread I found on the Cat Site, briefly explained that the tube has a balloon on it....see post #13:
Can cannot meow post spay
and that it may scrape the throat while it's being either inserted or removed.

This led me to want to see how it's actually done, but the website I found was this one...which I will put into a "spoiler"...in case you really don't like seeing the detailed visuals, or don't need this 'too much information stuff'...(or you might be like my sister, who dislikes watching medical procedures, but strangely does not mind 'fictional based hospital t.v. shows.:confused2: :dunno: )

Thank you for the update. :)
Wishing you and your fur gang, well.:clover: :goodluck::catrub::catlove:

AndreeaDM

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just update…she is doing great although she developed some fluid underneath the incision because she won’t sit still anymore. I’ve encountered this before and I’m not too worried as it’ll resolve itself. Vet saw her and said the same.
I thought she lost weight during the past few day yet imagine my surprise when the vet she actually gained 400g ahahah. I spoiled her with too many treats 😁

cat nap cat nap the intubation video is very informative, so no wonder she came back like that. At least the vet apologised and was honest that they might have been overzealous during insertion/extraction. I don’t even care who’s at fault at this point and I just want her to recover asap. It’s getting better with each day which makes me very happy.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Just update…she is doing great although she developed some fluid underneath the incision because she won’t sit still anymore. I’ve encountered this before and I’m not too worried as it’ll resolve itself. Vet saw her and said the same.
I thought she lost weight during the past few day yet imagine my surprise when the vet she actually gained 400g ahahah. I spoiled her with too many treats 😁
Hahaha...yeah, spoiling her with treats, is just part of the 'recovery phase'...I guess. :biggrin:
She must be giving you those sweet eye looks, or plaintive meows...and so you cannot help it,..but keep dishing them out.
We've all been there.
"Stay strong, AndreeaDM AndreeaDM ..stay strong."...What am I saying...it's like impossible, to ignore our cats. lol. :lol:

Really good update. Glad your Vet saw her. :thumbsup:
Ahhh...so the vet thinks it's a small seroma that will go away on it's own. That's good.
I think some cats can have slight reactions to the internal absorbable sutures, too.
(My female kitten's site was a little lumpy while healing.)
cat nap cat nap the intubation video is very informative, so no wonder she came back like that. At least the vet apologised and was honest that they might have been overzealous during insertion/extraction. I don’t even care who’s at fault at this point and I just want her to recover asap. It’s getting better with each day which makes me very happy.
Yeah, that video was informative...but a little odd, too.
I had to watch it twice.

I think I'm a little too critical...since it's good that the vet nurses were learning on a stuffed toy dog,...but I was distracted at first, because the vet tech...was just reading the instructions...off a piece a paper. (I was like, okay, I read the same thing, in the web post.)
I was hoping that it would have been a little bit different. It was still good, just strange,..since I'm hoping my vet techs...don't have to read off any papers...while doing the procedures. Whew. (Or maybe having papers, with reminders of Steps, and diagrams,...is actually better. Hoping that the instructions are in bold fonts, with a lot of colour, too.) :idea:

And the part that really got to me...was when she went to insert the Endo tube...but had some difficulty. :eek2::shocked::jawdrop:
Ummm...it's a toy dog...how hard could it be??? :dunno:
Then she does 'two takes'...when she was blowing up the cuff...because it looks like the syringe...seems to fall off the cuff inflator.
So then the video...cuts off and resumes...for another take.
Gosh...I hope they all get better at it...the more they practice. :crossfingers:

The video ends strangely, too. It's only a 4 minute video...but fades to black...for the next 3 minutes.
I thought my computer was having video card problems...but no...it was just that the editing was a bit off. :paranoid: :crackup:
I know, I know,...I am terrible...because the video WAS very, very informative,...and I should just not criticize it at all. :footinmouth:
Both ladies did a great job.

Your Vet does sound very good, and honest. :thumbsup:
Glad and happy that your Alma is getting better, and better, each day, too. :)